Dario Zanatta

6 hours ago, JamboAl said:

To add to that, Hamilton Accies operates on a tiny budget; would say CPL size.  He can’t be making much there.

If he has got married at some point along the way in Scotland he may have reasons to hang around. It can wind up being home that way for a lot of players even after their playing career is over. 

5 hours ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

I’d happily be a professional footballer in Scotland and have often thought about moving there. I’d say he’s having a solid and enjoyable career. 

This is the way I see it. How many young people pack a bag and fly to europe to bum around for a couple years, working crappy jobs because it beats staying home and rushing into a 9-5 at 22? Not to mention, if you can earn even a meagre living by playing a sport- not much beats that.

He's 25- he can retire in a couple years and become a gym teacher or whatever, but he'll always be able to look back on his younger years where he was able to live abroad by playing soccer.

According to this, take with a grain of salt, he's earning a little over $1,000/week. That's a reasonable 50k/yr salary. Not bad wages for a lot of 25 year olds- he can pay his bills, have a car, and some spending money on the side. That's a successful career IMO.

They actually do travel to all away games by bus on the day of the game which is why full-time professionalism is very much possible in Scotland even for a club with a core home support that may be under 1000 at the moment. Hamilton is centrally located and easy to get to using Scotland's motorway network so when they are in the higher divisions their average crowd can get boosted up from there into the 2000 to 3000 range by sizable away supports.

Meanwhile in North America distances between teams are much further than in Scotland so the lower budget pro leagues that hang around for decades like the ECHL in hockey and most baseball minor leagues tend to be the ones that find a way to emphasize bus rather than air travel. I'd like to see CanPL hang around and make no apology whatsoever for pointing out what should be the blindingly obvious on what they might need to do in future to accomplish that.

The same website has a list of CanPL salaries that makes interesting reading:

https://salarysport.com/football/canadian-premier-league/highest-paid/

If I am correct in thinking the Hamilton Accies numbers are in USD while the CanPL ones bizzarely appear to be in pounds sterling*, only one CanPL player (other than MLS and other loanees) earned something comparable to Dario Zanatta last summer and that was Ballou Tabla.

* - this doesn't actually appear to be the correct currency if you check some of the known MLS salaries for loanees and do the currency conversion. That calls into question whether the Hamilton Accies numbers are actually GBP ones despite the $ symbol.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

7 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

They actually do travel to all away games by bus on the day of the game which is why full-time professionalism is very much possible in Scotland even for a club with a core home support that may be under 1000 at the moment. Hamilton is centrally located and easy to get to using Scotland's motorway network so when they are in the higher divisions their average crowd can get boosted up from there into the 2000 to 3000 range by sizable away supports.

Meanwhile in North America distances between teams are much further than in Scotland so the lower budget pro leagues that hang around for decades like the ECHL in hockey and most baseball minor leagues tend to be the ones that find a way to emphasize bus rather than air travel. I'd like to see CanPL hang around and make no apology whatsoever for pointing out what should be the blindingly obvious on what they might need to do in future to accomplish that.

I just don't know how it's feasible for teams like Vancouver and Pacific to play HFX Wanderers and not have either team losing money. When Saskatoon finally gets a team, it'll be a pain to get there for anyone.

Besides, how exactly do Pacific players... live? I mean, can you actually live in Victoria on a CPL salary?

6 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I just don't know how it's feasible for teams like Vancouver and Pacific to play HFX Wanderers and not have either team losing money. When Saskatoon finally gets a team, it'll be a pain to get there for anyone.

Besides, how exactly do Pacific players... live? I mean, can you actually live in Victoria on a CPL salary?

This is why I sort of question the Windsor expansion too. Not many flights per day there. And most via Toronto 

Edited by narduch

24 minutes ago, narduch said:

This is why I sort of question the Windsor expansion too. Not many flights per day there. And most via Toronto 

I doubt it would be much better, but could the players even fly out of Detroit? I believe the US would still require a working visa if you are entering their country as a function of your job, so driving the few KMs to their airport wouldn't really be efficient either.

I think eventually the CPL will have to split into an east/west division system. A team that draws sub-1k crowds like York surely can't afford all these flights to Pacific, Vancouver, Cavalry.

23 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Another guy who has ground out a journeyman career overseas.  Good on him and he deserves much respect for it, not put downs.  This is his ceiling and so be it.  Might have some good stories to tell, like many other similar situation Canadian players abroad.

I wish Peter Schadd and Mark Rogers' "Footy Soldiers" podcast was still on. It was great to hear the CMNT players talk about such experiences (Dasovic; de Vos...). There'd be a lot more now.

14 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Doesn't he have the distinction of being the only Wycombe Wanderers player to ever be called up for international duty for any country?  I thought I heard that somewhere.  Fun fact if true.

Could be! Not sure what he's up to now.

FYI... "Footy Soldiers" should still be available on Podbean (and other places). Really good.... Dasovich, de Vos, Corazzin.... really showed the trials and tribulations (and politics) of being a Canadian footballer. Great listen. 

1 hour ago, Onelessstar said:

I wish Peter Schadd and Mark Rogers' "Footy Soldiers" podcast was still on. It was great to hear the CMNT players talk about such experiences (Dasovic; de Vos...). There'd be a lot more now.

I’ve listened to a couple Spittin Chickletts episodes where Ryan Whitney talks about his experience playing in Russia, and I’d love to hear a similar one about soccer players. We have a guy like Richie Ennin who went from Latvia to Russia to Hungary- I bet that’s a guy who has some stories.

9 hours ago, Onelessstar said:

Have you tried Footy Prime?  Because that (especially when they first started) is what this was.  Forrest and Dichio swapping stories, Brennan on now, etc.  I drifted away from it once their producer started doing "characters and voices" all the time and a bunch of the segments were just about nothing.

7 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Have you tried Footy Prime?  Because that (especially when they first started) is what this was.  Forrest and Dichio swapping stories, Brennan on now, etc.  I drifted away from it once their producer started doing "characters and voices" all the time and a bunch of the segments were just about nothing.

Yes. I still enjoy it. As you kind of say, though, too much going on sometimes.

On 2/8/2023 at 12:08 PM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The same website has a list of CanPL salaries that makes interesting reading:

https://salarysport.com/football/canadian-premier-league/highest-paid/

If I am correct in thinking the Hamilton Accies numbers are in USD while the CanPL ones bizzarely appear to be in pounds sterling*, only one CanPL player (other than MLS and other loanees) earned something comparable to Dario Zanatta last summer and that was Ballou Tabla.

* - this doesn't actually appear to be the correct currency if you check some of the known MLS salaries for loanees and do the currency conversion. That calls into question whether the Hamilton Accies numbers are actually GBP ones despite the $ symbol.

those numbers are not accurate. 

Just came on as a sub in the 70th minute v Hearts in the Scottish Cup.  Watching the game right now and interested to see how he does against his former employers.

EDIT: only saw Zanatta touch the ball twice and got a boot to the head in the penalty area.  A very scrappy 2-0 Hearts win on a windy rainy night.

8 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Can you expand to explain how you know that and in what way?

Zator was making 70k. You really think he left Cavalry for such a low salary?

Bustos was the highest paid player back in 2020 and was making 67k

Bekker I think was in the 70s as well.