Ayo Akinola

masster

5 hours ago, ChuckMe92 said:

Akinola's goal comes at the 1:00 mark here. Obviously, it would hurt the chances of him eventually becoming a Canadian international if he is to leave TFC for PSV or elsewhere in Europe.

How? He's already playing for another country while playing for a Canadian club it really can't get worse.. 

13 minutes ago, Keegan said:

How? He's already playing for another country while playing for a Canadian club it really can't get worse.. 

Well, he'd need to be a near MLS all-star to get a USMNT call-up from TFC. Look at the season Marky Delgado had, and he's not even being mentioned in the same sentence as the USMNT.

If he gets a single PSV first team minute, he'll get a call-up.

Edited by harrycoyster

35 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Well, he'd need to be a near MLS all-star to get a USMNT call-up from TFC. Look at the season Marky Delgado had, and he's not even being mentioned in the same sentence as the USMNT.

If he gets a single PSV first team minute, he'll get a call-up.

He's a loooong way from that happening. For instance, Marcel de Jong was a winger in PSV academy once upon a time...Will Johnson scored a goal per game in the Eredivise reserve league with Jong Heerenveen as a 19 yr old. He'll have to push through a bunch of prospects at Jong PSV to even get on the bench. And if he does all that, he'll have earned it.

Vanney quote about Akinola from Kurt Larson's article today:

“We think he’s a guy who’s going to be with us long-term. Coming out of the (youth) World Cup he had an opportunity to train with PSV. During this time period we’ve been discussing where he fits with us, a progressing discussion. We’re optimistic and hopeful that here very soon we’ll solidify his future with TFC and start the process of developing him and integrating him into the professional side of things.”

http://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/mls/toronto-fc/larson-columbus-crew-have-been-more-lucky-than-good-during-mls-cup-playoffs

16 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

Vanney quote about Akinola from Kurt Larson's article today:

“We think he’s a guy who’s going to be with us long-term. Coming out of the (youth) World Cup he had an opportunity to train with PSV. During this time period we’ve been discussing where he fits with us, a progressing discussion. We’re optimistic and hopeful that here very soon we’ll solidify his future with TFC and start the process of developing him and integrating him into the professional side of things.”

http://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/mls/toronto-fc/larson-columbus-crew-have-been-more-lucky-than-good-during-mls-cup-playoffs

Translation. Jordan Hamilton is probably on the way out when his contract expires, if not earlier.

12 hours ago, Ansem said:

Why are we following this guy? Seems obvious he's for the US. I'm no masochist

Personally I would like it if we either locked the threads of players playing for other national teams or put them into the World Forum if some people are interested in still following them. I don't really care if Akinola may eventually play for us if he is not good enough for the US, until he actually steps on the field for us I don't give a shit about his career and don't want his stuff clogging up the national team forum.  

1 hour ago, Grizzly said:

Personally I would like it if we either locked the threads of players playing for other national teams or put them into the World Forum if some people are interested in still following them. I don't really care if Akinola may eventually play for us if he is not good enough for the US, until he actually steps on the field for us I don't give a shit about his career and don't want his stuff clogging up the national team forum.  

I'd be down for a single thread on this forum for "Players with CMNT eligibility playing for another nation" or the like. I don't think it's worth relegating to the World Forum as a player like Akinola is probably just as likely to play for us as the US at this point. 

• 1 month later...

Somebody needs to 

A) Clearly ask of he is indeed a Canadian Citizen. We never got a clear answer

B  )  TFC fans should write to the club to show their displeasure if they feel he is a player they don't want to cheer for. Or at least a "chanting strike" whenever he is on the pitch.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Somebody needs to 

A) Clearly ask of he is indeed a Canadian Citizen. We never got a clear answer

B) TFC fans should write to the club to show their displeasure if they feel he is a player they don't want to cheer for. Or at least a "chanting strike" whenever he is on the pitch.

He was born in the US. What's the issue?

Geesh, TFC put out some cheesy photo collage for Hundal the same day they sign Akinola to the big club.  Hundal has led TFC2 in goals (tied) as a 17 year old last year and again this year.  Makes a guy wonder....I thought it was the whitecaps that hated canada??  At least Akinola is a good prospect and still might (?) discover his CDN side.  But I think I am going to take my TFC scarf down for the day in protest all the same.  

5 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Geesh, TFC put out some cheesy photo collage for Hundal the same day they sign Akinola to the big club.  Hundal has led TFC2 in goals (tied) as a 17 year old last year and again this year.  Makes a guy wonder....I thought it was the whitecaps that hated canada??  At least Akinola is a good prospect and still might (?) discover his CDN side.  But I think I am going to take my TFC scarf down for the day in protest all the same.  

To be fair to TFC, I haven't spoken to a single soccer person, Vancouver, New York or otherwise, who thinks Hundal is a better prospect than Akinola.

1 hour ago, harrycoyster said:

To be fair to TFC, I haven't spoken to a single soccer person, Vancouver, New York or otherwise, who thinks Hundal is a better prospect than Akinola.

Lol, that's so very random. Who exactly do you know in either city that can adequately pass judgement on either player?

Edited by Macksam

22 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Lol, that's so very random. Who exactly do you know in either city that can adequately pass judgement on either player?

I work in an NCAA athletic department, assistant coach a high school soccer team, and was involved in youth soccer admin in BC for years. Half of my friends have some level of coaching license and most have an interest in youth development.

Regardless, TopDrawerSoccer has Hundal as a 3 star prospect and Akinola as a 4 star prospect. As I believe I've said in this thread before, Hundal might end up as the better player...these are still teenagers after all, but the ceiling on Akinola is higher. Not claiming to be a definitive source, just an opinion.

Edited by harrycoyster

10 minutes ago, gator said:

So TFC now is developing youth players for the USMNT? Most TFC fans I know don't really give a shit and have bought the clubs' America first direction, I just can't agree with this, how many more good Canadian prospects will not get a good look because of TFC's policy?

Akinola is Canadian. You can't not let great players into your academy because they are dual-nationals. The Caps best youth prospect is currently playing for Jamaica and the Impact's best youth prospect is eligible for the Ivory Coast (though he is playing for Canada at the moment).

I'd wager upwards of 75% of high-level Canadian youth soccer players have multiple nationalities. Losing players to other nations isn't a new phenomenon and isn't going away. 

Edited by harrycoyster

36 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

I work in an NCAA athletic department, assistant coach a high school soccer team, and was involved in youth soccer admin in BC for years. Half of my friends have some level of coaching license and most have an interest in youth development.

Regardless, TopDrawerSoccer has Hundal as a 3 star prospect and Akinola as a 4 star prospect. As I believe I've said in this thread before, Hundal might end up as the better player...these are still teenagers after all, but the ceiling on Akinola is higher. Not claiming to be a definitive source, just an opinion.

I tried searching for Akinola compilation videos and the best I found were videos of some goals he scored for the USMNT. From what I saw, I can't really figure his game out yet in any adequate fashion other than he's strong on the ball and a good dribbler. I need to watch more of him. Hundal, from the videos I have seen, seems like he's got a great first touch, decent foot work, speed, can hold up the ball and is a threat in the air. He reminds me of Patrick Kluivert but I guess with Altidore, he's not someone that TFC needs right now.

38 minutes ago, gator said:

So TFC now is developing youth players for the USMNT? Most TFC fans I know don't really give a shit and have bought the clubs' America first direction, I just can't agree with this, how many more good Canadian prospects will not get a good look because of TFC's policy?

The kid's a Can-Am citizen and has the right to attend academies in Canada.

If you want TFC to care about Canada more, write the CSA and ask for a player quota (@harrycoyster don't wanna debate right now)