WCQ - Dominica at Canada, June 16, 2015 at BMO Field

Cblake

I think thats the price you have to pay with the way oso played tonight. He was trying to send through balls and really make cutting passes. Im ok with it. Better than passing back every play. He made a great thru ball to set up ricketts' goal.

Of course. People were wondering f we ad any creativity, well, there it is. Taking risks means loosing the ball 3, 4 times and then setting someone up for a goal. Now if he could only score a goal this season...

Larin is a goalscoring machine. It's not normal to score 3 goals in 7 international games. Within a couple years, he'll pulverize Dero's 22 goal record. 

Btw Ricketts with 2 (!) goals? That's double the amount he scored all season in Israel...

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was at the game tonight (my 1st cap) sitting in 123 rather than the south end. A few thoughts.

Good: Front 3. nice to see some scoring touch from someone other than DeRo. Nice to see Tesho in red&white and not red,white&blue. Also clean sheet for Stama.

Bad: Let the foot off the gas a bit late. Gave a few quality chances.

Ugly: The PK. Who the f decided Edgar should take that?

A few pics and 1 vid

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130676821@N07/sets/72157654677898935

https://flic.kr/p/tPq4cu

Well Edgar ran to grab the ball and de guzman was pointing at Edgar as if to say let him take it.

After the game Floro said Larin is the designated penalty taker. In a game which isn't 5-0 on aggregate you'll see Larin taking them.

Kenny should've taken the penalty dammit

Good to see you guys again - looking forward to July (although once again I'll probably end up getting there just in time for kickoff).  Grabbed this pic of Osorio up on the capo stand last night.

11224735_10154004694967846_1476783563852

Lots of conflicted support over in the east stands, people cheering for both teams.  (My first time in the east)

We had MLSE security force us to check our V's flags into customer service at half time because "long sticks are only allowed in the supporters section."  :(   We were only waving them when there was no play, but, yeah, my 13 year old daughter is clearly a menace who might start bopping the surrounding fans.  Anyway, we got them back...  We'll continue to bring them and we just won't take them into the concourse again.

Like dyslexic nam, I've been off the radar since 8-1 so this was a very refreshing reintroduction.

A few thoughts, after the Dominica series:

1 - The front  three of Akindele, Larin and Ricketts suddenly offer us a good attacking trio. Looking forward to seeing them develop together, over a few games. With Tissot, Haber and REB behind them, we actually have decent depth at the position.

2 - With Julian (showing signs of age), Atiba (nagging injury) and Will (injury recovery and possible hidden messages from Floro) all having some issues - I wonder if Piette (looks strong and decisive), Teibert (great in tight spaces, excellent short passing) and Osorio will anchor our midfield going forward. I would love to see that trio start a game or two, to see if they can mesh together or not.

3 - Edgar and Ledgerwood seem to be the only constants in the back four. Sure, we have loads of options at CB ad LB but I would like to see us settle with a clear, reliable group of 4-6 core defenders. Not sure if that position is suited to a revolving door.

4 - Overall, I'm impressed with the young players coming through. Hope they can keep it up, against increasingly stronger competition.

Great game last night. Great to be out supporting Canada again. Great to see a team put in a fairly professional performance.

We didn't need to do much to win this game, but I have seen Canada take these games waaaay to easily. It was nice to get 4 goals in a single game.

Everyone slagging Edgar for the penalty take, but he just wanted to shoot all night. Must have had family there or something. A couple of his long shots looked promising. He was clearly up for this game and wanted to get involved in the offense. The PK didn't go in, but the placement was actually pretty good. Even if a bit readable.

Quick note, what is the Voyageur's policy on flag capes? I have started seeing them around more and growing up I was always told the flag on it's side is disrespectful, and sitting on it sure seems like an insult. Just wondered as these discussion has come up in the States a bit and I tend to agree that, although it's great you have a flag, you have to respect it a bit.

My takeways:

Piette was/is outstanding. Such a mature preformance from a 20 year old. For me, he was one of the best and most dependable players on the field. Class.

Not only did he effectively distribute the ball and press opponents into mistakes, but his game just looked so refined last night. I would more than happy to see him as our first choice CDM moving forward, and you gotta think he'll be playing with the Deportivo first team at some point next season.

Ricketts was also fantastic. Normally I see his limitations but last night his strengths were really on show. Perhaps he's a confidence player as well - I could just see how high he was by the type of touches he made last night in the simple situations. The trick for Ricketts will be to tap into that when the opponents get tougher. The ability is there.

Conversely, I could also Larin's weaknesses on display last night, whereas I are normally left with an impression of his strengths. Despite an outstanding goal, he wasted some chances and like someone else mentioned his ball control during hold up play leaves something to be desired. That is his M.O though, both with us and in MLS - he'll waste chances but somehow find a way to put at least one in before 90 minutes are up. That consistency will come as he develops. He's still very young.

Osorio was in his own head last night. After a quite start he took a few bad touches when the ball came his way. By the end of it all he looked extremely frusturated with himself because he can do better. Hitting the post just summed it up - it wasn't his day. He needs to shake it off because he will be an important player for us. His eye for he defense splitting ball is second to none in our player pool and he definitely needs to play a role this cycle.

Not sure if you are serious?

We only had a few free kicks from distance, ref was brutal with calling fouls.  We took our few free kicks quickly, and on the ground, which was fine IMO, the one led to a scoring chance.   Perhaps Benito ordered them to hold possession and keep the FK's on the ground with the wind.

As for corners, not making excuses, but was quite windy out there, hard to be on target with the corner.  I agree, the corners were in fact quite poor, for now I will go with the wind excuse. I do agree something to work on vs stronger competition. 

3 - Edgar and Ledgerwood seem to be the only constants in the back four. Sure, we have loads of options at CB ad LB but I would like to see us settle with a clear, reliable group of 4-6 core defenders. Not sure if that position is suited to a revolving door.

If Jakovic & Hainault are healthy enough to be called in to the Gold Cup and assuming Atiba & Johnson are not good to go, I wonder if we might see Edgar a bit more in the midfield in the d-mid/central mid spot. Even without Henry (injured) and James (not put on the Gold Cup 35-man roster) there seem to more options at the back vs. the experienced central midfield anchor position.

The biggest concern from a lack of depth point of view definitely seems to be that right back position, followed by keeper (we really need to start seeing more young keepers present themselves as options for the future in the next couple of years with Lars & Kenny starting to get up there in age, even for by keeper standards).

Quick note, what is the Voyageur's policy on flag capes? I have started seeing them around more and growing up I was always told the flag on it's side is disrespectful, and sitting on it sure seems like an insult.

I see no reason we should ask people not to express pride in their country.

Does no one else find it the least bit concerning that all 4 goals last night were from open play? I'm waiting until we score from a set-piece before I pin any hopes on this team.

(ducks and runs)

I have been one of the biggest complainers about this. The fact that they scored 4 goals from open play and did nothing from set pieces was deliciously turnabout.

That's your first mistake.

For context see every game thread from 2011 to 2014 and count the number of times someone complains about only scoring from set-pieces and not from open play.

Please continue being your non-serious self. Tons of full-on laughs esp recently.

The Will Johnson stuff - gold. Even better that it went over so many heads.

I see no reason we should ask people not to express pride in their country.

I guess that's the thing, if you look up flag desecration, letting it touch the ground and using it unconventionally are both considered desecration. It isn't showing pride, it's showing the flag as being a piece of clothing.

It's actually prohibited in Canada, although I am sure that's rarely used and only when it's intentionally disrespectful.

Yeah, a flag cape is certainly not great form, but the message is obvious, and it's a message of which we all approve. I wouldn't wear a flag cape myself but I'd never criticise someone else for it.

Good game, I thought. Great day for the Alberta contingent; Ledgerwood did well, Ricketts almost had a hatty, and Roberts is cap-tied. Pity Lars couldn't come on but he seemed to be in a good mood.

Yeah, a flag cape is certainly not great form, but the message is obvious, and it's a message of which we all approve. I wouldn't wear a flag cape myself but I'd never criticise someone else for it.

Good game, I thought. Great day for the Alberta contingent; Ledgerwood did well, Ricketts almost had a hatty, and Roberts is cap-tied. Pity Lars couldn't come on but he seemed to be in a good mood.

Don't forget Akindele!

*runs*

Archived