WCQ - Dominica at Canada, June 16, 2015 at BMO Field

Cblake

For a midweek game against a minnow 10k is good. Sierra Leone eat your heart out, Mallan is ours.  :)

Clean sheet for Kenny and 4 goals for us. This has been a good warmup for the Gold Cup. I was surprised not to see Will out there but glad he made it to camp.

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great game to start watching the Nats again. Some exciting new prospects up front, where we have always been a bit thin on the international stage. Some guys that used to be prospects looking quite good (Piette looked excellent). And some familiar faces (Edgar, Ricketts, DeGuzman, etc) doing really solid work for 90 minutes. Good game all around. Oh, and apparently we cap tied someone. I like to see that.

Credit to Glenson Prince, guy kept it from being much worse and still looked like his arm was bothering him in the second half. But yes, many positives to take away from this going into the Gold Cup,

He was very good. Pity for him his defenders let everyone treat him like a shooting gallery video game. Good for us but yes he was their MOTM both games easily.

Albeit we should be dominating and scoring for fun against a team like this, still pleasing and good for team morale.

- Some well disciplined playing for the most part, great passing football and good wing play. Lots to like tonight and build upon. 

- Front three looked potent, Larin looks a real talent, class above with his hold up and all round play. So happy Tesho picked us, great cross for Ricketts second. A new lease of life for Ricketts who looked very dangerous all game. Cava-who? Sad he would thrive among these players. Hopefully Hamilton also continues to develop.

- Midfield looks strong without arguably our best two players in Johnson and Hutch.

- Defense is still a concern, too many slack mistakes. Yes Henry will come in and hopefully will continue to grow in the UK. I don't think DeJong is the answer at LB, he has looked slow and out of touch the past few games for us, we do have a good stock of younglings though with Adekugbe hopefully leading the way. 

- Great to see Roberts get a cap. 

Ricketts looked as solid as I've ever seen him. Confidence wise, this could be the spark he needs. Nice goals tonight.

Larin was a beast, Great strike for his goal.

We actually did what was expected of us against a minnow. That's huge. The pain felt in early rounds of the last World Cup Qualifying cycle can piss off for now.

Playing these early minnow rounds is great for us in a way. Lets us build cohesion, cap players, score goals, work on tactics, and develop confidence. Assumine we don't play like crap, which we didn't against Dominica. Our FIFA ranking is fine where it is ;).

Bring on the Gold Cup.

Agreed. I thought he was our best two-way player in both games. Can't believe how much he has improved.

A little disappointed in Oso tonight. Way too many giveaways.

I think thats the price you have to pay with the way oso played tonight. He was trying to send through balls and really make cutting passes. Im ok with it. Better than passing back every play. He made a great thru ball to set up ricketts' goal.

Just back home! That was a fun match with a peak to our future potential even if it was against a minnow, it seemed to me that Floro had them concentrating on just holding possession for long spells with quality passes which is something that will be required down the road if we continue to progress in CONCACAF! Larin's goal was of high quality, Oso made a great pass on one of Rickett's goals as did Akindele on the other! The crowd was in about the range I expected, the atmosphere was quite good and 3 capos seemed to have things organized for the most part! It was great to see the fans on the sides not in the Supporters Section really getting into the singing as well, an excellent  night out!

Difficult to know how excited to be about this match but we got everything we wanted here - Akindele cap-tied, Roberts cap-tied, no cards tonight (Milan now available again for game one of the next round) and seemingly no injuries. Some thoughts from where I was sitting in the stadium:

- Piette is a bulldog and reminds me very much of Gennaro Gattuso in the way he plays. You can see why coaches like him, he reads the play extremely well for a young player

- Larin finishes impressively but in terms of hold up play needs to work a bit on the ball control as he receives the ball - it was bouncing off him quite a bit although because of his size & strength he was getting away with it quite a bit

- Speaking of size and strength, I hadn't realized quite how big Akindele was (like Larin, this was the first time I'd see him play live). Definitely an upgrade in that position. Once we can add Jordan Hamilton into the mix in year or so I feel we have a lot more options up top than we normally have

- Credit to Dominica's keeper and their #9 player who I'm assuming was the other player that plays outside of their country - he looked like he was the size of an 11 year old but he was step up in terms of skill level.

I was at the game tonight (my 1st cap) sitting in 123 rather than the south end. A few thoughts.

Good: Front 3. nice to see some scoring touch from someone other than DeRo. Nice to see Tesho in red&white and not red,white&blue. Also clean sheet for Stama.

Bad: Let the foot off the gas a bit late. Gave a few quality chances.

Ugly: The PK. Who the f decided Edgar should take that?

A few pics and 1 vid

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130676821@N07/sets/72157654677898935

https://flic.kr/p/tPq4cu

I was at the game tonight (my 1st cap) sitting in 123 rather than the south end. A few thoughts.

Good: Front 3. nice to see some scoring touch from someone other than DeRo. Nice to see Tesho in red&white and not red,white&blue. Also clean sheet for Stama.

Bad: Let the foot off the gas a bit late. Gave a few quality chances.

Ugly: The PK. Who the f decided Edgar should take that?

A few pics and 1 vid

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130676821@N07/sets/72157654677898935

https://flic.kr/p/tPq4cu

Great pics!

Archived