Scott Arfield

16 minutes ago, RJB said:

He's put himself before the team, so, that doesn't really contribute at all. Get over it!

We don't actually know the full back story to what happened between him and John Herdman. Seriously doubt it will happen at this point but someone who can still do this in an Old Firm game would normally find his way onto the CMNT roster:

1 hour ago, narduch said:

It's a bit arrogant on our part to think we don't need him or that he wouldn't contribute. 

I would call him back

Why is this even being considered?  He hasn’t played for the team in since 2019 and is officially retired.  He has zero interest in the Canadian team.

5 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Why is this even being considered?  He hasn’t played for the team in since 2019 and is officially retired.  He has zero interest in the Canadian team.

You don't know what the situation is, nor does anyone else on this board, I just want our team to have the best chance of winning and he clearly would add to that and it is disappointing for whatever the reasons are that he won't be available to contribute!

The man hasn't played for Canada in over 3 years so why is he even still a factor? Did he help us get to Qatar in any way shape or form? No he didn't so why should we give him a chance to get back into the team taking a spot away from someone who actually deserves to be in the team certainly a lot more than this guy. 

Why are people thinking about this......why did we welcome Cavallini back after 2 years of ingoring the call ups,  and during which he said he regretted playing for Canada??  Why did we all clamor for Akinola when he played...what 50+ games with american youth sides???  Why are guys crying that Ugbo didnt get more playing time when he has been committed to us for what....5months???  

Arfield committed to us when we were recovering from our lowest point, played 20 times over 4 years and helped build the program back up.  He sure looks like he is healthy and can still play, plus he has bigtime european experience that might help our young team against Belgium and Croatia.  Something went sour with him and Herdman, and its a shame this hasnt been worked out because we could still use him and it would only take an injury or two and we would be f#cked in the midfield.  And dont give me the brotherhood story...it gets conviently forgotten when you are a big striker playing in League 1 or a hot young mid tearing up MLS, then there is a spot for you in the roster ASAP.    

11 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

The man hasn't played for Canada in over 3 years so why is he even still a factor? Did he help us get to Qatar in any way shape or form? No he didn't so why should we give him a chance to get back into the team taking a spot away from someone who actually deserves to be in the team certainly a lot more than this guy. 

This whole BS about guys who deserve is getting ridiculous! Do we want to win/a better chance of winning or be the special story everyone talks about for 2 mins. We are not playing CONCACAF we are playing the best in the world people. We are not running a Charity here! The only guy who deserves to be there if healthy is Hutch. Arfield should get a call to at least be a camp and go from there.  

31 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I'd say if Arfield wants back in, he needs to prove it at the Nations League. Depending on his performance & attitude there and in the fall - this could determined if he could come to Qatar.

Assuming they even call him and or if he even answers that call up

Who knows … maybe Herdman and Airfield have an understanding … maybe Rangers said unless you retire from international soccer we won’t play you and we won’t resign you … So he shares with Herdman … they agree look after your family first and so he retires from international football.  Then if and when he signs his next contract, he feels financially secure and him and Herdman talks he “unretires” from international football. 

Ultimately it will be Herdman who decides and I am good with Herdman’s decision and  however it plays out as still a dream twelve months … unbelievable to be have played meaningful football which was enough but then to make it to the World Cup … Bravo!!

4 hours ago, gwsmith63 said:

Zidane. Zlatan. Buffon. Some Messi guy too. 

😂😂😂

I would not be surprised if Ziyech from Chelsea is back with Morocco come November. 

Not sure Ziyech actually retired but ya ... 

Give Arfield a call and a chance at Nations League, if it doesn't work, or he turns down a call, that's it and we can all move on. 

Regardless, I will always have huge respect for him after helping us steering the ship in the right direction and with that monster win vs USA in 2019. Yes, I know it was 2+ years ago but I am still very grateful for his service as a CMNT fan. 

Edited by apbsmith

Give it a rest… I wonder if you guys would beg for your ex back, after she repeatedly showed no interest and called it quits with you.

The mission WC is complete. We aren’t going to the World Cup and expecting to best Belgium. It’s about the experience, exposure, and culture shift that being at this tournament will change. And it’s sustaining that since, we are already guaranteed a place at the next WC…on…home soil.

Arfield won’t be the difference, not now - not in 5 years, so why waste time trying to sell your idea/dream to your ex, while you have a younger more ready lover who you can mold and build a future with. 

All that to say….we have Kaye, Osorio, Staq, Hutch, and Piette. Hopefully Wotherspoon is back. 6 guys who have committed and deserve to play at the WC…if not them, than give the experience to Fraser, Kone, or Thompson. 

Thanks and respect for your brief commitment to the CMNT. His Canadian story has already finished. 

Edited by Shway

1 hour ago, apbsmith said:

I would not be surprised if Ziyech from Chelsea is back with Morocco come November. 

Not sure Ziyech actually retired but ya ... 

Give Arfield a call and a chance at Nations League, if it doesn't work, or he turns down a call, that's it and we can all move on. 

Regardless, I will always have huge respect for him after helping us steering the ship in the right direction and with that monster win vs USA in 2019. Yes, I know it was 2+ years ago but I am still very grateful for his service as a CMNT fan. 

Any other guy who turned their back on Canada would have been roasted left right and center , but for some reason this guy gets a pass, did none of the heavy lifting to qualify us basically turned us down but ya let’s welcome him back and cut someone who was there and played a part in helping us qualify, no thank you .

6 hours ago, gwsmith63 said:

Zidane. Zlatan. Buffon. Some Messi guy too. 

😂😂😂

Zidane. Zlatan. Buffon. Messi. Arfield. 

Which name doesn’t belong right?

Ziyech, is a different quality, he’s a legit difference maker, chance creator on his own. Not to harp on Arfield, but he is not that. 

52 minutes ago, Shway said:

Zidane. Zlatan. Buffon. Messi. Arfield. 

Which name doesn’t belong right?

Ziyech, is a different quality, he’s a legit difference maker, chance creator on his own. Not to harp on Arfield, but he is not that. 

Who added Arfield to the list?  You did. 

The post was in regards to the comment that lots of players have retired and unretired from international football. 

We get it, you don’t like Arfield coming back into the National team fold. Your opinion. Others gave theirs. 

Edited by gwsmith63

9 hours ago, Califax said:

He missed two sitters in two minutes in the Europa league quarters. As one of his biggest fans, I was looking for a rock to crawl under. haha

Glad to see he rebounded with a good outing today.

Yeah, I had the same response. In his defence, he came on cold in the 110 minute and those were his first two touches… but how did he miss that second one? But he’s always in the right place on the pitch. I thought he looked good in his 90 mins against Braga away.

Arfield is hugely experienced. He doesn’t need to prove himself in Nations League. How many Europa and Champions Champions League appearances has he had in 2021/22?   

10 minutes ago, ECW said:

Yeah, I had the same response. In his defence, he came on cold in the 110 minute and those were his first two touches… but how did he miss that second one? But he’s always in the right place on the pitch. I thought he looked good in his 90 mins against Braga away.

Arfield is hugely experienced. He doesn’t need to prove himself in Nations League. How many Europa and Champions Champions League appearances has he had in 2021/22?   

Arfield’s strength as an attacking midfielder is getting beyond the strikers on a consistent basis. 

If we have more than enough of that type of player in the squad then he probably isn’t needed. 

If we don’t, then my opinion is that he should be considered. 

1 hour ago, gwsmith63 said:

Who added Arfield to the list?  You did. 

The post was in regards to the comment that lots of players have retired and unretired from international football. 

We get it, you don’t like Arfield coming back into the National team fold. Your opinion. Others gave theirs. 

Went over your head.

The lot of players you suggested, are all legends of the game. 

Top 5 in their positions, meaning they can reverse their decision at will and not one person would question or say they don’t/didn’t want them back as again majority of those names have records for their country.

Scott holds the record for captaining a nation before actually visiting the country. 

(Correction he made 1 appearance prior in Vancouver)

Edited by Shway
made 1, not none.

2 minutes ago, Shway said:

Went over your head.

The lots of players you suggested, are all legends of the game. 

Top 5 in their positions, meaning they can reverse their decision at will and not one person would question or say they don’t/didn’t want them back as again majority of those names have records for their country.

Scott holds the record for captaining a nation before actually visiting the country. 

Sorry but absolutely nothing went over my head. 

The players I mentioned retired and unretired. That is all it was in reference to. You added Arfield to make your point.

Edited by gwsmith63

1 minute ago, gwsmith63 said:

Sorry but absolutely nothing went over my head. 

The players I mentioned retired and unretired. That is all it was in reference to. You added Arfield to make your point.

Cool, I’ll blame @narduch for making that reference.

I realize this actually went “over my head” as you weren’t being serious when you mentioned those names in reference to his statement with laughing emoji’s.

Forgive me.