NEW Mother of all Canadians Abroad

madmonte

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Goods news. Looks like he played about 20 minutes in a recently friendly. According there is only 2 other keepers on the roster neither with an overly impressive resume. 

Re: Stillo - Link to that July 14 pre-season game report below (from the Forest official website):

http://www.nottinghamforest.co.uk/news/article/helsingor-2-1-nottingham-forest-pre-season-friendly-2547178.aspx

That whole Italy situation sucked.  To even be on trial with a club like Nottingham is encouraging to say the least.

According to pops it was a very good experience. Roberto is still only 24 and potentially has another 10-13 years of professional soccer and his time Italy was apparently well spent with good clubs, coaches and teammates. The time is now for Roberto.

He's said positive things about development, but let's be honest, Stillo was being buried (unnecessarily) in Italy. 

And then Parma and the money problems, no less?  Anything someone says about development, let's be honest, there's only so many years a professional can make a living in this sport, and his career could have been further along at this point.  

If I was a professional player or related as an agent in any way, I would also spin it as positively as I could from a developmental and coaching standpoint so that other clubs would be interested, but Stillo's skills will eventually speak for themselves, I hope.

I can only speak from our experience for the keeper position. We have been in Europe, (Italy) for 8 years now and seen and been part of a lot of scenarios. A player may jump from a fourth division to a third or maybe even a second if he tuffs it out and is patient. We have found that being the best or better than the person playing isn't a guarantee you will see the field, yet if you are called on, expected to be at the level or better than the starter. Very much the case this year in Perugia where we signed only because of playing time and then we're back doored by club purchasing the starter who was on loan as the season started. Why would they play Roberto when they have money now invested in that guy? Precisley, and no matter how bad that kid played, he never came off or never failed to start next game. That sent a clear message to us and this is the sort of things readers aren't privy to as they ask, why he isn't playing. It goes on behind doors for many players especially in Europe. I will guarantee you this that starting in lower divisions as a keeper will absolutely end your carreer in lower divisions until you decide to pack it in. Thanks for the interest.

He's said positive things about development, but let's be honest, Stillo was being buried (unnecessarily) in Italy. 

And then Parma and the money problems, no less?  Anything someone says about development, let's be honest, there's only so many years a professional can make a living in this sport, and his career could have been further along at this point.  

If I was a professional player or related as an agent in any way, I would also spin it as positively as I could from a developmental and coaching standpoint so that other clubs would be interested, but Stillo's skills will eventually speak for themselves, I hope.

I either didn't see or, more likely don't remember, that post from pops but it's definitely different from what I took from Roberto's time in Italy.

Goes to show how tough it is for any player, let alone a Canadian, trying to make a go of it in Europe. Let's hope things improve for our boy in Nottingham!

Nottingham is likely mostly interested in him because he is cheap and they are under some strict transfer restrictions because of breaking rules previously. In other words unlike most keepers they would be interested in signing he fits under their transfer restrictions. That being said, it doesn't matter why they are giving him the opportunity or whether they would do so if they were allowed to sign other keepers, if he can take advantage of the situation and play well it could be the career break he needs. He has certainly had some bad luck in the past so hopefully this can make up for that somewhat.

Found a few more on USA based USL rosters

Defender     Nikola Paunic     Orange County Blues FC  
 - former TFC Academy and Caps draft pick
 - 4 appearances this season for OCB FC

Goalkeeper Greg Ranjitsingh  Louisville City FC 
  -No appearances so far this season
  - backup GK. 22yo

Midfielder    Kevin Cossette    Louisville City FC  
  - Former Impact player, signed with LC FC a few weeks ago

Can anyone with fluent Spanish translate this? Google has it as: "Racing de Ferrol has requested the transfer of Depor TELES and SAM Piette."

Deportes COPE Coruña@DCCoruna 14h14 hours agoView translation

CESIONES | El Racing de Ferrol ha pedido al Depor la cesión de TELES y SAM PIETTE.

If you search his name on Twitter it looks like he is going to be going there on loan.

Piette to be loaned to Racing Ferrol, article also says his Depor contract is until 2017, so he has two years left on it. Good all around, quite a higher level and a good club with a decent following, stadium holding over 12 thousand. So a strong third tier side, this year also in a group that is pretty balanced across the north of Spain.

Will play vs Fisk, at Coruxo.

Seems Sam is meant to fill a spot of an injured midfielder. 

Archived