NEW Mother of all Canadians Abroad

madmonte

...what a loser

Know what?  He could work as a greeter at Walmart for the same paycheque he was making, but now he gets to stay home with his kid...

We've come a long way in terms of North American opportunities...but still a ways to go...

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Don't exactly know were to put it so I guess here is as good as any. Piette's Deportivo 2 wil play Durango in the first round of the promotion playoffs. It's a home and away series. Durango was third in the Basque country division. Basque country is one of the richest regions of Spain so I don't know if that bodes well. It's a small club though representing a small city. 

If they survive this round they will face a team that has finished either 1st (and lost the direct promotion playoffs), or a number 4 finisher. Draw will be later.  

Don't exactly know were to put it so I guess here is as good as any. Piette's Deportivo 2 wil play Durango in the first round of the promotion playoffs. It's a home and away series. Durango was third in the Basque country division. Basque country is one of the richest regions of Spain so I don't know if that bodes well. It's a small club though representing a small city. 

If they survive this round they will face a team that has finished either 1st (and lost the direct promotion playoffs), or a number 4 finisher. Draw will be later.  

Durango actually finished 4th in the Basque region. I don't think that PIette will play. He isn't on Deportivo B's roster. They only have 20 names. Also, if they win, they would face a team that finished 2nd 3rd or 4th. Right now you have 54 teams. The 18 2nd place teams face the 18 4th place teams and the 18 3rd place teams eliminate themselves for the first round. In the Second round, you would get 9 1st place teams, 0-18 2nd place teams, 9 3rd place teams and 0-18 4th place teams.

If Deportivo B advances and all 2nd place teams advance, they will face a 2nd place teams.

If Deportivo B advances and at least 1 4th place team but fewer than 10 advances, they could face a 2nd or 3rd  place team.

If Deportivo B davances and at least 10 4th place teams advance, they could face a 2nd, 3rd or 4th place team.

Sam tweeted about playoffs starting so I have to imagine he's a part of the team.

I'm going off their website. Though it looks like they're talking about the 2013-14 team and Sam's name is AWOL. He wasn't called to their team during the last match. He could technically play the first round of the playoffs, but he can't play the second round due to WCQ. So, one could assume that they did that because they wrapped up second place and would rather see what the team can do without him if they make it past the first round.

Durango actually finished 4th in the Basque region. I don't think that PIette will play. He isn't on Deportivo B's roster. They only have 20 names. Also, if they win, they would face a team that finished 2nd 3rd or 4th. Right now you have 54 teams. The 18 2nd place teams face the 18 4th place teams and the 18 3rd place teams eliminate themselves for the first round. In the Second round, you would get 9 1st place teams, 0-18 2nd place teams, 9 3rd place teams and 0-18 4th place teams.

If Deportivo B advances and all 2nd place teams advance, they will face a 2nd place teams.

If Deportivo B advances and at least 1 4th place team but fewer than 10 advances, they could face a 2nd or 3rd  place team.

If Deportivo B davances and at least 10 4th place teams advance, they could face a 2nd, 3rd or 4th place team.

Good rundown, very easy system eh?

Only that yes, he is on the roster, was called up, a preview is here: http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/noticia/torremarathon/cantera/2015/05/23/fabril-encara-durango-primer-paso-ascenso/00031432417223263591598.htm

They also say he is a starter but can only play this round as has been called up by Canada. La Voz de Galicia is the leading paper in the region and usually totally reliable.

He is always referred to as Sam on Fabril, though the article gives him as Piette.

They play Sunday morning quarter to 12.

There seems to be some talk about playing the return match at the main stadium Riazor.

Depor B and Durango are probably par, Depor being a 2nd team (1st time miraculously saved from relegation with 2 late goals at Camp Nou today) of young guys probably fairly technical, while Durango I imagine typically Basque gutsy and tough. All their players are Basque born. So Depor playing last leg at home helps. Getting through 3 rounds though is hard (though Aleman's Valladolid B did it last year). Chances I might see them here in Barcelona are slim.

I'm going to a similar level playoff match to this in BCN tomorrow, Europa-Jerez de los Caballeros, usually great atmospheres. 

Seems like a fairly lateral move to me. Regionalliga may be a bit higher level than USL Pro, but the difference between Whitecaps and a mid-table B2 club is a wash. The likely reason for the move - other than pay - is that there is less of a backlog in central midfield at Dusseldorf.

Seems like a fairly lateral move to me. Regionalliga may be a bit higher level than USL Pro, but the difference between Whitecaps and a mid-table B2 club is a wash. The likely reason for the move - other than pay - is that there is less of a backlog in central midfield at Dusseldorf.

I need links to highlights for your qualitative analysis or else this is poppycock

How can it be a lateral move if he didn't have a club before? He went from sans club to Düsseldorf, that's a big step forward in my book.

He could have stayed in Vancouver and played USL Pro but chose to leave. That's what i am comparing this move to.

I'm going to compare this move to Piette.  Personally I think Piette is a more talented player that could not make the transition from Dusseldorf II to I.  So I think what others are saying is correct, this is a move to 4th tier Germany.  I don't think this should be looked at as potential 2nd tier Germany, not unless he absolutely amazes there.  I hope he does!  I just don't see it.

Not sure who is saying it's a move to their first team? He signed a deal with their reserves. That said, a 21 yr old should reasonably expect to contend for a spot on the first team in the future. They have two veteran centre mids out of contract next summer and if Alderson does well this year he could climb up the depth chart.

I'm going to compare this move to Piette. Personally I think Piette is a more talented player that could not make the transition from Dusseldorf II to I. So I think what others are saying is correct, this is a move to 4th tier Germany. I don't think this should be looked at as potential 2nd tier Germany, not unless he absolutely amazes there. I hope he does! I just don't see it.

Why are you saying he couldn't make the transition? As a 20 year old Piette was making the bench regularly towards the end of the end of last season. Even grabbed a few first team appearances. It was looking like only a matter of time before he became a regular there. He never left for lack of opportunity...

Archived