NEW Mother of all Canadians Abroad

madmonte

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple corrections. More coming later this week.

Mahir Hadziresic - SSV Jahn Regensburg II (German Oberliga Bayern Nord) (5) <- Club unknown
Srdjan Gajic - SSV Jahn Regensburg II (German Oberliga Bayern Nord) (5) <-- Now with SV Seligenporten

Terry Galloway - VfL Leverkusen (German Oberliga Mittelrhein) (5) <-- Now with SV Rot-Schwarz Neubrück (lower division than you track)

Mateo Restrepo is now with FC Ingolstadt U19

Derek Cornelius was promoted from the U-19 to the senior side (Regionalliga Nord) of VfB Lübeck

Yankee-German Canuck Cedric Blank, is now part of FC Astoria Walldorf II (Verbandsliga Nordbaden)

Vince Sasso plays for Woodbridge Strikers: league1ontario.ca/woodbridge-strikers-roster

Mahir Hadziresic - SSV Jahn Regensburg II (German Oberliga Bayern Nord) (5) <- Club unknown

Srdjan Gajic - SSV Jahn Regensburg II (German Oberliga Bayern Nord) (5) <-- Now with SV Seligenporten

Terry Galloway - VfL Leverkusen (German Oberliga Mittelrhein) (5) <-- Now with SV Rot-Schwarz Neubrück (lower division than you track)

Derek Cornelius was promoted from the U-19 to the senior side (Regionalliga Nord) of VfB Lübeck

Yankee-German Canuck Cedric Blank, is now part of FC Astoria Walldorf II (Verbandsliga Nordbaden)

Vince Sasso plays for Woodbridge Strikers: league1ontario.ca/woodbridge-strikers-roster

Shame it didn't work out for Sasso in Germany. Great guy. Went to school with him.

Cornelius hasn't made even the bench yet for Lubeck in their first 2 games but a 17 year old getting promoted to the first team of a 4th division team (and a fairly big 4th division team with a lot of promotion possibilities) is not too bad.

Some guy named Anthony Ricketts has signed a one year contract with Boluspor in The Turkish Firt League (second division)

http://www.boluspor.org.tr/haberdetay.asp?id=2837

Oh, he plays on the left!!!!!!! He plays on the right!!!!!! Anthony Ricketts makes Messi look $%ite

He just Tweeted it out. Why is it a thing with a large # of Canadians that they can't stay at a club for more than a year.

He just Tweeted it out. Why is it a thing with a large # of Canadians that they can't stay at a club for more than a year.

Sadly because they're usually not good enough.

He was a starter for Hapoel Haifa so it is hard to argue he is not good enough. It is not like he sat on the bench all season. I think we are all aware of Ricketts limitations but I don't think a transfer from Israeli first division to Turkish 2nd is really a step down. He is not that great at an international level but he is an ok player for leagues like Israeli 1st division or Turkish 2nd division. If he could ever learn to finish he would probably be able to play at a higher level.

Ricketts has confidence in himself which is nice for a Canadian.  We've seen him do some crazy things in Europe (i.e. his goal against Besiktas) but when he tries them for Canada they never come off and you can tell he is frustrated along with us.  For instance against Costa Rica a few weeks back when he tried to run from half and hit a screamer way off target.  One day he is going to score an unbelievable goal for Canada and everyone here is going to love him as we are a fickle bunch.   

I'm glad he's back in Turkey.  He had success there so why not?  If he can carry on the way he was playing his first go around he can probably find a lower level team in the first division eventually.

He was a starter for Hapoel Haifa so it is hard to argue he is not good enough. It is not like he sat on the bench all season. I think we are all aware of Ricketts limitations but I don't think a transfer from Israeli first division to Turkish 2nd is really a step down. He is not that great at an international level but he is an ok player for leagues like Israeli 1st division or Turkish 2nd division. If he could ever learn to finish he would probably be able to play at a higher level.

Strictly based on him only scoring one goal for Hapoel, I think he had a disappointing season relative to his historical production with his previous clubs; particularly Bucaspor and Timisoara. I'm hopeful he'll score more goals this season.

Just to add a quote from Ricketts to support this:

“The team was very unbalanced and I ended up having to play my first match at right back against the top side in Israel,” said Ricketts. “We won 2-0 and from that point on, the manager kept me there for the rest of the season.”

So there is a pretty legitimate reason as to why he had 1 goal all year and also as to why he wouldn't be back with the team.  If they need a right back, they need a right back.  I've seen a ton of people comparing his strike right to other players in the pool but that is hardly fair when its RB vs. ST.  

Just to add a quote from Ricketts to support this:

“The team was very unbalanced and I ended up having to play my first match at right back against the top side in Israel,” said Ricketts. “We won 2-0 and from that point on, the manager kept me there for the rest of the season.”

So there is a pretty legitimate reason as to why he had 1 goal all year and also as to why he wouldn't be back with the team.  If they need a right back, they need a right back.  I've seen a ton of people comparing his strike right to other players in the pool but that is hardly fair when its RB vs. ST.  

Right back you say....

Born Canadian / two-time Portugese international Daniel Fernandez in out on a loan to San Antonio Scorpions.

Funny thing is, he was supposed to have signed for half a year contract, but instead it was a 4,5 year contract. Now FC Twente is happy to have unloaded him (at least for the time being), as he was making quite the amount of cash in Twente. Not that he has ever played a minute for them. Could you believe the amateurism in this story?

Archived