NEW Mother of all Canadians Abroad

madmonte

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Born Canadian / two-time Portugese international Daniel Fernandez in out on a loan to San Antonio Scorpions.

Funny thing is, he was supposed to have signed for half a year contract, but instead it was a 4,5 year contract. Now FC Twente is happy to have unloaded him (at least for the time being), as he was making quite the amount of cash in Twente. Not that he has ever played a minute for them. Could you believe the amateurism in this story?

I suppose this means Kempin is leaving  San Antonio. I like him, good young keeper.

I just went through the German players,

You are missing:

Thomas Malette, plays for SpVgg SV Weiden in Bayernliga Nord (5)

Cedric Blank, plays for FC Astoria Waldorf II in Verbandsliga Nordbaden (6)

Robert Kerek, plays for SV Endingen in Verbandsliga Suedbaden (6)

I am not 100% sure about where Mahir Hadziresic is. I would imagine he will find a new club, as he is pretty good.

Marek Malamura is no longer with FC Augsburg (had this confirmed by Daniel Stanese directly).

Tristan Watson is no longer with Baunatal. Ayone know if Roger Thompson is still there?

I am also currently unsure about Tre Crosby, Evan Brandon John, who both used to play for Erzgebirge Aue.

In addition, I am wondering if Andrew Barsalona currently has a club.

Born Canadian / two-time Portugese international Daniel Fernandez in out on a loan to San Antonio Scorpions.

Funny thing is, he was supposed to have signed for half a year contract, but instead it was a 4,5 year contract. Now FC Twente is happy to have unloaded him (at least for the time being), as he was making quite the amount of cash in Twente. Not that he has ever played a minute for them. Could you believe the amateurism in this story?

There is nothing amateur about a 400,000 euro salary and successive loan deals, it is fully part of professional football. 

Further, the player has to accept the loan. Some do so for playing time, others refuse and prefer to stick it out and try to get some at the first club. For keepers that is harder than any others. Every time Daniel has seen he was going to have trouble playing he has sought out a loan.

Thing is, for the first season ever, really, Dani hardly played last year, and he is still young for a keeper. So the deal to San Antonio makes sense, I would imagine they are paying part but not all of his salary, otherwise they'd be the club paying most to a keeper in North America (unless maybe Rimando is making more).

San Antonio coach is Alen Marcina, who apart from also being a Vancouverite (Surrey), was at PAOK Salonika when Dani arrived as a kid, I think they were there for a year together, if not just the first preseason maybe. That must have pretty well all to do with this move.

Dani's first cap vs. Kuwait, being a friendly vs. a non-A side Kuwait team, did not cap tie him. The second cap, late vs. Finland, in 2009, did. Pretty sure he cannot come back to Canada, so really does not belong on this thread however much I happen to appreciate him.

There is nothing amateur about a 400,000 euro salary and successive loan deals, it is fully part of professional football. 

Further, the player has to accept the loan. Some do so for playing time, others refuse and prefer to stick it out and try to get some at the first club. For keepers that is harder than any others. Every time Daniel has seen he was going to have trouble playing he has sought out a loan.

Thing is, for the first season ever, really, Dani hardly played last year, and he is still young for a keeper. So the deal to San Antonio makes sense, I would imagine they are paying part but not all of his salary, otherwise they'd be the club paying most to a keeper in North America (unless maybe Rimando is making more).

San Antonio coach is Alen Marcina, who apart from also being a Vancouverite (Surrey), was at PAOK Salonika when Dani arrived as a kid, I think they were there for a year together, if not just the first preseason maybe. That must have pretty well all to do with this move.

Dani's first cap vs. Kuwait, being a friendly vs. a non-A side Kuwait team, did not cap tie him. The second cap, late vs. Finland, in 2009, did. Pretty sure he cannot come back to Canada, so really does not belong on this thread however much I happen to appreciate him.

The game against Finland was a friendly?

If it was, Fernandes would still be eligible for us I believe. Only official senior competition can cap tie you nowadays.

The game against Finland was a friendly?

If it was, Fernandes would still be eligible for us I believe. Only official senior competition can cap tie you nowadays.

Correct. He played U21 qualifiers and two senior friendlies for Portugal. Never played a youth qualifier or U20WC game for us so is eligible to switch to us.

JPG75 is correct. Dani was never officially capped for Portugal and is eligible for Canada.  The CSA has been in contact with Dani, but there needs to be some consistent and very successful playing time at an acceptably high level, obviously, for any further conversation to take place. 

Maybe 32 isn't "old" for a keeper but it certainly isn't young.  

As for this being the first year he hasn't played that isn't really true.  According to transfermarkt (over all competitions):

14/15: 4 appearances

13/14: 28 appearances 

12/13: 5 appearances 

11/12: 2 appearances

10/11: 7 appearances

http://www.transfermarkt.com/daniel-fernandes/leistungsdaten/spieler/10254/plus/1?saison=2010

So in fact he has only played consistently one of the last 5 years.  

the NASL.com article says he used his one time switch

Link please.

JPG75 is correct. Dani was never officially capped for Portugal and is eligible for Canada.  The CSA has been in contact with Dani, but there needs to be some consistent and very successful playing time at an acceptably high level, obviously, for any further conversation to take place. 

He didn't need to use his one-time switch. Anyways, nothing to see here. Carry on.

Why did he not need to use his one-time switch? How does his situation compare to Lavery's? Identical? Different?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caolan_Lavery

Rules for the thread is they must not have last played an international game for a different country at any level..  If it turns out that any player on this list does not meet that criteria, I shall remove them, and as such Dani does not belong on this list.

Rules for the thread is they must not have last played an international game for a different country at any level..  If it turns out that any player on this list does not meet that criteria, I shall remove them, and as such Dani does not belong on this list.

Right, don't put him on the list, but let us talk about him. 

I am not going to argue about the rules, if he is still eligible, well fine. He seemed to think he'd been fully capped by Portugal a few years ago, shortly after the WC.

About him playing little, I'll say this: one thing is to get into the mix and play as a 2nd keeper, play the Cup, some games, another is to not get in at all. 

A fellow V could say a bit about conversations with the Whitecaps 4  few years ago as well.

I was referring to him getting a 4,5 year contract instead of the intended 0,5 year contract, which is al over the Dutch soccer media at the moment. That wouldn't happen to any of us if it was about car-payments. Non-surprisingly, FC Twente is in deep financial troubles at the moment. 

If he's available, cap him. You could always decide not call him up again. But it's good to have options, especially when he's playing in North America anyway. 

Link please.

Why did he not need to use his one-time switch? How does his situation compare to Lavery's? Identical? Different?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caolan_Lavery

Lavery played in an official youth match for us, therefore he had to use his switch.

Unnamed Trialist, Dani was capped permanently under the old rules which forbade someone from switching after the age of 21. Rules have since changed which is how we lost Asmir Begovic.

Regardless if he deserves such a large salary, the Dutch media is all about referring to him as an expensive mistake and a prime example of FC Twente throwing money away: http://m.soccernews.nl/news/323851/Update:_FC_Twente_bevestigt_vertrek_van_duur_foutje_naar_Amerika. Maybe it is a case of crapping on the previous administration, but publicizing that he was to be brought on for 4.5 months but signed for 4.5 years suggests that FC Twente really wanted him gone.

I just went through the German players,

You are missing:

Thomas Malette, plays for SpVgg SV Weiden in Bayernliga Nord (5)

Cedric Blank, plays for FC Astoria Waldorf II in Verbandsliga Nordbaden (6)

Robert Kerek, plays for SV Endingen in Verbandsliga Suedbaden (6)

I am not 100% sure about where Mahir Hadziresic is. I would imagine he will find a new club, as he is pretty good.

Marek Malamura is no longer with FC Augsburg (had this confirmed by Daniel Stanese directly).

Tristan Watson is no longer with Baunatal. Ayone know if Roger Thompson is still there?

I am also currently unsure about Tre Crosby, Evan Brandon John, who both used to play for Erzgebirge Aue.

I have confirmation that neither Tre Crosby nor Brandon John still play for Erzgebirge Aue.

It looks like former Whitecaps youth player and current Canadian youth international Dario Zanatta has joined Hearts in Scotland, according to his twitter bio.

https://twitter.com/dario_zanatta

He was previously on trial in Sweden and also played in a couple of games for the Ipswich reserves:

http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/27048/canadian-trialist-in-action-for-u21s

http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/27101/u21s-lose-at-birmingham

Looks like the signing is now official:

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-deal-for-canadian-kid-dario-zanatta-1-3850388

Thompson left the club as well, it seems: http://www.mittelhessen.de/fb_standard/fussballkalender-hinterland/blaetterkatalog/pdf/complete.pdf

Re Thunder Dan

Well I don't believe he was only going to sign for 4.5 months, it makes no sense. Unless you are talking about a second deal at Twente, which would not make sense if they did not want him. Sorry, can't follow the Dutch article.

He had a three year contract at Bochum starting 2008-09 season, making more or less the same; they stayed up the first year with him starting, and he did not play much of the second, was loaned out midseason, they went down to second division that year, without him. They continued to loan him out, now not wanting to pay him that salary in B2. The deal with Cluj was inviting as they were going to play Champions, but there were some odd things happening at that club, he did not play and wanted out midseason, and he got the offer at Twente in January 2012, where they remembered him from his strong Bochum season. McClaren had just come in midseason as coach, so that looked good for Dani, being wanted by such a coach, trying to rebuild.

Has been loaned since, had a good season at OFI Crete two years ago.

I don-t think he'd have accepted a 4.5 month deal at Twente, unless they are saying that he was supposed to come in for the ending of that 2011-2012 season alone. Still, not the sort of deal you sign at that age, half a season at 28 years old. I don't believe it, sounds bogus to me. When in the history of football have you heard of a top flight team confusing months with years, it is not logical.

Another V and I helped set up conversations between him and Lenarduzzi in the summer of 2011, before signing for Cluj, he was in Greece at the time, last time I spoke with him. But even then I remember mentioning to him that the highest paid keeper in MLS, at that time Mondragon, was making quite a bit less than what his contract had been at Bochum, contract structures in MLS were below what he was looking for.

Of course it doesn't make sense, that was the whole point. Maybe it had to do with forgetting about options, I've heard that before. It's not so strange for a guy that's in a cull de sac career-wise, to take a chance at another club. Even if it's only or a short period (and boy did I wish I could sign a 5 month contract for 400 k a month!).

Luca Gasparotto has been loaned to Greenock Morton (newly promoted to Scottish Championship) until January. Hopefully he can display the same form that he had at Airdrieonians last year that made him Young Player of the Year.

Excited to be joining @Morton_FC on loan until January! Looking forward to the first game tomorrow 

Luca Gasparotto has been loaned to Greenock Morton (newly promoted to Scottish Championship) until January. Hopefully he can display the same form that he had at Airdrieonians last year that made him Young Player of the Year.

Excited to be joining @Morton_FC on loan until January! Looking forward to the first game tomorrow 

Same league as Rangers FC so this is not much of a step down.

Archived