NEW Mother of all Canadians Abroad

madmonte

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to their official website he is with the "A-junioren" squad. I'm guessing that's the U-19 team.

http://www.sc-heerenveen.nl/voetbal/jeugdteams/a-junioren

Surprised he wasn't called up for the last U-20 cycle.

Paco is a '96 so he has now finished playing youth football. Will be interesting to see if he has been signed to play for Jong Heerenveen (Reserve team) in the fall.

Simeon Jackson is training with the Chicago Fire.

Perfect.

You know, I really don't know what took him so long. I hope it's a trial and I hope Yallop signs him on. He'd be in a battle with their Nigerian DP who's name escapes me at the moment.

Simeon Jackson is training with the Chicago Fire.

Hmmmmm... Not sure how I feel about this. It's really hard to say if SJ could do well in MLS. We've seen Issey do okay and score a few goals and I think Simeon has more talent than him. Simeon of a couple years ago would have been great but he seems to have really dropped in the last 12-18 months.

Borges was impressive for Canada. Hopefully this move is great for his progression as a footballer and he stays involved with the NT program.

Couldn't agree more. Also glad to see that Canadian academies, regardless of which, are helping groom players not just eligible for their own teams but that other larger clubs in the world are taking notice of.

It has already been reported that REB is leaving Stuttgart Kickers but the following article does not give him a very good review and says it was the club's decision not to re-sign him. Under the category, Weakest Player, the author states that with such a good team this year it is hard to pick weak players although the subs were a bit weak causing the coach to use the same starting 11. It then says more was expected from the fast REB. Despite 5 goals in 35 games he could only seldom perform at a high level and for that reason his contract was not renewed. 

http://www.liga3-online.de/saisonfazit-kickers-traumsaison-trotz-verpassten-aufstiegs/

Schwächster Spieler

An dieser Stelle fällt es schwer, aus einer gut funktionierenden Mannschaft, die eine starke Saison spielte, einen schwächsten Akteur zu benennen. So könnte man jedoch meinen, dass die Ersatzspieler sich zu wenig aufgedrängt haben, da Horst Steffen auch nach Niederlagen oftmals die gleiche Elf auf den Platz schickte. Doch auch vom schnellen Außenstürmer Randy Edwini-Bonsu wurde beispielsweise mehr erwartet. Der kanadische Nationalspieler konnte seine Leistung bei den Blauen trotz fünf Toren in 35 Spielen nur selten auf den Platz bringen, deshalb wurde sein Vertrag auch nicht verlängert.

Europe has gotten so competitive in player quality with the EU expansion, global EPL money, increased South American scouting, Asian countries developing players and etc.. It's a lot harder to make it over there at a good level than it was for the DeVos', Forrest's and Peschosolido's. 

Europe has gotten so competitive in player quality with the EU expansion, global EPL money, increased South American scouting, Asian countries developing players and etc.. It's a lot harder to make it over there at a good level than it was for the DeVos', Forrest's and Peschosolido's.

I agree with this. Other continents (Asia, Africa) are making big gains in player development for export to Europe, whereas there might have previously been a bit of a void outside of European/ South American players.

So in the last 6 months, scathing reviews for many of our European players.  REB, David Edgar, Marcus Haber, Simeon Jackson...by fans, by articles...for non-national team players you could add Fraser Aird to that list...

Yuk.

Wondering if the next generation of Canadian players - the ones who have been training in professional academies since the age of 11 and 12 - will have better success in hyper-competitive environments. I have seen some of these very young kids play here and I'm blown away by their skill levels and understanding of what to do on the field. Their technical skills will be much higher than Canadian players of the past and they will have been playing in more competitive environments through their academy years. Maybe just wishful thinking?

Maybe not.  Toronto Raptors started existing in 1995, and inspired a generation.  In 1995 there was what, 3 Canadians in the NBA?   And now?

Time will tell.

Raptors have sweet f@ck all to do with the recent quantum leap in elite development in the Toronto area IMO. It has everything to do with the advent of AAU basketball, exposing elite players to much stronger training and competition over the summer, as well as greater exposure to top US prep schools and College scouts.  

Raptors have sweet f@ck all to do with the recent quantum leap in elite development in the Toronto area IMO. It has everything to do with the advent of AAU basketball, exposing elite players to much stronger training and competition over the summer, as well as greater exposure to top US prep schools and College scouts.

Andrew Wiggins, Tristan Thompson, Nick Stauskis, etc... have all talked about the Carter & McGrady days inspired them.

Here's an article from a couple years ago.

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/sports/raptors/2013/06/26/vince_carters_kids_generation_of_basketball_stars_inspired_by_carter_comes_of_age.html

Andrew Wiggins, Tristan Thompson, Nick Stauskis, etc... have all talked about the Carter & McGrady days inspired them.

Here's an article from a couple years ago.

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/sports/raptors/2013/06/26/vince_carters_kids_generation_of_basketball_stars_inspired_by_carter_comes_of_age.html

Yes and many other kids from the area were inspired by the Raptors during the 90's and 2000's and it never translated to them developing into top NBA talent.

This view kills me. These kids may never have made it to the highest levels of the game without top level training, but neither would they have without a hunger and drive to do so. Have you ever tried to teach a kid something that they weren't interested in learning? They're masters of feigning stupidity.

There are also countless top level footballers that credit the time they spent playing in the streets for a lot of their skill development. Just like Gretzky speaks of the hours he spent practicing on the back yard pond.

Archived