NEW Mother of all Canadians Abroad

madmonte

I disagree jpg.  Hockey is popular in Canada.  That's why we have a tonne of Canadian hockey players.  The Raptors help make basketball popular in Canada. 

How many kids were on the court pretending to be Vince Carter?

Hopefully some will pretend to be Giovinco or Teibert or something.  Any stronger training available in Canada, and better programs are a result of more people being interested in those programs.  They would never have existed if there wasn't a larger demand for them.  Any Canadian kids taking advantage of American programs was a result of them showing enough talent to be invited there, or enough interest to pay to be there, depending on the program.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For most of my childhood there was no local soccer, no league with Canadian teams etc.  My son however (1 year old) will grow up watching TFC, whitecaps and Impact with his old man the way I watched hockey and baseball with mine.  I think having the Canadian teams and homegrown talent to look up to definitely has an impact what sports kids choose to play.  And if nobody plays as kids then there is a zero% chance of producing any Andrew Wiggins or Rus Tieberts. 

Edwini-Bonsu is joining VfR Aalen. His 3. Liga odyssey continues.

Hainault's former club. Relegated from 2nd division but with some severe financial difficulties now. They almost did not receive their licence and only managed to get enough capital together by cutting their reserve team (I am surprised the DFB allows that). He signed a 2 year contract.

http://www.vfr-aalen.de/aktuelles/news/news-details/artikel/drexler-bleibt-edwini-bonsu-kommt/

Reading Deportivo sites, some things on Piette.

-Seems he is up for contract renewal this year and they consider him one of a handful of priorities. One site says there are in fact B-team two priorities, he being one. 

-They expect the Gold Cup will mean he'll have better offers coming his way, which is why there is a question about how much they can or should offer him.

-As Deportivo will lose half the first team, with 12 leaving, talk was that Piette would round out the first team squad for preseason until more came on board. Some even say that it could mean some first team preseason games, and if they do well chances beyond that. Though being at the Gold Cup may cut into part of the advantage that would have given him to see first team action.

Not sure if Haidar is staying with the club, or if this was mentioned elsewhere, but a quick congrats to Haidar Al-Shaibani who got promotion from 5th to 4th tier France with Le Puy, who won the Group F title in CFA 2 last year.  Haidar played every minute of the season for them.

Keven Aleman's loan to Belen is over.  He is back with Herediano for the upcoming season.  Costa Rica's Winter Season runs August - November.

http://www.nacion.com/deportes/futbol-costa-rica/Limon_FC-Primera_Division_0_1491050968.html

According to this press release, Herediano is honoured to have agreed to release Aleman for the Pan Am games and the Olympic Qualifiers.  

http://www.herediano.com/noticias/22-06-15/keven-aleman-representara-a-canada

More Piette: fan sites say he has offers from MLS, and no word that he has been renewed so technically he is out of contract.

Unless they agreed to re-sign him but did not want to announce it until after Gold Cup, though not even the slightest rumour about that.

The Deportivo B team does not start pre-season until July 20.

Wow, that's late. Most leagues in Europe start in August. But a good outing at the gold cup would definitely boost his stock. I hope he stays in Europe but with a better club. He's still young if he fails at a higher level he can always try MLS (and get his rights locked by one club).

Wow, that's late. Most leagues in Europe start in August. But a good outing at the gold cup would definitely boost his stock. I hope he stays in Europe but with a better club. He's still young if he fails at a higher level he can always try MLS (and get his rights locked by one club).

I wonder who owns his rights at the moment.  Wherever he goes I hope it's somewhere where he can get valuable 1st team minutes, if that's MLS so be it.

It looks like former Whitecaps youth player and current Canadian youth international Dario Zanatta has joined Hearts in Scotland, according to his twitter bio.

https://twitter.com/dario_zanatta

He was previously on trial in Sweden and also played in a couple of games for the Ipswich reserves:

http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/27048/canadian-trialist-in-action-for-u21s

http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/27101/u21s-lose-at-birmingham

Daniel Haber was on trial with FC Schonberg 95 (German Regionalliga) after trialing with VfB Lubeck. He played in a 3-1 friendly win.

translated:

""I'm with the player still not sure," Wittfot sounded after 3: 1 test win on Wednesday rather skeptical. Haber comes Apollon Limassol and is striker. VfB he seemed to have left it a good idea, but there you are probably in the attack already overstaffed."

http://www.hlsports.de/index.php?content=news&view=10301

"No longer be there, however is Daniel Haber, which was also reviewed by the FC 95 and used in this test match. Haber, who was active last for Erstligist Apollon Limassol in Cyprus, but could not set accents as a striker. ,, He could not convince us, "says Sven Wittfot (photo), sports director of FC 95 in a nutshell, closing thus again the acts of partners."

http://www.fupa.net/berichte/fc-95-gewinnt-testspiel-und-testet-zwei-kicker-320594.html

Trialing for a 4th division German seems like a step down from the Cypriot 1st division?? 

Especially when the team WAS 5th division, just got promoted, and saying you aren't quality enough to join their side, basically.  Bad news for Haber is i understand that translation correctly.

Can anyone with fluent Spanish translate this? Google has it as: "Racing de Ferrol has requested the transfer of Depor TELES and SAM Piette."

CESIONES | El Racing de Ferrol ha pedido al Depor la cesión de TELES y SAM PIETTE.

wasn't he originally going to sign with Racing de Ferrol until Deportivo came in with an offer?

Yes, that is all it says. And I can find no more on this, nor any updates on his status with Deportivo. Technically, as you say, being out of contract there would not have to be a cession unless he signed a pre-agreement with Depor. 

Racing is a step up if you think playing a higher tier is better. But it could mean Piette would not have his chances with the first side of La Coruña.

The second team of Deportivo starts its pre-season Monday. He is not officially called to appear, and I see the roster is short, they even have some of their u-19s with the squad. I suspect they may give Samuel some time, as he has not had any off. Or he might decide to show up anyways to sort out his club situation. 

Funny, searching, there is another player with the exact same name, a Belgian, signed for a 3rd tier Basque team, that threw me off at first.

Piette, resolved: he is on holiday and reports to preseason camp on Monday August 3. This suggests he has in fact re-signed with them and is under contract. 

This is from the official Depor site. They do not even say whether he reporting to the first or second team camp. Both teams start their season on the weekend of the 22nd of August.

Piette Ends His Holidays on August 3rd

Archived