Canada vs. Honduras In-Game Thread (R)

superbrad

The counter to this is what was written about JDG2 deciding not to play Canada on the Score blog

"..the strident disconnect between professed “love of country” and the desire to play for Holland because “they regularly make World Cups” cannot be explained away, apologized for, reasoned with. It’s a disgrace. We’re not an outfit or a means to a starting XI, or a mere shirt, or flag. You can’t profess to be a proud Canadian and then use your national team colours as leverage.

We’re Canada."

Not really relevant to what I was saying. These fans are not being self serving, they are not trading up. We laud praise on Will Johnson, but he has lived much of his life in the United States, should we deem that he is being disrespectfull to the USA for saying that he is proud of Canada, or that he interacts with Canadian fans? Of course we should'nt Will is proud of his roots and represents Canada very well as an underdog country in many ways to the USA. I have lived in the USA for long periods, and you better damn well beleive that when the Canadian team comes through I would be out in full force cheering for Canada, because I identify 100% as a Canadian, those are my roots and I am proud to be a Canadian, I am not disrespecting the USA I am merely keeping true to myself.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It has nothing to do with opponents. I was at both games and the ratio to home and away support was the same, if not a better showing from Honduras.

It has everything to do with what's going on with Toronto FC (fans feeling ripped off, terrible team, clueless front office, etc) and having to be in the loop to even know these games are going on. I guess that last part is the CSA's fault.

I was at both games as well. Memory is a funny thing, but the Jamaican support was much, much better. I have great long term memory and I am positive the support for the Jamaican game, a game that was sold out, was a 60/40 split in favour of us. This game, which wasn't even sold out was like 85/15 for us, and that's being generous to the Honduran support. However, I do agree that TFC has left a bad taste in everyone's mouth and that counts as well.

Yeah the south end of the west stands was pretty much yellow that night and outside of 104 it was probably a 50/50 split on the east side. If you want to look it up, just search "Canada Jamaica 2008" on YT (unfortunately though they only have one clip and its not a fun one to watch)

Watching the game on replay, and maybe we should take hint from Cuba and shorten the away anthems (again).

Yeah the south end of the west stands was pretty much yellow that night and outside of 104 it was probably a 50/50 split on the east side. If you want to look it up, just search "Canada Jamaica 2008" on YT (unfortunately though they only have one clip and its not a fun one to watch)

Watching the game on replay, and maybe we should take hint from Cuba and shorten the away anthems (again).

Yeah, I have no idea how parkingatlamport can say the opposition support was better yesterday compared to the Jamaica game in 2008. It wasn't even close.

I haven't stumbled across any highlights yet (not that there were any)... but has anyone? I just want to see how we looked and sounded in the South end really

Most extended highlights I have found are off a Honduras site:

http://www.youtube.com/user/HONDUFUT

If you understand some spanish, there is a fantastic rant by the announcer near the end after a Honduras messed up play. The team has nothing, it is nothing like the team that qualified last round, etc etc.

If i was on canada team i would score so many free kicks canada needs me i can curve the ball so hard

Anyway this game puts a monkey in our chances of qualifying from this stage, need at least 1 win vs panama to have a good chance, I doubt they get that.

The team created lots of chances and played well defensively, they need a Batistuta or ronaldo on their team to be clinical. Also practice free kicks for **** sakes, its not that hard a free kick in training is the same as a FK in a game. Canada should have won 3-1, 4-1

more importantly i saw first time in a long time that the players were really trying hard trying their best. I like it, maybe it's because of increased home support?

If you understand some spanish, there is a fantastic rant by the announcer near the end after a Honduras messed up play. The team has nothing, it is nothing like the team that qualified last round, etc etc.

Yes. I can undertstand a bit of spanish.

Esto momentos nos tenemos nada.... Nada...... Esta la realita

I noticed he said "la noche triste a Toronto" towards the end. That made me chuckle.

Thanks for posting this. I've been DYING to see highlights of the match since I was working yesterday. I felt McKenna and Edgar's frustrations watching those missed chances.

Stephen Brunt was on the radio discussing the game last night. The one interesting tidbit he threw in there was that he'd heard Simeon was not in shape and that's why he never started a game this summer.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/2012/06/13/soccer_euro_2012_stephen_brunt_with_jeff_blair/?utm_source=Soccer%20Lineup%20RSS-Images&utm_medium=feed&utm_content=Brunt%20on%20de%20Guzman%2C%20Canada%20%26%20Euro%202012

Stephen Brunt was on the radio discussing the game last night. The one interesting tidbit he threw in there was that he'd heard Simeon was not in shape and that's why he never started a game this summer.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/2012/06/13/soccer_euro_2012_stephen_brunt_with_jeff_blair/?utm_source=Soccer%20Lineup%20RSS-Images&utm_medium=feed&utm_content=Brunt%20on%20de%20Guzman%2C%20Canada%20%26%20Euro%202012

I heard that yesterday too. It is much more understandable that he has seen so little action this round if that is a real concern.

I'm sorry but this is a bit ridiculous. This is a sport, just because someone cheers for Honduras does'nt mean that they don't respect Canada as a nation. It means that they may be proud of their heritage and don't want to feel like they have to assimilate completely and they show that by cheering for a poor country that does'nt have many things to be proud of, soccer being one of them. Blowing fans cheering for Honduras out of proportion is ridiculous. Sure it would be nice if they supported Canada as well, but this is sport and many immigrants or children of immigrants hold onto a sense of pride from where they came from and we should not extrapolate that to not appreciating Canada as a country.

Canada is a free country, so if someone wants to cheer for their parents country, they can go right ahead and do so. However, if those Canadians cheering for Honduras tell a newly arrived Honduran-Canadian, who is a hell of alot more HONDURAN than they are, that he is a traitor for cheering for his new country then that tells me a lot about them. Also, a lot of what i write is not just the direct result of Tuesday night, but of listening to young, Canadian-born children of immigrants make stupid comments about Canada and how much better their parents country is.

Anyways, i have yet to comment on the game itself.

When i first saw the players lining up i realized Ledgerwood was playing RW, which pretty much said to me that Hart was more afraid to lose the game then he wanted to win it. You rarely qualify for a WC with that attitude.

Overall i thought it was a very sloppy game between two teams that couldn't do much right offensively. Honduras are an absolute embarassment compared to where they were 2 years ago. It's amazing what a few retirements and out of form players can do to a team, not to mention losing the best coach they've had in the last 30 years. We were better than them, but we squandered way too many of our chances. That open header in injury time absolutely needs to go in the back of the net. Sigh. Well, we need 3 points at home against Panama now.

I haven't been closely reading the Hondo threads lately but after having seen the Honduras game (and the previous two games) I am more hopeful than I was a month ago. Yes, they are having a hard time finishing but that will come. More importantly I've seen a team cohesiveness that I haven't seen in a long time. This cycle of players has been mentally fragile but they've really seemed to have found some resolve.

I really like Borjan, his positive attitude is infectious and I can't think of one player who is a liability in the starting eleven. We have some depth and the bench strength is good. Jazic and McKenna have never played better and we still have Jakovic and Kluka in reserve.

Not trying to be a bandwagon jumper as I have roundly criticised them in the past but this is the best I've seen them in a long time. They look fitter too. The strange thing is the defeatist comments Hart and Dero seem to make before and after the matches. Maybe it's a bluff like JDG2

• 2 months later...

Sorry if I missed this, but does anyone have the entire Canada vs. Honduras match available to post? I live in the U.S. and haven't been able to re-watch the entire match, only the 2 mins of highlights on YouTube. This would be much appreciated!

I haven't been closely reading the Hondo threads lately but after having seen the Honduras game (and the previous two games) I am more hopeful than I was a month ago. Yes, they are having a hard time finishing but that will come. More importantly I've seen a team cohesiveness that I haven't seen in a long time. This cycle of players has been mentally fragile but they've really seemed to have found some resolve.

I really like Borjan, his positive attitude is infectious and I can't think of one player who is a liability in the starting eleven. We have some depth and the bench strength is good. Jazic and McKenna have never played better and we still have Jakovic and Kluka in reserve.

Not trying to be a bandwagon jumper as I have roundly criticised them in the past but this is the best I've seen them in a long time. They look fitter too. The strange thing is the defeatist comments Hart and Dero seem to make before and after the matches. Maybe it's a bluff like JDG2

Don't sweat, it's still early on the bandwagon. We won't call anyone bandwagon jumpers until we actually make the world cup, if we do. And even then positivity should always be welcomed with more positivity. Otherwise, what is the point of it?

Anyways, I think De Ro and hart's objective isn't to derail, but to make sure there is a down to earth attitude that instills a good work ethic, because they definitely still have a lot of work to do.

Don't sweat, it's still early on the bandwagon. We won't call anyone bandwagon jumpers until we actually make the world cup, if we do. And even then positivity should always be welcomed with more positivity. Otherwise, what is the point of it?

Anyways, I think De Ro and hart's objective isn't to derail, but to make sure there is a down to earth attitude that instills a good work ethic, because they definitely still have a lot of work to do.

Definitely, Hart and DeRo know what's up having been around for a while. A downfall of our last cycle was our naivety imo, everyone kind of acted like the Gold Cup from the year before would translate into performances in WCQ.

I know this is very, very late, but I'm just re-watching this game for the first time since seeing it live. How the hell does Wilson Palacios stay on the pitch during this game? He should have been sent off for accumulation of yellows by at least the end of the first half. He lashes out at DeRo, has a very bad two footed challenge on Hutchinson and seems to be putting bad challenges in everywhere.

Archived