Canada vs. Honduras In-Game Thread (R)

superbrad

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well if you told me ahead of time we'd be up by 3 points over Honduras after two games, I'd gladly take it. Pleased with the effort and the defensive organization - we've given up no goals and very few chances in the first two games, and that's going to keep us in every game no matter the location.

However if we could have landed one of those headers we'd practically be through over Honduras at this stage, so that's the downside. I felt the line-up was too defensive minded for a home game - really only 3 attacking players as starters, and that includes Atiba. When I saw the line-up I was thinking that 0-0 could easily be the outcome. Not the greatest result and we are really overdue for a win, but given that neither of the remaining road games are guaranteed losses, I'll take it for now. Certainly there wasn't the same sense of disappointment in the stadium after this opening home draw that there was against Jamaica 4 years ago, probably helped by the knowledge that we looked good for the most part, didn't give up soft goals and are 3 points up on these guys.

Those guys were ripe for the taking this evening...and we didn't put the sword to them. However, I was pleased with the overall team effort this evening (including the supporters--massive props!). I still feel that the group we'll be decided on the final match day of the group.

I think we would have taken the 4 points of 6 before the start of the tournament .

Hmmm. I believed all along (going in) that we needed six right off the bat. Four is not the end of the world but it now means that we have to win the two legged tie (ie: get at least four points) against Panama in September. With six points in the bag and (ideally) if Panama wouldnt have upset Honduras, we could have been in good shape by just splitting the points (ie: win loss, or Draw draw) in those two Sept matches.

Going to Panama is going to be very tough.

i do not get having jackson on the bench behind ricketts, hume and ledgerwood....i mean seriously?

it is very frustrating....we cant score goals to save our lives and our only premiership player, who happens to be a striker is lower on the depth chart than BL3, league 1 and romania 2 players?

For us, can only complain about the subs being a bit late.

Just want to echo that thought in a BIG way.

What's going on with Hart? "Dale Mitchell Disease" or just a lack of faith in the players he's consigned to the bench? Come on, man.

Speaking of big, a really, really BIG shout out to the Canada support tonight. Looked fantastic on the television. Absolutely owned BMO tonight against a well supported adversary. How often can we say we've done something like that?

Well done!

I still feel that the group we'll be decided on the final match day of the group.

I was hoping it wouldnt come to that. That game will be in Honduras. I think that we now have to hope that Honduras trips up again. Maybe a draw against Cuba or another loss to Panama. That way they might have nothing to play for in that game. The problem with this draw, is that we are not in the drivers seat anymore for one of he two spots.

the timing of harts substitutions were horrible. ricketts was up and warming up before the end of the first half. and wasn't brought on until what? 60+ minutes? at that time he should have made a double substitution (with jackson who warmed up and sat down several times in the 2nd half and yet didn't come on the pitch until the last few minutes of the match. an hume was on with maybe 10 minutes to go?

my point is, he brought on 3 attacking players (so he wasn't putting guys on to hold the scoreline) so why not put them all in earlier so taht they have a better chance of making a difference?

de ro had very few people to lay the ball off to and some fresh legs that could possibly driblle around some of teh tired honduran defenders would have been ideal.

overall, i thought the team played well but the final 1/3 was just plain disappointing. very little creativity. even issey or pacheco might have ben nice to see supporting the striker/s.

My most likely scenario now is a win vs Cuba and two ties against Panama, giving us a likely 9 pts "for sure". Have to figure Hon beats Cuba twice, giving them 7 pts "for sure". It will all boil down to what we do against Hon away and how they play in their second leg vs Panama. A tie in Hon should give us the 2nd spot. It will be tough for Hon to get more than 9 pts if they don't beat us when we visit.

this result isnt the end of the world...we will get something in panama and honduras...they wont shut us out.

im calling it right now panama canada in the hex.

how far have we come though.....not long ago we were all watching these games in the wee hours of the night on tape delay after blue jays games....our players in front of 55 000 empty seats in edmonton....today we have a beautiful soccer specific stadium, with a great pro canada crowd, first class media production.

we are light years ahead of a decade ago.....we will break through soon.

well done teedot...as far as i'm concerned every game can be played there...finally we are starting to build a home field advantage.

Absolutely owned BMO tonight against a well supported adversary. e!

I was actually surprised. Given the doom and gloom that we had heard about the invasion of foreign support. Yes, there was honduran support, but nothing even remote close to what we have see in other WCQ cyles. Mind you, they didnt score, so you never got to hear them. What was frustrating in the game in Montreal was when they scored, thats when you realised their impact on the match atmosphere. Other than that, they are not organized as groups.

Mid week game had a lot to do with it, i think.

Just got back from the game a little while ago and the entire south end was super tense. Seemed like everyone felt that a goal was bound to happen. There was a sense of disappointment when the last free kick went wide. Almost as if we lost 2 points.

A lot of people (myself included) thought that Edgar scored and started going nuts. lol

Anyways, we're doing ok. Just needed to bring Jackson on much sooner I thought. But the next game is a must win. Will need an early goal or the Panamanians will start to flop around from the oh so strong winds off Lake Ontario...

Kudos to the CSA for not letting in any away team fans into the south end. Keep them out.

1 more thing. Defensively, this team is MUUUCH better. Also liked seeing Milan try to get the crowd into it. Worked wonders and we did out best as the 12th man. Sadly Honduras also had a 12th man as the ref... anyways... it's CONCACAF...

Edgar was strong in both areas of the field. He and McKenna will be disappointed with their misses from set play headers, but his open play performance at RB was impressive.

The central midfield was good defensively, maintaining their shape, getting in timely challenges, and moving the ball out of defence. Just need more dynamism out of one or two of them offensively.

Blair sums it up real well in the G&M tonight. Well written piece. But I'm going to hate to read all the other stories of the "fish that got away" tonight. The after-math really is torture in games like these.

Coaches should be judged on how well their subs do when they come on. Hart didn't quite give us the lift we needed. But maybe he knows something we don't...

Anyways, thanks to the Voyageurs tonight for a good atmosphere. I'll be there for the September game, and hopefully a big win to set us back up.

I thought defense performed very well and looked very solid in both games, no gripes there. OO has played really well and is bringing exactly what he has shown all season long, great hold up play and is still very mobile he is taylor made for the system we play, just need better support and runs off him.

I understand Hart's strategy, he just did not want to lose this game at all costs, if we lose this game our chances are hurt and we are back into the same position as 4 years ago, I understand it but I still think we had to come out more offensive at home, sure we don't lose much momentum and their is'nt all doom and gloom but this Honduras side was weak, should have gone for the throat. He worked around our defensive strengths, but if hes going to do that I'd rather some form of a 4-4-2 and at least let OO have some support to try and get it done bythemselves.

Just got back from the game a little while ago and the entire south end was super tense. Seemed like everyone felt that a goal was bound to happen. There was a sense of disappointment when the last free kick went wide. Almost as if we lost 2 points.

A lot of people (myself included) thought that Edgar scored and started going nuts. lol

Anyways, we're doing ok. Just needed to bring Jackson on much sooner I thought. But the next game is a must win. Will need an early goal or the Panamanians will start to flop around from the oh so strong winds off Lake Ontario...

Kudos to the CSA for not letting in any away team fans into the south end. Keep them out.

1 more thing. Defensively, this team is MUUUCH better. Also liked seeing Milan try to get the crowd into it. Worked wonders and we did out best as the 12th man. Sadly Honduras also had a 12th man as the ref... anyways... it's CONCACAF...

I didn't see the ref as being a MAJOR factor tonight. One or two bad calls, perhaps one more card due to Honduras. But did anyone feel that the ref blew our chances tonight? I don't. Don't think the players do either....nope...this falls on the shoulders of the players who couldn't put the ball in the back of the onion bag.

Edgar was strong in both areas of the field. He and McKenna will be disappointed with their misses from set play headers, but his open play performance at RB was impressive.

The central midfield was good defensively, maintaining their shape, getting in timely challenges, and moving the ball out of defence. Just need more dynamism out of one or two of them offensively.

We needed Edgar to step up like this because we had a big question mark at RB after Stalteri was done with the Nats. What is the status of De Jong’s health? I would feel really comfortable with a backline of

De Jong – Hainault – Mc Kenna – Edgar

With Klukowski and Jakovic on the bench.

That is a very good defence for Concacaf.

More dynamism out of the entire team is necessary. There were many occasions where I thought guys like Occean and Johnson should've recognized where an open passing lane was and slid in there so that they could receive a through ball. Instead they didn't and the guy who should've had the oppurtunity to thread a through ball was forced to either take a long shot or send a cross into the box and hope that Occean or whoever could bring it down.

It also looked to me like our team likes to play down the left a lot which makes sense because that's where DeRo plays. The problem is that Jazic doesn't have the speed to make overlapping runs to help out DeRo which made it easy for Honduras to put a body on DeRo at all times. I don't pretend to know the answer to how to solve this but I don't think that putting de Jong at LB will help at all. I think that it should probably be Morgan but then you run into the experience issue.

My take on the game... I was pleasantly surprised how Canada dictated the match from the beginning, unlike in USA game where we essentially sat back until the beginning of 2nd half. Midfield play was excellent through JDG and Hutch and Johnson was all over the field like three lung Park.

Despite our missed chances, things are looking up. Our vastly improved possession play and defensive cohesiveness will go a long way and if we can steal a result in Honduras and/or Panama, we should be through to the Hex.

oh btw, REF SUCKED.

this result isnt the end of the world...we will get something in panama and honduras...they wont shut us out.

im calling it right now panama canada in the hex.

how far have we come though.....not long ago we were all watching these games in the wee hours of the night on tape delay after blue jays games....our players in front of 55 000 empty seats in edmonton....today we have a beautiful soccer specific stadium, with a great pro canada crowd, first class media production.

we are light years ahead of a decade ago.....we will break through soon.

well done teedot...as far as i'm concerned every game can be played there...finally we are starting to build a home field advantage.

AMEN

I rmbr watching games when Holger Osieck was coaching and TSN or was it Sportsnet was showing the game tape delayed at 11pm.....we are definitely moving ahead. More slowly than we would like to go ahead but I believe that once we get and extra 2-3teams at USL Pro/NASL level(on top of Ottawa) then we will see the results within a few years.

AMEN

I rmbr watching games when Holger Osieck was coaching and TSN or was it Sportsnet was showing the game tape delayed at 11pm.....we are definitely moving ahead. More slowly than we would like to go ahead but I believe that once we get and extra 2-3teams at USL Pro/NASL level(on top of Ottawa) then we will see the results within a few years.

In addition I think we need to remember that Honduras were in the World Cup 2 years ago and we handled them. Sure they have lost a step, and sure we should have buried chances, but the fact that we were clearly the better team has to be encouraging.

Hmmm. I believed all along (going in) that we needed six right off the bat. Four is not the end of the world but it now means that we have to win the two legged tie (ie: get at least four points) against Panama in September. With six points in the bag and (ideally) if Panama wouldnt have upset Honduras, we could have been in good shape by just splitting the points (ie: win loss, or Draw draw) in those two Sept matches.

Going to Panama is going to be very tough.

Yup. We needed six. I don't see us getting anything from Panama or away to Honduras. A win at home to Cuba and away should be expected. But seven points in this group won't be worth much.

Bravo Toronto. We are DECADES away from a smiliar showing in Vancouver. Decades.

In addition I think we need to remember that Honduras were in the World Cup 2 years ago and we handled them. Sure they have lost a step, and sure we should have buried chances, but the fact that we were clearly the better team has to be encouraging.
We have to take something positive from these three games and build on that. The formation and the approach is working well. We need to finish our chances and we need more creativity, but I feel that will come, especially when Hutch is 100%. (When does Simpson get back?) We are still very much in the hunt. There is much work yet to do, but our fate is in our hands. 4 points from 2 games is a decent start. Of the six games we are to play, these two games were the second and third easiest--ostensibly--so we have some heavy lifting yet to do, but nobody on this team, player or coaching staff, are deluded about any of this. They are focused, cohesive, and growing in confidence etc.

Archived