Jesse Marsch: CanMNT manager

8 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Even though their show is kinda crap, I still think Forrest and Brennan have a right to be a little miffed at not even being called, especially Forrest who has had such a high profile and involvement for so long.

I don't understand why they'd think they'd be called in any way.  CSA have to call every former player before decisions now? Forrest is just a grumpy guy yelling at the clouds at this point.  Any time I hear he's got an opinion about something it's a generic old person belittling the new thing pov. Could not care less, and I'm glad Blue apparently feels the same.  Keep making moves, not trying to appease the grumpy old guy 

Just listened to NFP and totally agree with Dunlap being critical of the narrative we shouldn't have hired an American. I totally get the desire to have a Canadian in the role, but how many of those clamouring for a Canadian were back Biello?

Like he said, the passport shouldn't matter.

Few days after the news and I am still estatic about it. We'll have to see how it goes, but I am still feeling pretty damn good about it. EPL, German Bundesliga, and Champions League on his resume, with multiple Austrian Bundesliga titles, and multiple MLS supporters shields. Knows the region and was an assistant to an international manager, now he gets his chance.

The boys said we got the best candidate who checks the most boxes and hard to deny that. Nothing is guaranteed, but we've put ourselves in a great position, arguably a much better position, post-Herdman (who is now a legend).  

3 hours ago, jhoops__ said:

We have such a cynical media landscape here in Canada.   These same media guys often point out and complain about the negativity within football in our country but after Jesse’s hiring guys like Wheeler focus mostly on the potential negatives.   There’s no chance Jesse is going to be influenced on his squad selection.   It’s disrespectful to him to even insinuate such a thing.

This 100%

I find some of the media guys so hypocritical. They complain about how fractured the community is. But they play a role in fracturing it and prevent unification.

As for Wheeler, he is a CSB shill. He is employed by them. Non of this is surprising. 

The Marsch hire seems to have completely dissolved any remaining sanity that big USMNT twitter accounts had left- Tactical Manager is currently going through it right now. Canada simultaneously had to settle for a bad coach because we’re a poor and irrelevant nation, but still Marsch is somehow “slightly better” than Berhalter. Also, because the Canadian MLS teams chipped in to afford him, they should be removed from the league and sent to the CPL. First match against the states on our turf might have him think about changing sports. 

10 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

The Marsch hire seems to have completely dissolved any remaining sanity that big USMNT twitter accounts had left- Tactical Manager is currently going through it right now. Canada simultaneously had to settle for a bad coach because we’re a poor and irrelevant nation, but still Marsch is somehow “slightly better” than Berhalter. Also, because the Canadian MLS teams chipped in to afford him, they should be removed from the league and sent to the CPL. First match against the states on our turf might have him think about changing sports. 

One of the best things I ever did while I was on Twitter was muting that account. 

2 minutes ago, narduch said:

I blocked him. His takes are too stupid 

I love his takes. It's so clear he has such an inferiority complex. He's terrified of the CANMNT and hates that the Canadian MLS teams produce the best talent in the league. He knows deep down if the USMNT had to play as many away days as a regular country, they'd be ranked #45 in the world.

1 hour ago, Mattd97 said:

I don't understand why they'd think they'd be called in any way.  CSA have to call every former player before decisions now? Forrest is just a grumpy guy yelling at the clouds at this point.  Any time I hear he's got an opinion about something it's a generic old person belittling the new thing pov. Could not care less, and I'm glad Blue apparently feels the same.  Keep making moves, not trying to appease the grumpy old guy 

Is Forrest just a media guy now? This may be stating the obvious, but I don't think having a member of the media involved in the hiring process is a good idea. Friend, Simpson, Ricketts are all actively involved in management with Canadian clubs.  

The only thing that is going to change my mind on this hire is winning, I am not one saying we should have hired a Canadian because Marsch checks more boxes than any Canadian candidate but I certainly would have preferred a manager from anywhere other than the US if the qualifications were similar or greater, I am just not a fan of their soccer and know it all attitude that prevails amongst many! The "MLS Canada Manager" moniker is also a turn off to me, I get the financial sponsor aspect of it but it is weird to me, once again I will overlook all of this is we are successful under this set up, if we aren't my cynicism will ramp up!

3 minutes ago, gator said:

The only thing that is going to change my mind on this hire is winning, I am not one saying we should have hired a Canadian because Marsch checks more boxes than any Canadian candidate but I certainly would have preferred a manager from anywhere other than the US if the qualifications were similar or greater, I am just not a fan of their soccer and know it all attitude that prevails amongst many! The "MLS Canada Manager" moniker is also a turn off to me, I get the financial sponsor aspect of it but it is weird to me, once again I will overlook all of this is we are successful under this set up, if we aren't my cynicism will ramp up!

This encapsulates the narrative I was talking about perfectly. Thanks for sharing that!

Re: The MLS Canada Manager moniker....Unusual for sure, but also innovative, and a means to an end. We are better with it than without, despite the quirkiness.

Re: The American attitude, I think we all share that disdain, but Marsch hasn't displayed any of that, plus he's on our side now, so one of their best is helping us and not them...great!

I peronsally isolate that American attitude from Marsch until he makes me do otherwise. 

And I am looking forward to beating the states with one of their own, who was burnt by their institution and embraced ours, and who has better credentials than the coach they stood by in the name of nepotsim and ineptitude. That day is going to be sweet when it comes, and their meltdown will hopefully be glorious. I live for such things :D

3 hours ago, Cicero said:

Ricketts and Atiba have very limited coaching or management experience. It's not clear to me why they should be involved. I don't know much about Simpson and Friend, but I guess they've shown some promise picking coaches at Pacific.

Do you need coaching experience to hire a coach?  Both have played for many coaches at high levels.  And, I like the players' proxy hypothesis mentioned earlier.  Could be something to that.  All about the fit! 

I do hiring rather often and the people I want on a selection committee are people who think rationally, critically and most importantly, can work together as a committee.  I am so glad we found people who could do that and were former players and now in significant roles in MLS AND CPL.  But most of all, you don’t want a committee of 15 people, that just slows down the process.  Sorry Brennan and Forrest that you weren’t invited…maybe there was a reason.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I do hiring rather often and the people I want on a selection committee are people who think rationally, critically and most importantly, can work together as a committee.  I am so glad we found people who could do that and were former players and now in significant roles in MLS AND CPL.  But most of all, you don’t want a committee of 15 people, that just slows down the process.  Sorry Brennan and Forrest that you weren’t invited…maybe there was a reason.

The mood I got from the first episode after the hire was "sulky" and the second did nothing to change that.

Won't change the fact that Forrest gave me some of the only great club and country moments I had as a teenager/young adult and will always be a bit biased but there you go.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

I watched most of Leeds games when he was manager and wasn't terribly impressed and wasn't too thrilled when his name was brought up as a possible new manager for Canada. However, after Biello's spell in charge and the long wait, I'm actually rather pleased now. We could have done much, much worse and I was kind of expecting that.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Kent said:

But what do you think they want out of it? Are these teams that often try to convince national team managers that they shouldn't take some of their players suddenly want the team fully stocked with their players? Or do we think they are contributing this money so that they can outright say no when Choiniere, Osorio, Laryea, or Ahmed get called up? The national team home games have already been defaulting to BMO Field for well over a decade, with Vancouver often getting the leftovers that can't be done in Toronto, so I don't think they are paying for hosting home games either.

It's been mentioned by someone (can't remember who, this thread is massive and I've been trying to get through it for days) but the most likely scenario is that they are contributing this money because they know that growing the domestic game is good for them. A typical Euro Snob fan that gets convinced that the national team is worth supporting will probably be more likely to eventually start supporting their local MLS team as well. So it's in their best interests that Canada put in a good showing at Copa America, the World Cup, and every other competition they go into. It can also signal to the hardcore Canada fans that think MLS is too American that these teams care about the CMNT.

In my opinion, realistically if this MLS money was done for power reasons, the worst it could do is convince Marsch to call up a guy like Deandre Kerr instead of a guy like Charles-Andreas Brym to warm our bench, or maybe to get their academy players a monopoly on the youth teams. Although that is practically already the case, and maybe MLS teams would have to sponsor a position directly associated with the youth teams for that to happen.

The next 2 years is a massive window opportunity for MLS to be front and centre as part of the overall marketing of the 2026 World Cup. This isn't a coincidence that they wanted "MLS" in the title, it's just marketing.

1-As for the whole CSB being cut out, I can see the MLS money to pay for the coach being conditional to CPL being cut out of that arrangement --> "Take our money and put the focus only on MLS or you get nothing" - exclusive deals are a common thing (before people cry conspiracy theories). I'm thinking that the CPL owners weren't invited to contribute, which would have made sense from a business and PR point of view and they wouldn't want to pass on the opportunity to increase the league's visibility leading up to 2026.

I think they were cut out from it to keep CPL in their niche corner and Kevin Blue went along with it. The deal is until 2026, very possible that the CSA will "somehow make it up to CPL" post 2026. (more say in CanChamp? More games at CPL stadiums? More visibility for the league facilitated by the CSA? But this being done post 2026 is still an L) This was a savvy business move and those who believe that his was totally out of the goodness of their hearts...wake up lol

2-As for roster decisions, I don't think we'll see the senior team get affected that much when it comes to the starting XI but the spots for guys who stay on the bench or see minimum minutes could be going to MLS guys over Euro guys like Brym, Jayden Nelson, Harry Paton, Tom McGill or Victor Loturi

3-I think the Youth teams will be MLS heavy outside of the obvious euro-based guys and worst case scenario - CPL could be cut out and L1 Canada being completely ignored.

I hope I'm wrong about points #2 and #3 but point #1 stands for me - that's most likely what happened. As I keep saying, we aren't serious at being a football nation. If CF Montreal, TFC and Vancouver had world class academies like in Europe and South America, banking it all on those 3 makes sense but c'mon - we know better in theses parts. We need to create the environment where you facilitate "MORE" private investments in pro-soccer so competition breathes excellence - NOT artificially suppressing it and make it unattractive just to protect 3 clubs playing in a US league with academies that are "Meh - at best".

I get it but we aren't serious nor do we see the long term picture. I don't take Davies and David for granted nor our ability to routinely develop guys of this calibre. When we go back to another drought and we will - people will wake up but I accept that this golden generation makes it less urgent to make changes.

Again, I accept it.

Edited by Ansem

Posted (edited)

I would just like to point out that this thread has reached 20 pages in the five days of its existence and was "HOT" for parts of the first three days. By contrast, the Herdman new head coach thread took 2.5 months to reach 20 pages - and that was a way more controversial and unexpected appointment.

Love everybody's passion on here and care for the CMNT.

Carry on...

Edited by Treppy2
As an editor, I should know the difference between "it's" and "its".

14 minutes ago, narduch said:

Not entirely sure what Ricketts brought to the table. Unless being really bad at video games was an asset 

He's got more caps and goals than Rob Friend, so despite the reputation he was a worthy voice to consult insofar as players go. I think he also pursued a degree (business management) during the tail end of his career. I cannot recall the title but it was something lending itself to this kind of stuff (coaching interviews), I think. 

15 minutes ago, narduch said:

Not entirely sure what Ricketts brought to the table. Unless being really bad at video games was an asset 

My understanding is that he has an MBA and has a key role in player development at the Whitecaps.  He’s also a player liaison with Canada Soccer so not insignificant.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Obinna said:

He's got more caps and goals than Rob Friend, so despite the reputation he was a worthy voice to consult insofar as players go. I think he also pursued a degree (business management) during the tail end of his career. I cannot recall the title but it was something lending itself to this kind of stuff (coaching interviews), I think. 

What's also missed in this whole process is that Atiba and De Guzman were also consulted. Atiba recently retired and is a League 1 team owner. De Guzman is a Sporting Director of an MLS club.

Not only are all of these guys active in the game, but are from all 3 leagues in Canada. MLS, CPL and League 1. 

All of these pundits who are coming up with an MLS conspiracy are jealous that they were not consulted. They can go and f themselves. 

The only valid complaint is that he is a  American. I get that. But this guy has an axe to grind with the USMNT and I love that.

Edited by Vasi

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Ansem said:

The next 2 years is a massive window opportunity for MLS to be front and centre as part of the overall marketing of the 2026 World Cup. This isn't a coincidence that they wanted "MLS" in the title, it's just marketing.

1-As for the whole CSB being cut out, I can see the MLS money to pay for the coach being conditional to CPL being cut out of that arrangement --> "Take our money and put the focus only on MLS or you get nothing" - exclusive deals are a common thing (before people cry conspiracy theories). I'm thinking that the CPL owners weren't invited to contribute, which would have made sense from a business and PR point of view and they wouldn't want to pass on the opportunity to increase the league's visibility leading up to 2026.

I think they were cut out from it to keep CPL in their niche corner and Kevin Blue went along with it. The deal is until 2026, very possible that the CSA will "somehow make it up to CPL" post 2026. (more say in CanChamp? More games at CPL stadiums? More visibility for the league facilitated by the CSA? But this being done post 2026 is still an L) This was a savvy business move and those who believe that his was totally out of the goodness of their hearts...wake up lol

2-As for roster decisions, I don't think we'll see the senior team get affected that much when it comes to the starting XI but the spots for guys who stay on the bench or see minimum minutes could be going to MLS guys over Euro guys like Brym, Jayden Nelson, Harry Paton, Tom McGill or Victor Loturi

3-I think the Youth teams will be MLS heavy outside of the obvious euro-based guys and worst case scenario - CPL could be cut out and L1 Canada being completely ignored.

I hope I'm wrong about points #2 and #3 but point #1 stands for me - that's most likely what happened. As I keep saying, we aren't serious at being a football nation. If CF Montreal, TFC and Vancouver had world class academies like in Europe and South America, banking it all on those 3 makes sense but c'mon - we know better in theses parts. We need to create the environment where you facilitate "MORE" private investments in pro-soccer so competition breathes excellence - NOT artificially suppressing it and make it unattractive just to protect 3 clubs playing in a US league with academies that are "Meh - at best".

I get it but we aren't serious nor do we see the long term picture. I don't take Davies and David for granted nor our ability to routinely develop guys of this calibre. When we go back to another drought and we will - people will wake up but I accept that this golden generation makes it less urgent to make changes.

Again, I accept it.

Pretty much  all your points about what might happen are breaking the rules of either FIFA (outside influence of player selection) or the rules surrounding philanthropic donations. If there is an "exclusive deal" they can't label it philanthropy.

If they are secretly planning on breaking those rules, putting it in the press release and putting a big bold neon "MLS" on the front of the title is pretty stupid. No?

And Marsch is doing a bad job so far of ignoring the CPL.  He said it was one part of the important time for us, one of the things that attracted him.

It is a golden generation and a golden moment so we did an out of the ordinary thing to secure the best coach that was interested. 

My view.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

8 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Pretty much  all your points about what might happen are breaking the rules of either FIFA (outside influence of player selection) or the rules surrounding philanthropic donations. If there is an "exclusive deal" they can't label it philanthropy.

If they are secretly planning on breaking those rules, putting it in the press release and putting a big bold neon "MLS" on the front of the title is pretty stupid. No?

They'd never put that part on paper but a lot of people and including people in the US thinks that this could open the door too that. I did say that I hoped I was wrong but MLS bought themselves marketing with an underlying tone of influence.

11 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

And Marsch is doing a bad job so far of ignoring the CPL.  He said it was one part of the important time for us, one one the things that attracted him.

Let's see his "actions" - "words" are easy

13 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

It is a golden generation and a golden moment so we did an out of the ordinary thing to secure the best coach that was interested. 

Was he though? Or maybe that's the only coach MLS clubs were willing to cover the salary - someone who happens to be  from MLS?