Lucas Pos

28 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

I have never seen Pos play and don't watch the Swiss league much, but playing for a bottom level team also means he is  defending vs the best teams & forwards in the league. Vitoria also plays for a bottom level team..granted his quality is known but I can't imagine that Biello hasn't evaluated Pos's performances with his club. No idea if he gets called to the final squad.

A fact that's being ignored way too much in theses forum. His club is -27, can't win if the forwards aren't doing their jobs, doesn't negates that he's been defending constantly against the league's best forward all season long.

15 minutes ago, Ansem said:

A fact that's being ignored way too much in theses forum. His club is -27, can't win if the forwards aren't doing their jobs, doesn't negates that he's been defending constantly against the league's best forward all season long.

Indeed, its hard to really know what we have in our hands without actually seeing it and understanding the bigger picture.  They have a terrible record, but they might also be having Bradley-type 2023 coach issues. 

Pos and Vitoria's teams are both getting relegated, both hold the worst +/- as well as the most goals against in their leagues.  Zator is just one spot up from relegation but holds a better +/- as well as being on a much better team defensively speaking, what his team lacks is offence.

As for coefficients:

image.png.7106f35f0fa759aa51bfbff0f6bbf708.png

I'm glad Pos is joining and look forward to seeing what he can do, but not vs T&T.  Same for Vitoria and Zator.

20 minutes ago, costarg said:

I'm glad Pos is joining and look forward to seeing what he can do, but not vs T&T.  Same for Vitoria and Zator.

Good luck with Vitoria...lol

Awesome that Pos is interested but the takes in this thread are wild. Hopefully, he gets a chance in upcoming friendlies (if we get any)

13 minutes ago, narduch said:

Sweden is 24th

It's tricky.  We can look at it from the league coefficient, but also need to have a look at the individuals team.  Malmo are 221 overall.  Well above Pos, Zator and Vitoria's teams.  So even if his league is weaker he's on a far better team and probably safe to say playing better than the other EU options.

It should also be noted that league coefficents (far as I understand) are determined by how clubs perform in Europe.

Another thing to note is the spread. The spread between Switzerland (12th) and Poland (20th) is 7 points, whereas the spread between Portugal (6th) and Switzerland is 23 points. So, the further down the list you go, the more similar these leagues are to each other. Scotland to Poland and everything between is relatively interchangable. 

11 hours ago, costarg said:

Indeed, its hard to really know what we have in our hands without actually seeing it and understanding the bigger picture.  They have a terrible record, but they might also be having Bradley-type 2023 coach issues. 

Pos and Vitoria's teams are both getting relegated, both hold the worst +/- as well as the most goals against in their leagues.  Zator is just one spot up from relegation but holds a better +/- as well as being on a much better team defensively speaking, what his team lacks is offence.

As for coefficients:

image.png.7106f35f0fa759aa51bfbff0f6bbf708.png

Vitoria's Chaves could still avoid relegation and are scraping together points lately. 

Pos's team are not a top flight side habitually in Switzerland and have less upside. For me it's a bigger mark against him.

League coefficient or not, the fact remains that Hiebert, LMN, McGraw, and Waterman all play for much better clubs. Not saying the CPL is better than a bad Swiss team, but is there any reason we’d look at Pos before Nimick? What about Manjrekar James in Costa Rica? I assume there’s interest to call him in at some point or else him getting citizenship and getting on the prelim list wouldn’t be a story, but I just think we have better options without having to split hairs between whether a bad polish team is better than a bad Swiss team or if a guy in his first (?) year of top flight ball for a terrible team is worth calling over the slew of decent CB options we have. 

23 hours ago, costarg said:

It's tricky.  We can look at it from the league coefficient, but also need to have a look at the individuals team.  Malmo are 221 overall.  Well above Pos, Zator and Vitoria's teams.  So even if his league is weaker he's on a far better team and probably safe to say playing better than the other EU options.

I tend to look at club's 10 year co-efficient. (If you go by last year only, West Ham is the equal of AC Milan, which I don't believe.)

That said teams in good leagues benefit from taking their average league co-efficient, if they have been in Europe even once in the time span.  For instance, Corbeanu's Granada is given 80th place with 39.999 points - the average for Spanish teams -, despite only earning 13 points, wholly from one 20/21 quarter finals run in the Europa League.

To reinforce your point.

Malmo is 85th over than span with 39.50 - they have earned that being in Europe every year but one but never doing that well.  (The Swedish average over that time is 8.8)

Stade Lausanne-Ouchy, Korona Kielce, and Chaves have no ranking because they have not been in Europe in the last ten years.  But if they were to make Europe, they would have 12.7, 8.2, and 20.7, respectively because of their leagues. 

Just some things to keep in mind. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, narduch said:

I am not sure who else has been following, but the team is going directly to relegation. And then, in recent weeks, he has not been playing that much, he has been on the bench quite a bit. 

I am not sure we are talking about a guy at a higher level than Zator or Kennedy as we sit.

Great news...but maybe he's a player to watch for 26 with him being a right footed centre back. Other than his age, as UT mentions his CV isn't anything higher than the likes of Zator, and MacNaughton. 

I haven't watched him or seen highlights but the purist in me, would rather give the Copa America depth slot to someone who's been through the Canadian system.

12 minutes ago, narduch said:

He will also need to transfer to a new team once the season ends. We definitely should not be calling a Swiss 2nd tier player, which is where his team is destined for.

But even if they drop he's the same player. Just as we shouldn't be calling a Swiss 2nd div player, we shouldn't be calling a Swiss Div 1 player on a relegation threatened team. It's the same thing and why I have been taking a critical approach with this guy.

It's not that I don't want him in the national team, I just find it hard to believe he's at the level we need. 

I think someone mentioned Zator as a comparison, but Zator by all accounts is one of the most important players for his club, who despite being bottom feeders found a way to survive last season and might do so again, all with Zator never getting dropped from the side. So, I would say Pos is behind Zator who is already on the fringes of the national team as it is. 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

It's not that I don't want him in the national team, I just find it hard to believe he's at the level we need. 

I think someone mentioned Zator as a comparison, but Zator by all accounts is one of the most important players for his club, who despite being bottom feeders found a way to survive last season and might do so again, all with Zator never getting dropped from the side. So, I would say Pos is behind Zator who is already on the fringes of the national team as it is. 

I mostly agree with this.

My initial response, from his pursuit of a passport onward, is that it is pretty silly. Furthermore, the enthusiasm on this board, while minor, shows that a few folks actually underrate the quality of the options we have now, IMHO.

The only thing that might put him in the mix is his apparent (I haven't actually watched him) positional flexibility - the game reports and heat maps suggest that he plays all over the back line, and he seems to be genuinely two-footed. When squad-size is limited, a player like that is hard to totally ignore.