Match Thread: FIFA U-17 World Cup: Group B - Matchday 2 - Canada v Uzbekistan - November 13, 2023 - 7am ET / 4am PT (7pm local time)

narduch

Just now, shorty said:

Is 14 Londono?  They do not use him at all, in possession.

Yes, they weirdly actively avoid him. Reminds me of some of the matches with Arbeloa for Spain.

To be fair, things would look a little different if Biello was playing this one. The overall shape and ideas would be the same, but Biello would be the deep facilitator.

The discouraging thing for me (well, one of them) is that the guys who put in a good performance against Spain were anonymous this morning.  Stefanovic was beaten easily for the 2nd.  The keeper completely gifted the 3rd.  Etc.  In a must win game, we basically mailed it in and showed very little hustle.  

TFC may have a large catchment area but they have been playing abysmal footy for multiple years now.  Is it any surprise that selecting our national team largely from their academy produces an underwhelming result?   

God damn.  I was hoping for better this morning.   

Edited by dyslexic nam

2 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I assume Olivieri is getting fired after this tournament right?

I'd fire him today and let whatever assistant take over. 

Wonder if we had offered this group to Tenllado, instead of letting him go with Herdman to TFC, if he would have accepted. Anyways, I am 100% sure he would have done far better with this group than the manager we have now.

14 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

Nah, CSA will reassign him to another age level.

This loss isn't on him.  Ancelotti couldn't do anything with this lot.  Pin this on the acadmies who think they are doing a fine job at development.

I have to agree with you, with the odd exception I don't think our academies are doing a very good job at this point, I know the overall talent level can be cyclical but you would think with 3 MLS academies we could put a better product on the pitch!