Match Thread: FIFA U-17 World Cup: Group B - Matchday 2 - Canada v Uzbekistan - November 13, 2023 - 7am ET / 4am PT (7pm local time)

narduch

If I were coaching this team I'd train at a pace that corresponds to game pace, where you have a fire lit under your butt and it's clockwork, the lazy movement at the back, as noted, just lets the rival settle in every part of the field. 

Basically the CSA can go to hell and Olivieri as well, it is a disgrace to play this way.

21 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Anyone know why we are playing with no midfield? 

Family Guy Dolphin GIF

Seems a cheap shot, but seriously.  The Uzbek coach is talking tactics with his assistant and they figured out under 10 minutes how to link through our midfield, whereas Olivieri is just fat Dad in a track suit.  Our guys are playing like kids with some talent, not like pros.

There is no coherent plan when we have the ball and are building up. The back three just exchange passes, then one of the outside centre backs just pings it forward. Occasionally Omeze will run forward into space before losing the ball. Once in a while a midfielder will drop and the centre back activates into an advanced position -- this is clearly a planned strategy. But beyond that, there is no practical plan. No desire at all to play through the middle, it is remarkable in a way.

Out of possession is a mess, too. I try not to be too harsh on the kids, they are being given nothing to work with, but there have been a bunch of individual mistakes, too. Still, most of this is a problem with the way we are set up. Seriously, just playing a bog standard 4-4-2, 4-3-3, or 4-2-3-1 with no additional instruction would yield a much  better performance. I don't know what they are trying to achieve with this 5-4-1/3-4-3/4-4-2 weird asymetric hybrid system at u17 level?

1 minute ago, El Diego said:

I don't know what they are trying to achieve with this 5-4-1/3-4-3/4-4-2 weird asymetric hybrid system at u17 level?

I don't mind this in principle if it's vertical alignment through the levels of CanMNT, but your staff need to have the tactical chops at every level to pull this off.  We don't.

1 minute ago, shorty said:

I don't mind this in principle if it's vertical alignment through the levels of CanMNT, but your staff need to have the tactical chops at every level to pull this off.  We don't.

I get that's the idea, but I don't know, it's quite presumptuous to think these u17 kids will be playing the same system when they get to the senior team both in 1. how many players will actually make that transition and 2. what system we will be playing by the time they get there (whether we have the same current manager or not). I just don't see how this system serves the players in terms of developing or identifying them.