Atletico Ottawa - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

Gonzalez re-signs for 2024...had to give him the opportunity as he still won the regular season title in 2022...can they bounce back and at least make the playoffs? They sure have good sources for getting players and the money to take the team abroad for preseason so should really be doable

Carlos González ready to ‘evolve and develop’ Atlético Ottawa after re-signing as head coach

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

He has always looked like someone who should be able to progress to a higher level to me as well. Already had a shot at that with TFC II when he was an NASL player in Edmonton, but the lack of apparent interest since then suggests that the reflex saves that he is very strong at are not enough in the eyes of the scouts who will no doubt have been watching since then. Modern keepers almost play as an old fashioned sweeper some of the time so maybe that's the side of his game that isn't viewed as being strong enough.

23 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

He has always looked like someone who should be able to progress to a higher level to me as well. Already had a shot at that with TFC II when he was an NASL player in Edmonton, but the lack of apparent interest since then suggests that the reflex saves that he is very strong at are not enough in the eyes of the scouts who will no doubt have been watching since then. Modern keepers almost play as an old fashioned sweeper some of the time so maybe that's the side of his game that isn't viewed as being strong enough.

Noticed his transfermrkt value went down from the previous year 

On 11/25/2023 at 8:45 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

No keeper in MLS is particularly strong with their feet, although I think Crepeau isn't bad (better than Borjan), and some are notoriously weak. But it is also because teams play out rather awkwardly, slowly, so it is not just keepers, it is the back line and the entire system of teams.

You'd think the two top keepers in CPL, Carducci and Henry, would get looks, but then the former makes serious errors to lose a championship title and the latter just seems solid without really shining. And both are just six-footers, where MLS tends to prefer more physical types who dominate a box and do reaction saves as well. Frei, Burki, Willis, they are older, not tactically contemporary, and older school keepers, or Blake from Jamaica, more of the same. 

12 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

No keeper in MLS is particularly strong with their feet, although I think Crepeau isn't bad (better than Borjan), and some are notoriously weak. But it is also because teams play out rather awkwardly, slowly, so it is not just keepers, it is the back line and the entire system of teams.

You'd think the two top keepers in CPL, Carducci and Henry, would get looks, but then the former makes serious errors to lose a championship title and the latter just seems solid without really shining. And both are just six-footers, where MLS tends to prefer more physical types who dominate a box and do reaction saves as well. Frei, Burki, Willis, they are older, not tactically contemporary, and older school keepers, or Blake from Jamaica, more of the same. 

You would think cpl top goalies could get a look in mexico or one of the stronger  Central American league. 

Henry at the right place with the right team.  Carducci and Ingham should be able too move up a level. This would open roster spots for developing goalies in the league.

21 hours ago, yothat2 said:

You would think cpl top goalies could get a look in mexico or one of the stronger  Central American league. 

Henry at the right place with the right team.  Carducci and Ingham should be able too move up a level. This would open roster spots for developing goalies in the league.

My personal take is that in 5 years we haven't had any stellar players, just solid consistent players. Keepers are in that category as well. If Carducci had stood on his head or simply just stopped two stoppable attempts on goal in the final, perhaps I'd say something different, but as is, I have never seen a CPL keeper I thought could definitely take a step up.

I have the same opinion about most players I have seen in the league, because we have never had a guy really blowing us all away. Some fine defenders, good like Zator for mid-table Poland, others to MLS, all power to them.

I remember the first season there was speculation here on how many goals Haber might get, but even Wero Díaz the year he left the season part-way was not on pace for 3 goals every 4 games. Most Golden Boots have scored less than a goal every two games. It is actually a rather low-scoring league overall, over 5 years. So maybe our defenders stand out, strikers not so much; so keepers don't get the credit they deserve?

7 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I remember the first season there was speculation here on how many goals Haber might get, but even Wero Díaz the year he left the season part-way was not on pace for 3 goals every 4 games. Most Golden Boots have scored less than a goal every two games. It is actually a rather low-scoring league overall, over 5 years. So maybe our defenders stand out, strikers not so much; so keepers don't get the credit they deserve?

I think, possibly contrary to the point you are making, that CPL keepers have on average been quite poor, possibly at a lower level even than the players at other positions. The CPL social media team like to hype up some of the goals with a "bangers only" tag, and there does seem to be a large amount of long-range goals scored in the league. I chalk that up as much to poor goalkeeping (positioning and reflexes) as to any other factor.  Other than the Montreal loanees (Pantemis and Sirois) I don't think any CPL keeper has moved on to bigger and better things to date.

Goal scorers become expensive very quickly and that is why CPL has had so few good goal scorers. 

16 hours ago, jonovision said:

I think, possibly contrary to the point you are making, that CPL keepers have on average been quite poor, possibly at a lower level even than the players at other positions. The CPL social media team like to hype up some of the goals with a "bangers only" tag, and there does seem to be a large amount of long-range goals scored in the league. I chalk that up as much to poor goalkeeping (positioning and reflexes) as to any other factor.  Other than the Montreal loanees (Pantemis and Sirois) I don't think any CPL keeper has moved on to bigger and better things to date.

Goal scorers become expensive very quickly and that is why CPL has had so few good goal scorers. 

The best teams in the league score 1.5 goals a game and the worst around 1… eyeballing from the overall stats over all seasons. It doesn't seem bad from a keepers' perspective. We've even had relatively few blowouts over 5 years.

That fits with an overall take that the league hasn't been generous to strikers. The leading scorer of all time is at 39 goals over 119 appearances, sounds like a defenders league.

I'm just musing. We've never sent a striker elsewhere who's thrived. Nor keepers. Just defenders and a few mids.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

On 11/28/2023 at 5:06 PM, Markoaleks said:

Small sample size admittedly but addling to the point, even strikers like J Hams, E Welshman and others that have come back to CPL have not torched the league either 

It'd be cool to have a season with a striker on a goal a game or close, someone clearly over 20 sparking fear in rival defences. Never happened.

In fact, in the history of the CPL, we have yet to see a player whose presence has been dominant enough to concern rivals in a major way. Rarely have we seen a team trying to man-mark or foul a guy out of a game because of his dominance.

I would love to see it though, every good league needs stars and heroes, and I could care less what team that player was on.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It'd be cool to have a season with a striker on a goal a game or close, someone clearly over 20 sparking fear in rival defences. Never happened.

In fact, in the history of the CPL, we have yet to see a player whose presence has been dominant enough to concern rivals in a major way. Rarely have we seen a team trying to man-mark or foul a guy out of a game because of his dominance.

I would love to see it though, every good league needs stars and heroes, and I could care less what team that player was on.

Good point, UT. The CPL has not yet seen anybody who is really a class above the overall average players. Not that there have not been some prospects such as young De Rosario last year, or this year Matteo de Brienne, for example.  The league is certainly in need of a star striker. Where are such players hiding? MLS benches? USL? How about Tani Oluwaseyi? Would he come to CPL? Would a team pursue him? 

• 3 weeks later...