Atletico Ottawa - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

It's official - Didic has signed!

Also, with respect to going over the cap, one needs to consider the salaries lost due to the outgoing players. Having worked with one of the current Ottleti players for years and knowing him quite well, I know (for almost) a fact that several of their outgoing players (Acosta, Espejo, Shaw, Haworth and Ouimette) were all pulling in 50K+ a year. That opens up tons of salary space for new signings. Moreover, given the obvious ties Ottleti have with Spain, some of the players may be making this move as a way to open up their future and thus would sacrifice some of their current salary, but that is just my opinion.

Edited by Senorpopps

24 minutes ago, jordan said:

Friendly at 1 against CS Saint Laurent, season seat holders can go watch.

There was entrance info in an email but I deleted it.

Will be interesting to see the result.

They beat Forge in a friendly. 

May give HFX a tough go in the Voyageurs Cup 

I asked Carl Haworth Saturday if there was any unannounced signings hiding in the team box with him, and he said no and another guy who was standing next to him laughed and said no. Piccioli was the one next to him based on this.

I honest to god don't know what to make of the last game. On one end we took care of business and it was fairly comfortable but on the other a lot of it was down to an early red card for them and still gave another late goal...

2 hours ago, phil03 said:

I honest to god don't know what to make of the last game. On one end we took care of business and it was fairly comfortable but on the other a lot of it was down to an early red card for them and still gave another late goal...

7 out of 9, should be 9 of 9, but best to sit back and watch can’t judge after 270, lose the first must win on Wednesday I'm slightly concerned 

a couple of news

looks like daniel morer is coming on loan from affiliated club famalicao...played at good levels including d1 portugal and d2 spain...teammate of tabla at barcelona b

edmund lalrindika is coming on a training stint from inter kashi of the indian second tier in which atletico madrid is a collaborator...reminder that gianni dos santos went there and looks like he did not bad this season with 2 goals 3 assists in 10 games

https://northerntribune.ca/atletico-ottawa-edmund-lalrindika-train/

6 hours ago, Big_M said:

a couple of news

looks like daniel morer is coming on loan from affiliated club famalicao...played at good levels including d1 portugal and d2 spain...teammate of tabla at barcelona b

edmund lalrindika is coming on a training stint from inter kashi of the indian second tier in which atletico madrid is a collaborator...reminder that gianni dos santos went there and looks like he did not bad this season with 2 goals 3 assists in 10 games

https://northerntribune.ca/atletico-ottawa-edmund-lalrindika-train/

I know this player well, an outside back. Very efficient and modest, neat skills with the ball, but perhaps was lacking full explosiveness, and rarely did anything outside the box. He paints journeyman even in CPL. I watched him those games Ballou was there. Compare to the other fullback of that team, Miranda, who is at Betis. Morer is quite short, I'd say they were trying to fashion him after Jordi Alba.

In fact I actually used to sit near part of his family, his mom and relatives, when I watched Barça, not all games, but enough that I recall specific conversations with them. I didn't plan that, but being a club member I could get into the good seating at the Mini Stadium (now demolished), just ended up that way. Anecdotes like how back then Barça had B players living in apartments in the city to get dogs, it was a big thing, you are 19-22 years old and go home from training or a game and have to walk and take care of a dog.

I think his mom is from Ecuador or Peru, he's from up the coast from Barcelona, I same place as Lamine Yamal. Ended up in Andorra, which was 2nd division, maybe not the level he should have found. Then hasn't taken off. 

another interesting part: he hasnt played a competitive game since May of 2023 so a whole year...signed a five year contract with famalicao in 2020 but ended up only playing ten competitive games for them...therefore he clearly wasnt in the plans and they finally came up with this solution for him...as a reminder the majority owner of famalicao Idan Ofer also has a third of atletico madrid

15 hours ago, Big_M said:

another interesting part: he hasnt played a competitive game since May of 2023 so a whole year...signed a five year contract with famalicao in 2020 but ended up only playing ten competitive games for them...therefore he clearly wasnt in the plans and they finally came up with this solution for him...as a reminder the majority owner of famalicao Idan Ofer also has a third of atletico madrid

Well maybe he is working his way back into competitive play, he needs a reset, like Ballou, and then there's this idea that somehow at Atlético O you are not losing all contact with the Spanish league (which you most likely are though). 

If he's fit he'll run up and down as a back or mid, and he's technically good, so we'll see how he pans out.