Atletico Ottawa - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

22 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Mediapro troubles or no some of the teams in this league aren't exactly shy about taking on wages are they?  Not to stir the pot anymore but what to read into that.

Been thinking about that too.

When I saw Wanderers preseason schedule it doesn't look like teams are cheaping out. At least not yet

16 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Mediapro troubles or no some of the teams in this league aren't exactly shy about taking on wages are they?  Not to stir the pot anymore but what to read into that.

16 hours ago, narduch said:

Been thinking about that too.

When I saw Wanderers preseason schedule it doesn't look like teams are cheaping out. At least not yet

It's just an educated guess on my part but I think clubs like Ottawa and Halifax (as well as Cavalry and potentially Forge) could be ok to better off in a world where each club would make their broadcasting arrangement. After all, Fury FC was able to do business with the Ottawa area Rogers channel in the years when their games weren't bundled in a broader USL package and Halifax also has a fairly robust network of regional sub-channels. A broader league-wide deal is more important for clubs like York United, Pacific and VFC, say.

For clubs like Ottawa and Halifax the whole MediaPro situation is more of a pain in the ass then a true threat to their viability so as long as the league as a whole is still a go and their attendance growing or staying near 100% of their capacity (in HFX case) they won't be overly bothered. And even if the CPL does look like its in a bad place, they would have a good chance to find their way into the USL if push comes to shove.

So if I had to guess I'd say that for Ottawa and Halifax their plans to build up their clubs are continuing more or less as planned at this stage.

Edited by phil03

9 hours ago, phil03 said:

...they would have a good chance to find their way into the USL if push comes to shove...

The irony level if the league involved as the plan B wound up being MLS Next Pro would be off the scale. Think it's too early to read anything into what is happening this season where the fall out from the Mediapro deal row is concerned. A lot of what is currently unfolding was likely already in the works before that all came to a head and it's going to be a while until it's clear who has had the upper hand in the negotiations that are currently taking place. Whether Pacific sign the five year lease extension will be one to watch, because that will be happening after the spat with Mediapro.

5 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The irony level if the league involved as the plan B wound up being MLS Next Pro would be off the scale. Think it's too early to read anything into what is happening this season where the fall out from the Mediapro deal row is concerned. A lot of what is currently unfolding was likely already in the works before that all came to a head and it's going to be a while until it's clear who has had the upper hand in the negotiations that are currently taking place. Whether Pacific sign the five year lease extension will be one to watch, because that will be happening after the spat with Mediapro.

I'm not sure what Pacific's lease has to do with Mediapro. It's all about local politics and it's pretty ugly in its own right 

^^^normally better not to engage but the point being made is related to signs that the league is scaling back financially because of what has happened with Mediapro. Suspect a lot of the contracts and preseason tours announced recently had already been sorted out prior to the public spat with Mediapro. That won't be applicable where the decision on Starlight Stadium is concerned.

Winding things back to Atletico, it's worth bearing in mind that Mediapro probably played a significant role in attracting Atletico Madrid as an investor. How committed they are moving forward remains to be seen. I would have focused more on Halifax as being the organization that can be expected to be gung ho about their future prospects regardless in an 86ers back in the day sort of way.

To be honest though I think that kind of talk is getting ahead of the known facts right now. If CSB managed to extract a sizable exit fee from Mediapro in exchange for dropping legal action, the financial jackpot that 2026 represents for them likely keeps them in the game through to around 2028 when decisions would need to be made about whether to renew franchise agreements for the second ten years of the deal with the CSA they hold a unilateral option on.

It is local politics, but I actually agree with OTP here in the limited sense that the terms of the deal might be an indication of how bullish Shillington and Simpson are at the moment. There are honestly no realistic options other than Starlight though, so I don’t see them bailing. And if they did, say, re-up for a really short term as opposed to 5 years, they would be projecting a lack of confidence which would make a stadium expansion almost certainly a no-go. All the strategy suggests PFC should renew and project confidence, so if they don’t renew for long, then, yeah, not a good sign.

Unlikely though, I think.  Possibly an interim agreement might even be in place already, with some terms and commitments to be finalized pending the results of the referendum (assuming that in fact occurs and depending on when). 

As a bellwether for the health of the league, I’m not sure it will provide any tea-leaf-type information. 

Edited by shorty

1 minute ago, shorty said:

It is local politics, but I actually agree with OTP here in the limited sense that the terms of the deal might be an indication of how bullish Shillington and Simpson are at the moment. There are honestly no realistic options other than Starlight though, so I don’t see them bailing. And if they did, say, re-up for a really short term as opposed to 5 years, they would be projecting a lack of confidence which would make a stadium expansion almost certainly a no-go. All the strategy suggests PFC should renew and project confidence, so if they don’t renew for long, then, yeah, not a good sign.

Unlikely though, I think.  Possibly an interim agreement might even be in place already, with some terms and commitments to be finalized pending the results of the referendum (assuming that in fact occurs and depending on when). 

More likely scenario is that it's just a negotiation tactic and they will eventually re up

1 hour ago, shorty said:

As a bellwether for the health of the league, I’m not sure it will provide any tea-leaf-type information. 

They're pushing for expansion. That's pretty bullish, don't you think? If they don't sign long-term it's because the new Langford council didn't play ball and they think Victoria might legitimately build them a stadium

23 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

They're pushing for expansion. That's pretty bullish, don't you think? If they don't sign long-term it's because the new Langford council didn't play ball and they think Victoria might legitimately build them a stadium

I totally agree and that is what I think personally without having any inside info. I’m just agreeing with the notion that some other outcome in the renewal would be a bellwether for the health of the league. Don’t see that happening, but if it did, it would be a strong warning sign. 

On 2/17/2024 at 8:15 PM, SpursFlu said:

It's starting to feel like too much talent not enough teams in this league 

It's a good topic. Do you feel there is more talent in certain positions that can't be absorbed, or in all positions?

One of the things that has surprised me in CPL is how much mobility there is. What's the record so far for most teams played for by a single player? I assumed that players would see that salary scale and opt to stay close to home, for other amenities and conveniences, and it is not necessarily the case. 

Compared to the CPL, not many players have put on the shirt of Whitecaps, TFC and Impact, I think the only cases would include when some teams were in USL.

On 2/17/2024 at 5:16 PM, jonovision said:

It helps when you have one team that leaves all of the talented players for th other seven.

Funny but Valour has had a ton of talent come through since the league started. They’re almost like the TFC of CPL in the sense that the results just don’t follow. Also a lot those players go on to succeed elsewhere (or get unlucky with injuries).

Just to name a few: Pantemis, Rea, Sirois, Gutierrez, Bustos, Petrasso, Levis, AJB, Musse, De Brienne

The problem is that you could come up with a comparable list for the Forge or Cavalry out of players for any single season rather than having to use the entire history of the club. There's a reason players like Bustos, de Brienne and Musse didn't hang around in a similar manner to Becker, Choiniere and  Achinioti-Jonsson. The main issue beyond that has been with the quality of the depth to the roster or lack thereof.

8 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Funny but Valour has had a ton of talent come through since the league started. They’re almost like the TFC of CPL in the sense that the results just don’t follow. Also a lot those players go on to succeed elsewhere (or get unlucky with injuries).

Just to name a few: Pantemis, Rea, Sirois, Gutierrez, Bustos, Petrasso, Levis, AJB, Musse, De Brienne

Those players together, basically the best Valour have had over 5 seasons, would probably lose in a head-to-head vs any given season of Cavalry or Forge.

17 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Those players together, basically the best Valour have had over 5 seasons, would probably lose in a head-to-head vs any given season of Cavalry or Forge.

What if they weren't playing a man down and a with keeper playing as an outfield player?

• 2 weeks later...