Atletico Ottawa - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

2 hours ago, yothat2 said:

Like see Ottawa bring some strong Spainish AO internationals to cpl. Use all the 7 international spots

Can’t bring 7 strong ones, they always reserve a spot for a below par striker from the Spanish third tier, or a player from Mexico trying to get a contract in the third tier

On 12/23/2023 at 11:04 PM, jordan said:

Can’t bring 7 strong ones, they always reserve a spot for a below par striker from the Spanish third tier, or a player from Mexico trying to get a contract in the third tier

It's true that none of the Spanish imports for Atlético O have made a huge difference or were seen to be clearly superior. Many had problems to adapt, perhaps not reaching their potential. Maybe CPL is not as low a level as some back in Madrid might think. Maybe they should treat it as a more serious loan option for better quality guys.

IMO the best Spaniards to play in CPL were Ramón Soria at Edmonton, José Galán at Valour and then Victor Blasco at Pacific, none related to the AtO connections. Only Viti Martínez was even close. Oddly, none of them are playing at a higher level than CPL now (Viti plays for an Andorran Club, Galán in Gibraltar, Blasco in Cambodia and Soria head player development at third-tier Castellón, which is owned by a Canadian).

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

7 hours ago, yothat2 said:

How does a player get scouted to go to India from the cpl lol so random it seems 

As Atletico Madrid also owns the club, I assume there would be some shared knowledge between the clubs.

Plus, you get all sorts of left-field transfers to the Indian leagues!

Building their global brand may be part of it as well. Not sure what the pecking order is between the Indian team and their Ottawa club. The Inter branding and average crowds of 1500 if wikipedia is to believed suggest this may be a demotion for a player who is viewed as a net liability in a CanPL context at this point but that's never going to be clarified publicly.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, K Edgar said:

It's a shame the move to Turkey didn't really pan out for Ballou. I was rooting for him. He's obviously a talented footballer, perhaps a move to Scandinavia would be good for him, or go back to Canada and be a bigger fish in the CanPL pond. He is in his mid-20s now, so he is not really a young talent anymore. Once upon a time, he would probably have been disappearing right about now. I look forward to seeing what's next for him.

I have gone back and forth on this, and I am probably biased because Ottawa is my CPL club, but overall I'd say Tabla coming back to Ottawa might be the best outcome his career could have for Canadian Soccer at this stage.

The guy is about to enter his prime and even after his move to Turkey he wasn't really playing anywhere near what a player needs to be into consideration for the CMNT. He would have needed to make a big splash and get another serious move up, or at least be well positioned to get one, to really help our national player pool and it has evidently not happened. Moreover, at this point the CPL has gotten a descent amount of transfers to higher level of play then the Turkish second tier so him staying there doesn't really do much for the league rep either.

Considering Ottawa is the one place where he has ever seemed to like to play he might as well come back to the CPL and become a franchise player (to borrow a term from another sport) for Ottawa. Hopefully, he can help the club win trophies and play CONCACAF soccer and/or pull some upsets against MLS clubs in the Canadian Championship, which I believe we especially need since nothing else would allow us to finally leave the ghosts of the Furry in the past.