Atletico Ottawa - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

2 hours ago, narduch said:

I find it funny that Atletico Ottawa is being investigated for the cap when a lot of us have questioned for years that Forge's signings don't make sense 

I don’t pretend to know anything about the salary cap and Atletico but it’s an awful lot of top end CPL talent housed just down the street from me.  That can’t come cheap by league standards but probably a rounding error for the parent club.

Might be a controversial hot take but honestly, if ATO wanted to spend more then the cap and get away with it all they would have to do is have Atletico Madrid sign the players for them and loan them back their way, and voila!

The most that could be done would be to try to change the rules for next year, and even then there is only so much the league could do, as a young league try to build ties with the rest of the soccer world and build a good financial base as well as level on the pitch would have a hard time regulating players on loans for cap purposes efficiently without shooting itself in the foot...

Which is why I incidently think that at the end of the day the league won't find anything untoward from ATO cap-wise: if they wanted to spend more they have a very easy outlet for that.

6 hours ago, phil03 said:

Might be a controversial hot take but honestly, if ATO wanted to spend more then the cap and get away with it all they would have to do is have Atletico Madrid sign the players for them and loan them back their way, and voila!

The most that could be done would be to try to change the rules for next year, and even then there is only so much the league could do, as a young league try to build ties with the rest of the soccer world and build a good financial base as well as level on the pitch would have a hard time regulating players on loans for cap purposes efficiently without shooting itself in the foot...

Which is why I incidently think that at the end of the day the league won't find anything untoward from ATO cap-wise: if they wanted to spend more they have a very easy outlet for that.

I thought FIFA imposed limits on the number of players a club can have out on loan (7 or 8?), excluding U21's that have been with the club three years or something like that?

19 hours ago, narduch said:

I find it funny that Atletico Ottawa is being investigated for the cap when a lot of us have questioned for years that Forge's signings don't make sense 

Do we know officially what that means, or even if it is true?

I mean, it does not sound legit to me. And less so when Ozzie pounced on it so lustily.

Technically, every year every team in the league has to be "investigated" for cap compliance as a matter of procedure. The league might ask for more paperwork, for the documentation to be ordered in a certain way, and ask for justifications of certain line items. In this sense, if you say "the league asks for clarification from all clubs", then you could skew it as all clubs are being "investigated" for salary cap compliance.

And even then, it could mean the U-Sports salaries were not counted right, or the accounting on an apartment or car was not done using the standard they'd prefer. It does not even mean they were going over and thus paying players more and thus able to attract a better roster and thus in non-compliance. In fact, it is just an inference when you say "investigated". 

If a club goes over by putting cash in hand, or topping up salary in a way that is not on the books, that is only an issue with Revenue Canada, it is not something the CPL would be able to control.

I would not put it past a rival club to leak a story, either. 

I'm a Pacific fan, I don't like losing Aparicio and Didic, but I just think the story needs to be expressed in a way that isn't unfair.

15 hours ago, phil03 said:

...if they wanted to spend more they have a very easy outlet for that.

Don't all contracts have to be approved by the league? Think that loophole could be actively policed in other words. The season ending injury status for one player and another being moved upstairs to a front office position may have been part of becoming salary cap compliant or the timings on those could just be a coincidence. We'll probably never know for sure.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

57 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Do we know officially what that means, or even if it is true?

I mean, it does not sound legit to me. And less so when Ozzie pounced on it so lustily.

Technically, every year every team in the league has to be "investigated" for cap compliance as a matter of procedure. The league might ask for more paperwork, for the documentation to be ordered in a certain way, and ask for justifications of certain line items. In this sense, if you say "the league asks for clarification from all clubs", then you could skew it as all clubs are being "investigated" for salary cap compliance.

And even then, it could mean the U-Sports salaries were not counted right, or the accounting on an apartment or car was not done using the standard they'd prefer. It does not even mean they were going over and thus paying players more and thus able to attract a better roster and thus in non-compliance. In fact, it is just an inference when you say "investigated". 

If a club goes over by putting cash in hand, or topping up salary in a way that is not on the books, that is only an issue with Revenue Canada, it is not something the CPL would be able to control.

I would not put it past a rival club to leak a story, either. 

I'm a Pacific fan, I don't like losing Aparicio and Didic, but I just think the story needs to be expressed in a way that isn't unfair.

I've only seen that one tweet about the issue.

I'm guessing Ouimette retiring and taking a front office job might be related?

On 3/20/2024 at 1:40 PM, narduch said:

I've only seen that one tweet about the issue.

I'm guessing Ouimette retiring and taking a front office job might be related?

In the world history of low-salary football, players having their salaries complemented by doing other jobs for a club is totally standard. Starting with coaching kids in the club's academy system (old USL it was standard at Caps, Lynx), then all kinds of other things. If that is what is being implied, that by doing it they are fudging.

It could be important for a guy's career, during and after football, when the base salary is low as is the case in CPL.

Anecdote time: there's a guy in my building whose brother played lower tier, 4th and 5th division, name is Pau Clavero. At one point his team coach had a deal representing a sporting brand and the brother complemented his income by working as a rep. On the basis of that experience, and being a player, when he retired he then got a job with Nike, and ended being the guy who went with all the top Barça players to promotional events, especially Ronaldinho. He was the guy sent to sign Bojan Krkic for Nike. I think he still does that work, also was a partner of Guardiola's brother Pere doing player management at one time. 

You can't deny players on CPL salaries the possibility of getting more income because even at 60k a year, the CPL high-end, it is really in some cities not enough to do anything other than live.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

In the world history of low-salary football, players having their salaries complemented by doing other jobs for a club is totally standard. Starting with coaching kids in the club's academy system (old USL it was standard at Caps, Lynx), then all kinds of other things. If that is what is being implied, that by doing it they are fudging.

It could be important for a guy's career, during and after football, when the base salary is low as is the case in CPL.

Anecdote time: there's a guy in my building whose brother played lower tier, 4th and 5th division, name is Pau Clavero. At one point his team coach had a deal representing a sporting brand and the brother complemented his income by working as a rep. On the basis of that experience, and being a player, when he retired he then got a job with Nike, and ended being the guy who went with all the top Barça players to promotional events, especially Ronaldinho. He was the guy sent to sign Bojan Krkic for Nike. I think he still does that work, also was a partner of Guardiola's brother Pere doing player management at one time. 

You can't deny players on CPL salaries the possibility of getting more income because even at 60k a year, the CPL high-end, it is really in some cities not enough to do anything other than live.

Why even have a salary cap in that case?  It is what it is, and if players don't feel they can survive on that, or are looking for something more financially, those that can need to consider other leagues, or they need to consider another career.  Or the league needs to raise the cap, find other sources of revenue to share with the franchises,...

Atletico Ottawa doesn't have academy teams, and there's not much else for players to do other than front/back office work, which I assume the league would be all over because it's too easy to manipulate.  They run the odd kids camp here and there, but those are pretty small and they would have to massively inflate what they would otherwise pay for that work for it to amount to anything.

On 3/19/2024 at 3:54 PM, Stryker911 said:

Kind of disappointed about this. Thought both of them would move on to a higher league.

Personally, I like watching good football. I don't blame players for moving abroad for better pay, but I'd prefer to see them play down the road every couple of weeks than read a gamesheet about their performances in Timbuktu or wherever. Realistically, if we want to grow as a footballing nation we need our domestic league to get better and that means players will only move to the upper echelons of the game 

1 hour ago, Protega said:

Why even have a salary cap in that case? ...

They also have a salary cap for the coaching and front office side of things as well AFAIA, so presumably the league can stop that from being abused to any significant extent with scenarios like Mason Trafford being the Cavalry's commercial manager. Something that was mentioned recently though is that the Forge are believed to have players being paid to coach Sigma academy teams. At that point can the league police that effectively given Sigma is a separate entity?

• 2 weeks later...