York United - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

8 hours ago, Mihairokov said:

L1O Alliance played at Varsity and there would be random people lined up around the fencing on Bloor just idly watching. Put a team downtown, have tickets be $15, and they'll pack the place out. Couldn't possibly have a worse outcome than York currently.

If they were to move downtown the only logical place to go would be Lamport Stadium . There actually are a couple of other places they could move to like Varsity Stadium which is more or less the exact copy of the York U stadium where United have been playing out of in terms of the way it looks and size . Other options is a stadium at Dufferin and Bloor  which is still downtown, Brockton Stadium it  would need some work to bring it up to par , capacity 3000 and maybe a bit more if you add some temporary stands , but the location is good especially with having a subway stop close by just like Varsity. One other place is Monarch Park stadium where TFC 2 once had a school day game when they were playing in the top division of the USL. Monarch Park stadium is actually a high school stadium, however it has permanent stands that easily fit probably over 4000 people . To this day I’m still puzzled why such a large stadium was built for a high school , I think it was built in the 1960’s from the looks of it but would love to know the story behind why such a big stadium was built for a high school . It would need some work the only other draw back is location I mean it’s downtown kind of but in the east end of what was then the old city of Toronto in I guess what is considered Greek town . Like I said the only place that really makes more sense is Lamport Stadium, which is probably North America’s and I mean the US and Canada’s first ever soccer specific stadium built in the the 1970’s . It was built for soccer to replace an old stadium just down the street on King Street Stanley Park , a stadium a bit smaller in size in terms of capacity where a lot of the old mainly ethnic named teams played their games in the old NSL . 

Edited by SoccMan

1 hour ago, SoccMan said:

Monarch Park stadium is actually a high school stadium, however it has permanent stands that easily fit probably over 4000 people . To this day I’m still puzzled why such a large stadium was built for a high school , I think it was built in the 1960’s from the looks of it but would love to know the story behind why such a big stadium was built for a high school . 

I always found that interesting as well.  East York CI, which is basically up the street from Monarch Park, also had fairly sized grandstands at one point.  

21 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Worth bearing in mind that CanPL wants 8000+ in capacity. That's why there's rumblings that they might be leaving Starlight Stadium in Langford.

I think its just more the club floated that out there to put pressure on the city council. Even as it stends now Starlight is pretty good but the club clearly wants the city to follow thru on its previous commitment of another stands

4 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Worth bearing in mind that CanPL wants 8000+ in capacity.

Definitely an important piece of context, and yes, there were plans to expand Starlight when Stu “never met a development I didn’t like” Young was in charge. Presumably there still are but it won’t be a slam-dunk and a rush to get shovels in the ground as has been the case all over Langford in the last decade.

6 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

That's why there's rumblings that they might be leaving Starlight Stadium in Langford.

Logically unsustainable. There are rumblings because a councillor in a neighbouring community (not Langford, mind) who likes to stir the shit about many things judging from his online history, posted that a source told him that negotiations were not going well and that PFC might leave. Neither he, nor I, nor you, nor CanPL for that matter are in those negotiations.  His conclusion (which you’ve accepted) is that PFC will leave.

Is the need to expand to 8000 capacity the sticking point between PFC and Langford renewing their contract? Maybe. Maybe not. Is it the reason there is an online scramble for messaging right now. Not at all.

The parties could be stuck on dollar amount, parking issues, term of lease, any number of issues, including proposed expansion and who pays; but as the Langford press release and other posts here suggest, they went to significant expense to move the hydro pole and Starlight is one of only a few soccer/rugby stadia in the CRD, so it seems highly unlikely that PFC would move, certainly not imminently. Where would they go?  Centennial at UVic is a one sided cavern and would look as bad as York Lions stadium on camera, and Royal Athletic would be lovely, but would also need updates, would require working around the current baseball tenant, and would result in even worse parking issues as previously noted.
Langford’s new council is more “prudent” and less “enthusiastic” than the last one, let’s say, and thus they have an advantage in negotiation. No surprise there. 
What baffles me is what advantage this Colwood councillor obtains from being an “whistleblower” other than a vague reputation of “being in the know”. Colwood has nowhere currently that could take PFC. What’s to be gained? I don’t get it. 

My guess is that the Colwood councillor is a Pacific fan and is actually helping Dean Shillington & Co put pressure on the new council to follow through on what the previous mayor signed up to do once the hydro pole was moved.

If they are not seen to at least try to follow through on the threat to move elsewhere if the next phase of the stadium expansion doesn't happen how much leverage does the league have in future dealings with other municipalities, if construction stops halfway through what was originally agreed?

Personally think Starlight as is with just over 5000 seats should be more than adequate for Pacific for the forseeable future but that's not how the CSB investors appear to view things.

Yeah, could be.  Not much of a bluff, though, and anyone involved would know it.  PFC's best play to build leverage would be to enter into some long-range discussions with Victoria about RAP and say to Langford, "we would like to expand on these terms, but if you can't meet them, we have other irons in the fire long term".  Problem is, even if RAP is hosting a CFL game which makes the prospect seem potentially hopeful, Victoria council has WAY more pressing issues to deal with and is about as far from Stu Young as they could be in terms of wanting older-school traditional types of development (sports infrastructure, box stores, entire new neighbourhoods cut into hillsides, etc).  By the way, you don't have to go far in Victoria to find people who are unhappy about any municipal initiatives at either end of the spectrum, be they bike lanes or sports stadia.

Edited by shorty

I think its suitable for sure but for those larger opportunities they want that potential for additional revenue streams. Playoffs, Cup games, high profile friendlies.

It's like the Whitecaps.. a 25k seat stadium is perfect for them but when the playoffs come around or Messi cones to town.. isn't it nice to have 55k seats? Not exactly apples to apples but you get my point

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

I think its suitable for sure but for those larger opportunities they want that potential for additional revenue streams. Playoffs, Cup games, high profile friendlies.

It's like the Whitecaps.. a 25k seat stadium is perfect for them but when the playoffs come around or Messi cones to town.. isn't it nice to have 55k seats? Not exactly apples to apples but you get my point

Almost can apply this to BMO Field , we are getting the World Cup there but instead of thinking ahead they are pretty temporary stands there . Does TFC need a 45000 seat stadium well not for every game where 25000 to 30000 is more or les their attendance, but for their big games , playoff , hopefully MLS Cup again one day and big Canadian national team games the need is there .

3 hours ago, narduch said:

It's a shame we aren't getting a nice 5k stadium/training centre as part of the World Cup.

Which could double as a new stadium for York

It's a real shame that Canada will have no permanent soccer infrastructure legacy as a result of the 2026WC. I don't see improvements to the sports fields at Sunnybrook as soccer specific.

32 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

It's a real shame that Canada will have no permanent soccer infrastructure legacy as a result of the 2026WC. I don't see improvements to the sports fields at Sunnybrook as soccer specific.

Are they putting artificial turf back in Vancouver after the World Cup? If not, that would be a small (very small) improvement to go from artificial turf to real grass in 1 stadium.

9 hours ago, SoccMan said:

If they were to move downtown the only logical place to go would be Lamport Stadium . There actually are a couple of other places they could move to like Varsity Stadium which is more or less the exact copy of the York U stadium where United have been playing out of in terms of the way it looks and size . Other options is a stadium at Dufferin and Bloor  which is still downtown, Brockton Stadium it  would need some work to bring it up to par , capacity 3000 and maybe a bit more if you add some temporary stands , but the location is good especially with having a subway stop close by just like Varsity. One other place is Monarch Park stadium where TFC 2 once had a school day game when they were playing in the top division of the USL. Monarch Park stadium is actually a high school stadium, however it has permanent stands that easily fit probably over 4000 people . To this day I’m still puzzled why such a large stadium was built for a high school , I think it was built in the 1960’s from the looks of it but would love to know the story behind why such a big stadium was built for a high school . It would need some work the only other draw back is location I mean it’s downtown kind of but in the east end of what was then the old city of Toronto in I guess what is considered Greek town . Like I said the only place that really makes more sense is Lamport Stadium, which is probably North America’s and I mean the US and Canada’s first ever soccer specific stadium built in the the 1970’s . It was built for soccer to replace an old stadium just down the street on King Street Stanley Park , a stadium a bit smaller in size in terms of capacity where a lot of the old mainly ethnic named teams played their games in the old NSL . 

I'm personally on Team Brockton. Minimal upgrades to that stadium and it would max out at 3K but I can almost guarantee it would be a small, tight, exciting environment, centrally-located in Toronto on multiple TTC lines and within walking distance of many more.

Varsity won't happen because UofT is an even tougher landlord than York. Lamport needs a complete overhaul but wouldn't be a bad option. Monarch or Birchmount would be cool but are a bit longer to get to for some. I'd love to see a team in Scarborough, too, but that's an aside.

4 hours ago, Kadenge said:

A real failure, agreed.

1 minute ago, Mihairokov said:

I'm personally on Team Brockton. Minimal upgrades to that stadium and it would max out at 3K but I can almost guarantee it would be a small, tight, exciting environment, centrally-located in Toronto on multiple TTC lines and within walking distance of many more.

Varsity won't happen because UofT is an even tougher landlord than York. Lamport needs a complete overhaul but wouldn't be a bad option. Monarch or Birchmount would be cool but are a bit longer to get to for some. I'd love to see a team in Scarborough, too, but that's an aside.

A real failure, agreed.

I’ve been to Brockton a few times and it does have potential, I think it would make a perfect little quasi pop up stadium . You can definitely add some temporary type stands in there to get the capacity to a decent level. Moreover , having been involved with a club that played a game there years ago underneath that one stand are two very nice decent size dressing rooms with showers and bathrooms for the players . It would need some work but definitely love the location.

44 minutes ago, Mihairokov said:

A real failure, agreed.

It's not the CSAs failure. We could barely get the politicians on board with the bare minimum. I agree.. this should meant a new stadium in Montreal etc etc but look at the mess Vancouver was

Edited by SpursFlu

You are invited to an exclusive meet and greet with York United FC

203726_emailbars10.png

Enjoy a drink on us, as we get you caught up on all the great progress we have made this offseason!

Wednesday, January 31st, is your chance to hear from our new President & GM, Ricardo Pasquel, alongside Head Coach Martin Nash.

The event will be held at Elephant & Castle (212 King St West) in Toronto and will kick-off at 7:00 pm

Get caught up on everything happening with the club and have your voice heard on the issues that matter most. We want to reconnect with the most important part of our community to help ensure a successful 2024 season.

203726_emailbars10.png

Questions for Ricardo or Martin?

Get involved using the link below

So there's your downtown chance.  I certainly liked these pre season parties in Vaughan or Markham.  

No way I'm driving downtown so I'll take TTC.  

I wonder if they'll even be able to turn the music down so we can hear the announcements.  Don't know about this place but when Centre of the Universe met up at a pub because I wasn't at the main table, I couldn't hear a thing. 

If anyone is going- ask Ricardo if they were told ( am sure they were as part of the due diligence process) about the Mediapro issue before they bought the team. Who knows what he will say but an environment like that type of event may lead to some new info being disclosed. 

7 minutes ago, Markoaleks said:

If anyone is going- ask Ricardo if they were told ( am sure they were as part of the due diligence process) about the Mediapro issue before they bought the team. Who knows what he will say but an environment like that type of event may lead to some new info being disclosed. 

Ya, that topic of conversation is sure to get everyone excited about the season