CMNT supporters getting all expenses paid trips to Qatar?

Razcal

I know most people here are new to the Canadian soccer scene and couldn't have given a shit about the national team 18 months ago when they weren't any good, but Lee is about as dedicated a Voyageur as you can get. Been heavily involved for longer than the 11 years I've been around. Met him at the Women's World Cup against China in 2015, at the 2019 CPL finals second leg and again in Edmonton in November 2021.

I don't know what's going on with him regarding this whole Qatar trip, but anyone here acting like Qatar just called a random person up out of the blue and paid him a bunch of money to pretend they're a supporter is talking out of their ass.

Nef, on the other hand, deserves every piece of criticism you can lob at him.

Edited by shermanator

8 minutes ago, shermanator said:

I know most people here are new to the Canadian soccer scene and couldn't have given a shit about the national team 18 months ago when they weren't any good, but Lee is about as dedicated a Voyageur as you can get. Been heavily involved for longer than the 11 years I've been around. Met him at the Women's World Cup against China in 2015, at the 2019 CPL finals second leg and again in Edmonton in November 2021.

I don't know what's going on with him regarding this whole Qatar trip, but anyone here acting like Qatar just called a random person up out of the blue and paid him a bunch of money to pretend they're a supporter is talking out of their ass.

I don't think the issue I have is with them going to Qatar, it's with them going to Qatar and not acknowledging that it's an all expenses paid trip funded by the Qatari government to give them good PR and "rat out any negative posts".

If that's why you are going, just be forthcoming and say what's happening.

It's even worse for someone who says they want to be a journalist.

15 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Kormish literally admitted it to the German press.

https://www.dw.com/en/fact-check-did-qatar-buy-international-world-cup-fans/a-63812616

13 minutes ago, gator said:

Damn, I got asked to do an interview for Qatari TV, I never did do it as we were having a hard time coordinating a time and date for this live segment, I may have missed the boat on a paid trip to the WC!😟

Exactly!  I would have ratted out a couple of you capitalist pig dogs in exchange for the VIP treatment from an oppressive regime.  

1 hour ago, shermanator said:

I know most people here are new to the Canadian soccer scene and couldn't have given a shit about the national team 18 months ago when they weren't any good

Most of the people in this thread have been around for much longer than 18 months. Trying to defend someone by (falsely) insulting others is a strange choice, but knock yourself out.

2 hours ago, shermanator said:

I don’t think being involved for a long time really absolves you of any criticism though. Fair point that people who are saying he’s not a real Canada soccer supporter are wrong, but seems odd to say that Nef deserves criticism but Kormish doesn’t. I get that Nef is a journalist so should have higher standards, but still not a great look to sell out and intentionally sportswash. 

3 hours ago, Razcal said:

I don't think the issue I have is with them going to Qatar, it's with them going to Qatar and not acknowledging that it's an all expenses paid trip funded by the Qatari government to give them good PR and "rat out any negative posts".

If that's why you are going, just be forthcoming and say what's happening.

It's even worse for someone who says they want to be a journalist.

This is going to read harsh but, meh, never claimed to be a scholar.

Don't know about "ratting" anybody out but have heard Qatar was funding 1,500 fans from across the 32 nations at the finals to get in on the act.  Seems like pretty sharp marketing to me. 

But not an especially clever PR scheme is it?  Just financing the project paints the Qataries in a favourable light with those who benefit from it and I'm sure once there the event itself will impress.  So job at least half done right out of the gate I suppose.   Get them here and people will see they're not a bunch of double headed monsters ordering goose-stepping morality police into fan villages to restore Qatary order. 

Just to be clear, I think all the shit hawks circling Qatar right now they have brought down upon themselves.  And I suspect we've barely seen the beginning of what's to come.  It's going to get 10x worse.  However, 2 things.

1.  I can sympathize with those who feel like the Qataries are tying to be gracious and tolerant hosts.  Things are different there.  But you can't spend the last 30 years wooing Euro trash and hosting 10s of thousands of American servicmen without developing a real good idea of what you're getting yourself into if you invite the world into your house to have a look around.

2.  Infantino is a twat. 

I was incorrect, 3 things.

3.  I'm sure as happy as the Qataries are to have all of soccerdom visiting their lovely country, that has to be good for ones pride, they'll be equally as happy to see them all go home again.  You know, just so things can get back to normal for them and we all can let our outrage fade.  And good news!  Just one more month to go.        

Lol this thread is funny.

I’m hating if I say something bad.
I can’t knock anyone for taking advantage of a great opportunity. Free everything? I wish I knew.

We like to turn a blind eye to what goes on in our own backyard, but to only cast light on the trials and tribulations of other countries.

As someone who wanted to go, I would’ve definitely signed up, as I’m just a mere fan, and I’m not influenced by things in the media. Does that make me a bad person on this forum….lol   

So kudos to Lee. 

Edited by Shway