Pacific FC - 2023 Season Thread

20 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Then you'll see niche regions that are smaller but compete well, often because they have longstanding pro teams, or a strong character in how they train.

This is something that I'm really curious to see develop with the CPL. Which, if any, of the CPL teams will emerge as a development centre that punches above its weight in 10-15 years...

2 hours ago, Admiral Murray said:

This morning:

image.thumb.png.01d628eecffa4f95106668565f147f80.png

I drove past yesterday, and it took me ages to get past the stadium because of construction activities. It looked like an awful lot of people were involved. It can't be cheap.

11 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

I drove past yesterday, and it took me ages to get past the stadium because of construction activities. It looked like an awful lot of people were involved. It can't be cheap.

That sucks, but I am heartened by a lot of people working!!  I wonder if someone should play taps when it finally comes down?  

20 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

That sucks, but I am heartened by a lot of people working!!  I wonder if someone should play taps when it finally comes down?  

I'm not sure it's particularly revered. More of a nuisance than anything else, but space will always be competed for on the south island.

Edited by Aird25

Watched the preseason game at UVic last night.  PFC dominant in the first half with a mostly first choice lineup. Aparicio stole a ball at 35m and went on a mazy run, finished at the near post. Josh Heard was taken down and put away the PK for the second goal.  Blanking on the third and there’s no media yet. No numbers but it looked like Vliet-TMG-Lajeunesse(?)-Mukumbilwa; Young-Toussaint-Aparicio; Brazao-Daniels-Heard. Controlled 70-80% of the play but UVic were game opposition, defended well in deep. Lajeunesse did not look out of place and Brazao has some fun stuff in his locker. Could be frustrating too though — often offside and did not see runs from teammates. Might come with time. Second half looked like Vliet-Didic-Lajeunesse-Mukumbilwa; Toussaint-Lamothe-Yeates; Brazao, (?), Karajovanovic(?). CF could have been Reid but I don’t think so — I’ve seen Reid before but not the new guy Sellouf. Bunch of players (Dada-Luke, Amedume, Ontario, etc) sitting in the stands and didn’t play. Still decent possession in 2nd half overall but did not slice through UVic like the first half. Some awkward giveaways leading to UVic counters. Always recovered, but not as assured as you should want from pros. Young Island kid Marvasti came on for Toussaint and his Wave teammates were a hilarious cheering section for his every touch. Quite funny. Thanks to Northern Trubune for the trialist article or I never would have known who was out on the field. Might have been close to 1000 people there (including supporters with drums who kept it up all game — well done). Gangs of kids behind the goal collecting balls and running around the track to high five players of both teams at half. Was lots of fun. 

(Baskett in goal first half, Gazdov in at half, neither with much to do)

Edited by shorty

52 minutes ago, shorty said:

Watched the preseason game at UVic last night.  PFC dominant in the first half with a mostly first choice lineup. Aparicio stole a ball at 35m and went on a mazy run, finished at the near post. Josh Heard was taken down and put away the PK for the second goal.  Blanking on the third and there’s no media yet. No numbers but it looked like Vliet-TMG-Lajeunesse(?)-Mukumbilwa; Young-Toussaint-Aparicio; Brazao-Daniels-Heard. Controlled 70-80% of the play but UVic were game opposition, defended well in deep. Lajeunesse did not look out of place and Brazao has some fun stuff in his locker. Could be frustrating too though — often offside and did not see runs from teammates. Might come with time. Second half looked like Vliet-Didic-Lajeunesse-Mukumbilwa; Toussaint-Lamothe-Yeates; Brazao, (?), Karajovanovic(?). CF could have been Reid but I don’t think so — I’ve seen Reid before but not the new guy Sellouf. Bunch of players (Dada-Luke, Amedume, Ontario, etc) sitting in the stands and didn’t play. Still decent possession in 2nd half overall but did not slice through UVic like the first half. Some awkward giveaways leading to UVic counters. Always recovered, but not as assured as you should want from pros. Young Island kid Marvasti came on for Toussaint and his Wave teammates were a hilarious cheering section for his every touch. Quite funny. Thanks to Northern Trubune for the trialist article or I never would have known who was out on the field. Might have been close to 1000 people there (including supporters with drums who kept it up all game — well done). Gangs of kids behind the goal collecting balls and running around the track to high five players of both teams at half. Was lots of fun. 

(Baskett in goal first half, Gazdov in at half, neither with much to do)

Third goal was Toussaint according to twitter 

Thanks for all of the updates. Interesting that Amedume didn't see the field, assuming he has a knock? Lajeunese fitting in is great news. Their centreback pool is looking very deep. I wonder if Didic will be a target to transfer out for profit next season if the young guys are able to reach their potential.

Edited by Pottsy3

Was at the game too. Lots of fun. The Uvic keeper who played in the 2nd half made some nice saves and had good distribution. You wonder if these types of games ever present a showcase opportunity. Would be nice if that happened. 

Also nice to get the community out -- and the best thing was the price: free! Great way to get families and kids out for a game that would have been played behind closed doors otherwise. 

3 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

Third goal was Toussaint according to twitter 

Thanks for all of the updates. Interesting that Amedume didn't see the field, assuming he has a knock? Lajeunese fitting in is great news. Their centreback pool is looking very deep. I wonder if Didic will be a target to transfer out for profit next season if the young guys are able to reach their potential.

Thanks.  I always forget to check @pacificfccpl and just search for pacificfc.  Weird though, that the search often doesn't turn up any results for the official handle.  (Don't actually have a Twitter account, I just lurk)

1 hour ago, Boominbooty said:

You wonder if these types of games ever present a showcase opportunity.

You would assume that's on the minds of the Uvic players if not the PFC staff.  There was some nice play by some of the UVic players -- some good linking play through the middle, some nice hold-up play by their CF, and a few good recovery tackles on Brazao, who a few times sat a fullback down with a great move, but then did not use his advantage right away and got caught in possession.

• 2 weeks later...