Pacific FC - 2023 Season Thread

33 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

With Sean Young potentially moving on, I really hope we get to see Sam Marvasti at some point this season. Has he made the bench at all yet?

Not that I’ve noticed. Should see him at some point now that  school’s out. Then again there are a bunch of players who never seem to make the bench:  Garner (no surprise there), Binate (injury recovery?), Lajeunesse (on again, off again… back soon for U21 minutes surely), Brazao (not sure why he’s fallen out)

No Marvasti sightings yet. If any of the fringe players are going to get more minutes July is the time for it to happen. Starting Saturday, Pacific play 4 games in 14 days. I wouldn't be surprised if two stronger starters stay behind on the island to avoid all the travel. Pacific usually bring a smaller squad out on road trips but given the two games in 3 days maybe they bring an extra player or two; good chance for some of the younger players to get some minutes. I suspect Gazdov gets a start for one of these 4 games.

I'm surprised Brazao has gone missing. I thought he looked pretty good in his limited minutes so far.

It would be good experience for Marvasti to go on a road trip with the boys, even if he doesn't get any minutes. I could see Gazdov getting another start. Lajeunesse as well. We're starting to fall behind the pace on U21 minutes. I'm not a fan of that rule

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

5 games without a win, a few thoughts on this mid-season stretch:

- The finishing has been awful, 2 missed penalties and then in the games against York and Forge multiple shots went over the bar despite sustaining pressure for long periods.

- League positioning has a big effect on players' mentality. Some of the Pacific guys seemed a bit overconfident/casual in recent weeks. Meanwhile, Ottawa and Calgary played exceptionally well against PFC and then followed up with less than stellar performances. Heavy is the head that wears the crown, or something to that effect.

- Reid needs to be on when opponents are bunkering or in a low block. He's so much more creative with his movement than Daniels and Ongaro.

- 3 games against Forge this season and only one goal scored from a GK error. Need to move away from relying on crosses into the box, James and co are too good at defending that tactic.

- Dada-Luke is shockingly bad at defending the far post, I don't know how this hasn't been addressed yet.

Next game is against a heavily injured Valour team. Time for a win please.

5 hours ago, Big_M said:

This guy you may recall is from Barcelona and coached in La Masia, and Pacific was his first gig away from home, hired last January. At Brentford the goalkeeper coach is an older Spaniard who has been there a few years. I really don't think they are colleagues, I think Ortiz must have put in a resume or negotiated it. Good move, great for him really, huge leap. But good for our league to be providing these opportunities.

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

...He has worked with top pro goalkeepers such as José Moreira of CD Cova Piedade and Amir Abedzadeh of Sociedad Desportiva Ponferradina...

Sounds a bit like a Troy McClure introduction on The Simpsons.

Iranian and Portuguese internationals. 250 games in top flight Portugal and over 500 pro games between them. 

12 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

...He has worked with top pro goalkeepers such as José Moreira of CD Cova Piedade and Amir Abedzadeh of Sociedad Desportiva Ponferradina...

Sounds a bit like a Troy McClure introduction on The Simpsons.

La Ponferradina has frequently been in Spanish 2nd division, where Iain Hume played for them. I know the town, and the stadium.

The keeper in question has been an Iran international. As Ponferrada is relatively close to Portugal, there is quite a bit of movement between that region and the latter country. As is the case with the adjacent region of Galicia where Celta Vigo and Deportivo de la Coruña are. So De Guzman played in that part of Spain, Fisk played up there, so did Piette. 

Conclusion:  indicative of his usual cultural myopia bordering on airs of ethnic superiority. Sees a bunch of Spanish and Portuguese names and its all mumbo jumbo, let's have a laugh. But in line with criticising things he does not understand and then flaunting his ignorance. He could have picked any club or player, and then mocks amongst the highest rated clubs and players of all listed.

Edit. Did not mention that José Moreira was at Benfica for a decade, mostly as 2nd keeper, but averaged 10 games a year. Teammates with Fernando Aguiar. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports23/23tfc254.htm

...Just today it was announced that TFC II have loaned defender Jalen Watson to Pacific FC of the Canadian Premier League (CPL) for the rest of the season. I hadn't noticed him in the lineup for quite awhile and in the fine print of the announcement it said he'd only played in two TFC II games this season...

• 2 weeks later...