Pacific FC - 2023 Season Thread

Must admit, though I'm a Vancouverite, for now I have more connection with Pacific. Vancouver FC is just a concept for me, have a closer bond to the Island team. 

It'll be interesting to see how the rivalry develops, most Vancouverites I think won't feel any negative feelings towards Pacific, the opposite would be more natural.

43 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Must admit, though I'm a Vancouverite, for now I have more connection with Pacific. Vancouver FC is just a concept for me, have a closer bond to the Island team. 

It'll be interesting to see how the rivalry develops, most Vancouverites I think won't feel any negative feelings towards Pacific, the opposite would be more natural.

We’ll see how the separation of ownership works out. We had a pretty good thing going before Vancouver joined, despite the challenging pandemic times. If that changes and Vancouver thrives I can certainly see some resentment build

21 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

We’ll see how the separation of ownership works out. We had a pretty good thing going before Vancouver joined, despite the challenging pandemic times. If that changes and Vancouver thrives I can certainly see some resentment build

That is fair, but on paper that is not happening. The stadium is moving forward in Langford, the pole is still being removed. They are re-signing and signing players and the team looks very solid, competitive. The roster is currently quite a bit better than VFC's, which seems a bit bare bones.  There is continuity with Merriman, deservedly. 

If in the end VFC competes and Pacific doesn't, I appreciate you could be concerned there is more emphasis on one club by ownership, it is tricky. I don't know if in early MLS days similar complaints emerged with Lamar Hunt owning more than a few teams, if there was favoritism. But you also have to appreciate that VFC has the right to compete. Maybe the coach is extremely good, maybe they gel, maybe the home atmosphere drives their home results. If VFC surpasses Pacific you can't be automatically making that argument, because it would be gratuitous.

https://northerntribune.ca/pacific-fc-la-masia-goalkeeper-coach-daniel-ortiz/

i am not going to lie from a GK development standpoint this is quite the investment. Don’t think it was cheap to get him to leave there but man the knowledge he will bring, if Gazdov flourishes we know why… if they become a GL factory we know why. Very exciting to have a coach with this pedigree working with our future players. 

23 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

https://northerntribune.ca/pacific-fc-la-masia-goalkeeper-coach-daniel-ortiz/

i am not going to lie from a GK development standpoint this is quite the investment. Don’t think it was cheap to get him to leave there but man the knowledge he will bring, if Gazdov flourishes we know why… if they become a GL factory we know why. Very exciting to have a coach with this pedigree working with our future players. 

@Unnamed Trialistdo you know much about Daniel Ortiz?

2 hours ago, Aird25 said:

No clue. I thought you were a Barca fan and maybe had kids in the program

If you thought I was a Barça fan, you'll excuse me for doing a "Barça" thing when you asked, sorry. So short reply was only for that reason.

I've been able to take a look, but it'd be good to know his age, there are a lot of people with that name. The earliest I have him is at Castelldefels, which is just on the other side of the airport if anyone's been here. At one point that club was in 4th tier, now they are in 3rd Federation, which is 5th tier. But it's a good level, semi-pro; he was first team goalkeeper coach and head of keeping for their academy, I suppose a few hundred kids. That academy often had foreign kids, often of a higher economic level, because there's a wealthier strip near the beach out there (saying this for possible English level).

He was hired around 2016 to go to Barça, and that was legit. He was not in the pay to play academy (which I had my doubts about), he coached the lower levels at the Masia, and most recently he was keeper coach for one of the u-16 teams, of which there are just two; or else for the programme at that age, they may do more than one. Usually these guys at big clubs would do special training for keepers, conditioning and extra-training session plans for keepers, some keeper injury stuff, as well as going out and evaluating keepers.

He has his UEFA licenses, a specific UEFA keeping license, and was a coach with the Spanish federation as well. 

Important stuff. First, they make okay salaries, modest, they may do other things during the day; but I guess, at some point, they want a change. I don't know if he knows anyone, he may know Tenllado, or the guy who was at HFX, or the Atlético project, hard to say.

More important stuff: if you hire a Masia keeper coach you damn well better want certain things of your keeper. Like a-playing out from the back effectively, and b-good footwork in general, and c-able to play behind a high line. Plus all the tactical savvy and communication with a defence that is part of the possession system. So that is interesting, because if Merriman wants to play that way and they are thinking of hiring a keeper to help them do so, then amazing. A great challenge, but you need to commit to it. If you just want him to bring down crosses and boot it upfield, no sense to hire this guy. 

Just saying: Borjan is nervous af playing out from the back, he can't do it, has zero confidence. And he's never been asked to either, and then can make bonehead errors in positioning with the ball on the ground, on his feet, on a teammate's feet. We need a new generation of Canadian keepers training with the field players, playing as field players, plus the shot stopping.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

2 hours ago, red card said:

Kit leak? All the way from Barcelona.

I bet that is at Futbolmania, which is literally 5 minutes from my house.

They had no Canada shirt before the World Cup, if I'm not mistaken, it was the only WC shirt they didn't have.

Edit: I'm a genius!

https://www.futbolmania.com/es/camisetas-futbol#/dffullscreen/query=Pacific&query_name=match_and&type[0]=products

58563323_camiseta-color-purpura-macron-pacific-fc-2022-2023_1_completa-frontal.jpg

/5/8/58563323_camiseta-purpura-macron-pacific-fc-2022-2023_2_completa-trasera.jpg

/5/8/58563323_camiseta-macron-pacific-fc-2022-2023-purpura_4_detalle-autenticidad.jpg

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I bet that is at Futbolmania, which is literally 5 minutes from my house.

They had no Canada shirt before the World Cup, if I'm not mistaken, it was the only WC shirt they didn't have.

Edit: I'm a genius!

https://www.futbolmania.com/es/camisetas-futbol#/dffullscreen/query=Pacific&query_name=match_and&type[0]=products

58563323_camiseta-color-purpura-macron-pacific-fc-2022-2023_1_completa-frontal.jpg

The bear looks really really good. A fresh & amazing look.

I wonder if the other club kits will also show their own spirit type animal.

22 hours ago, narduch said:

Still think it's pretty wild these are sold outside of Canada. 

Also are sleeve sponsors new?

I think that Macron might do this, stick a yet to be released shirt in a shop on the other side of the world and see about reactions. Or maybe it's a teaser of sorts, but the shirt is fully registered on their website, so it's in inventory. 

I checked for all the other CPL shirts, none available.

Regular price at 82€ gives you 118 Canadian at current exchange. Is that a good price?

8 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think that Macron might do this, stick a yet to be released shirt in a shop on the other side of the world and see about reactions. Or maybe it's a teaser of sorts, but the shirt is fully registered on their website, so it's in inventory. 

I checked for all the other CPL shirts, none available.

Regular price at 82€ gives you 118 Canadian at current exchange. Is that a good price?

I believe $120 Canadian is the going rate. 

MLS jerseys are $160 I think for comparison 

So with dos Santos out do people think pacific will bring in a natural right winger or go with what they have?

Daniels and Binate can cover out wide but also need to back up Ongaro . Heard and Sellouf are natural lefties but maybe they will interchange?

Feel like Pacific will bring in one more impact player though.

The squad is still short another CB, LB cover and a GK (Hasal please). Pacific do traditionally go short in numbers though.