Pacific FC - 2023 Season Thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The win in Halifax reminded me a bit of the win for the trophy at Hamilton, where Pacific changes things up, stymies the rival well and the coaching plus committment from the players wins you a game where you are not favoured. So that is encouraging, that toughness.

Actually HFX had better chances last weekend than Forge did in that final.

While this is positive, the problem for Pacific is having to do it twice more, in Calvary and then, if through, in Hamilton again. I think it is possible but the team seems overextended, the sort of team whose luck should probably run out.

Hope I am wrong.

46 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The win in Halifax reminded me a bit of the win for the trophy at Hamilton, where Pacific changes things up, stymies the rival well and the coaching plus committment from the players wins you a game where you are not favoured. So that is encouraging, that toughness.

Actually HFX had better chances last weekend than Forge did in that final.

While this is positive, the problem for Pacific is having to do it twice more, in Calvary and then, if through, in Hamilton again. I think it is possible but the team seems overextended, the sort of team whose luck should probably run out.

Hope I am wrong.

We were the best team for much of the year. Then teams figured out the one man press from Daniels and Sellouf's moves on the dribble. Somehow our set piece attack looks abysmal now too, so I think we'll live and breathe on solid defense and goal tending, and perhaps a rejuvenated Kekuta Manneh

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Hope I am wrong.

Initially it seemed obvious that Pacific would at least field the same backline as why would you change things when you've had back to back clean sheets in quick succession. With Dada-Luke's suspension they'll have to bring in either Amedume or Vliet who are both very different types of defenders. We've also seen this year that Pacific will change their wide attackers based on who is playing behind them in the fullback role. All this to say, Pacific is almost working with a blank canvas for their next game. Gazdov, TMG, Didic and Aparicio all likely start in their expected spots but beyond that it's hard to tell how the team will look.

Not only is the luck running out, they're also against a tougher opponent that's beaten them in the last three matches. Still, anything can happen.

3 hours ago, davey_twelve said:

Initially it seemed obvious that Pacific would at least field the same backline as why would you change things when you've had back to back clean sheets in quick succession. With Dada-Luke's suspension they'll have to bring in either Amedume or Vliet who are both very different types of defenders. We've also seen this year that Pacific will change their wide attackers based on who is playing behind them in the fullback role. All this to say, Pacific is almost working with a blank canvas for their next game. Gazdov, TMG, Didic and Aparicio all likely start in their expected spots but beyond that it's hard to tell how the team will look.

Not only is the luck running out, they're also against a tougher opponent that's beaten them in the last three matches. Still, anything can happen.

True, but Cavalry has a lot more to lose. That creates anxiety as the home team thinks it has to be more proactive. Pacific can be cagey if they want. Then, Pacific gets to correct recent results, which in playoffs is sometimes better than trying to imitate previous results.