Pacific FC - 2023 Season Thread

From a curious and supportive outsider:  The last I heard was that the hydro pole was going to migrate across the road, but then the pro footie mayor lost an election to the Anti-Fun Party.  Is the hydro pole staying or going?  ...or, keeping the curse on the sport in Canada in mind, are they adding a second one?

Edited by vancanman

6 minutes ago, vancanman said:

From a curious and supportive outsider:  The last I heard was that the hydro pole was going to migrate across the road, but then the pro footie mayor lost an election to the Anti-Fun Party.  Is the hydro pole staying or going?  ...or, keeping the curse on the sport in Canada in mind, are they adding a second one?

You're aware Pacific put out a tweet supporting the incumbent a few days before the election? Then eliminated it.

This is the height of stupidity and arrogance on the part of a private entity. If I were newly elected I'd scoured every single deal they have with the city of Langford because they obviously have no respect for democratic process.

6 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You're aware Pacific put out a tweet supporting the incumbent a few days before the election? Then eliminated it.

This is the height of stupidity and arrogance on the part of a private entity. If I were newly elected I'd scoured every single deal they have with the city of Langford because they obviously have no respect for democratic process.

6 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Nope.

So I guess the answer to my question is there'll be at least one hydro pole in the middle of the stadium for the foreseeable future.  The curse continues.

56 minutes ago, vancanman said:

Nope.

So I guess the answer to my question is there'll be at least one hydro pole in the middle of the stadium for the foreseeable future.  The curse continues.

It is not a curse, though, I have to insist. That was one of the most boneheaded things I have ever seen a club do, declare for an incumbent in a municipal election. It shows such a low level of political savvy and a deep disrespect for their own fans, who have every right to vote in any way they want, of course, regardless of how the team or the stadium might have gotten there.

I was told by someone on site last summer that the previous stadium expansion brought in from Italy did not go through a proper public tender, and that one of the things that could delay the new stands was having to ensure that any public expenditure did go through a proper bidding process. So if they want to lift up the rugs and see what's under, they are likely to find things.

I'm a Pacific fan, and a CPL fan, and understand perfectly well that to get municipalities to cooperate on infrastructure there are often dubious deals being done that benefit my interests as a fan. Sport advances all too often with a load of crap steaming just under the surface.

I am just looking at it objectively: they are dopes those guys, Shillington, Friend, or maybe just the dolt who put out that tweet on his own, thinking he was helping the cause.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Good news for Dean Shillington & Co if this is true:

...but begs the question of why they felt a need to send that pro-Stew Young tweet, if that's the case.

Not to mention all Pacific fans... Stew is the main reason a team ended up in this city. I'm sure I'll regret saying this, but I'm not sure I consider a small amount of public support to be a breach on democracy like some seem to. He's been a big part of the club

Edited by Aird25

3 minutes ago, narduch said:

Makes sense that the deals were already signed for both the hydro poll and new stands.

Those aren't the kind of projects you can put together last second. Especially in today's supply chain issue environment

If we're getting political, that makes you wonder why the Langford Now group even bothered to attack the stadium expansion plans in the nights leading up to the election.

On 11/15/2022 at 12:11 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

they are dopes those guys, Shillington, Friend, or maybe just the dolt who put out that tweet on his own, thinking he was helping the cause.

It was boneheaded for sure.  I am also pretty sure that neither Friend nor Shillington knew nothing about it and I expect they are the ones who had it pulled. Anyway, it's old news.

Just curious if any of the Pacific fans have heard anything about this, but as a rugby fan I've been hearing that a pro team is coming to BC, with the most likely destination being Langford (since the stadium was originally built for rugby).  Team would be in SLAR (not MLR), but even in a short season (5-7 home games) could really chew up the field.

7 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Just curious if any of the Pacific fans have heard anything about this, but as a rugby fan I've been hearing that a pro team is coming to BC, with the most likely destination being Langford (since the stadium was originally built for rugby).  Team would be in SLAR (not MLR), but even in a short season (5-7 home games) could really chew up the field.

They played the entire Women's Rugby 7s there (not any more), plus the national training programme is there, and I don't think it chewed up the field. 

Perhaps you are referring to what could wear out field turf faster? I realize the life of a new generation turf field is limited, just not sure how long it is.

edit, thanks for the tip @Watchmenhere's a story

https://www.americasrugbynews.com/2022/10/06/slar-set-to-add-north-american-teams-in-2023/

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

On 11/19/2022 at 5:13 PM, Watchmen said:

Team would be in SLAR (not MLR), but even in a short season (5-7 home games) could really chew up the field.

Why? It's a plastic field, built purposely to withstand heavy use. Artificial turf doesn't get "chewed up" like natural grass.