HFX Wanderers - 2023 Season Thread

15 hours ago, wallflower said:

Yup. Gheisar bringing a York Region pipeline, no doubt now!

It will be interesting to see where Schaale lands. Good run in Canada, from university and PDL to CPL but maybe back to the old country?!

Schaale should absolutely land somewhere he's very good despite a down year. I hope he stays in Canada.

3 hours ago, toontownman said:

Exciting signing but also a tiny bit dissapointing he couldn't break through. He gets a next step that can absolutely propell him up or to Europe though. 

He is breaking through 😎 Hope he wears Canada on his shirt, getting excited about the upcoming season, will be out to ATO games, as much to see some of the young talent on other teams as watching my team.   The guaranteed U21 minutes are important to attracting young talent to CPL, they know they will be getting minutes.   Wonder if CPL will increase the minimum requirements again.   CPL teams are also signing players to longer contracts, great for sell-on potential.  Canada is sexy now in soccer.

Excellent interview with Patrice Gheiser put out by the From Aways. Some choice quotes that give us a bit if insight into how he sees some of the key players playing, as well as how he hopes to build the team:

We discuss the players the club has retained, and I ask him for a one or two line summation of how he sees them. We start with João Morelli, the club’s former Golden Boot winner who spent last season out with an ACL injury.

“Morelli? Prolific. A goal-scorer. A fantastic player. He can play in-behind or underneath. A modern day nine-and-a-half”

Mohammed Omar?

“Endless potential. We’re going to transition him into a full-time defender. He reads the game incredibly well. Great passing range and great, great leadership skills. I enjoy it every time I speak to him. If I had to describe him in one word, I’d say ‘winner’”

Cristian Campagna?

“Young, a high level of desire and potential, and a great passer. If we play with a back three he’s going to fit into that system fantastically. He’s going to really enjoy this system”

Zachary Fernandez?

“A big surprise to Halifax and CPL coaching staff. A good full-back. And now our job is to push him to an even higher level. We're going try to make him like a Dani Alves, like a real attacking full-back who almost plays as a right-winger. Good attitude, brave, and also a guy who wants to win”

And finally, Aidan Daniels. From a talent perspective, I tell him, I believe Daniels is potentially the best player in the Halifax squad. But last season it didn’t quite click. Why does he think that is?

“I’ve know Aidan for a long time and I really believe his best days are coming. He’s a super technical, silky smooth player. But Aidan needs to be challenged in a way that makes him feel empowered. He needs to really know his role. I think he’s going to love it here next season.”

Gheisar cites Pep Guardiola, Louis Van Gal, Arsene Wenger (“I’m more Wenger than Mourinho”) and, interestingly, Brighton’s Roberto De Zerbi as influences. The common thread between all four is an aggressive, attacking approach to the game. It’s these values he’ll try to transmit to his players in February.

Some interesting takeaways for sure. Omar as a Defender is intriguing. There is also a quote in there about Rampersad being an MLS-level guy playing in CPL. And the comment about a back three may give us a bit of sense of formation. Back 3 with two wingbacks?  

EDIT: Whoops! Forgot the link. https://www.fromaways.com/post/interview-patrice-gheisar-halifax-wanderers-head-coach

Edited by Copes

5 hours ago, Copes said:

Some interesting takeaways for sure. Omar as a Defender is intriguing. 

This was exactly where everyone projected he would likely end up when he was picked in the MLS superdraft, mainly due to his lack of pace. Big things were tipped for him in the MLS draft so it's definitely interesting thats an instant fix from Gheisar. He had a rough first year and I am very excited with Halifax this coming season. Maybe with another big piece or two to come in!

8 hours ago, Copes said:

Excellent interview with Patrice Gheiser put out by the From Aways. Some choice quotes that give us a bit if insight into how he sees some of the key players playing, as well as how he hopes to build the team:

Some interesting takeaways for sure. Omar as a Defender is intriguing. There is also a quote in there about Rampersad being an MLS-level guy playing in CPL. And the comment about a back three may give us a bit of sense of formation. Back 3 with two wingbacks?  

EDIT: Whoops! Forgot the link. https://www.fromaways.com/post/interview-patrice-gheisar-halifax-wanderers-head-coach

The transparency that Halifax is getting from Gheiser is so refreshing.

My description of him scoring the winning goal for @vaughansoccercl in @L1OMens action on June 26th at 94 minutes against @FCLondon http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports22/22l1o029.htm Best L1O goal I remember from last season.

I have a feeling that Vaughan will be drawn against HFX in the first round of Canadian Championships as the stories write themselves.   Azzurri's men's coach, women's coach, and now leading scorer join HFX within a month.  

I wonder if Christian Curti lands in HFX. Went undrafted through the MLS Superdraft and Northern Tribune mentions his relationship with Gheisar:

"If he doesn’t go in the draft, he’ll have close ties to new Halifax Wanderers head coach Patrice Gheisar, who let the defender join an age-up group with Vaughan and saw him flourish in his seven League1 Ontario appearances this season. His years with the club also saw him win the U-17 and U-18 Ontario Youth Soccer League Championships, the U-21 Provincial Elite Soccer League Championship, and the Disney Soccer Showcase Division Championship, too"

• 2 weeks later...