HFX Wanderers - 2023 Season Thread

Looks like a signing coming today. Guessing it's someone from Quebec judging by the remarks in French.

Maybe PLSQ player of the year Loic Kwemi? Another FB with Northern African Heritage from Blainville? Wandrille Lefevre's return to the pro game?

It would make sense for it to be one of the players cut from CF Montreal this year like Bassong / Giraldo. The HFX management has been at the FTF Top 60 Under 25 combine in Toronto this week, so maybe it's someone from there? Roster's can be seen here: https://www.instagram.com/p/CnAbJ1GPeEY/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Can you guys tell I'm having a slow work day?

Edited by Pottsy3

HFX is the most interesting team to me right now. They've made some moves that are easy to get excited by.

The midfield has a lot of flair to it now, between the PSG guy, the addition of Timoteo and another year of Aidan Daniels. Their full strength attack will have a lot of depth to it: with Morelli coming off injury, Salter having a good season, Mwandwe being there from the start and Coimbra as the exciting youth addition.

The defense and goalkeeping is really the biggest question mark at this time. Campagna and Fernandez have looked like studs at times, and Omar had a big pedigree heading into last season. Some veteran additions could turn this into a really competitive group.

I thought I read somewhere Timoteo would likely be used in a way (on the left) that makes him what Fernandez is on the right.  So I’m picturing him as a wing back / defender more than a midfielder… but who knows.

Edited by Lurker

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

I thought I read somewhere Timoteo would likely be used in a way (on the left) that makes him what Fernandez is on the right.  So I’m picturing him as a wing back / defender more than a midfielder… but who knows.

Maybe we'll see something like a 3-4-3, with Timoteo and Fernandez playing out wide. I too thought I had read something like that about Timoteo. 

44 minutes ago, narduch said:

Former Montreal academy player.

I hope in the long run the CPL becomes the better choice then toiling around these lower Euro leagues.

But many will do that because they believe that being in Europe they are closer to the bigger European leagues and the eyes of the scouts . 

Exciting signing. Have been waiting doe the GK news. 

Team starting to take shape. If we were to try and line up eleven right now the backline is what I'm struggling the most with. We have a lot of attacking pieces. I'm assuming most remaining signings will be defensive. 

3 hours ago, Copes said:

Exciting signing. Have been waiting doe the GK news. 

Team starting to take shape. If we were to try and line up eleven right now the backline is what I'm struggling the most with. We have a lot of attacking pieces. I'm assuming most remaining signings will be defensive. 

Fillon

Fernandez ------------------ Omar --------------------------------- Campagna ------------------ Timoteo

Would it look something like this? Ruby is still there so you could go back three with him on the right allowing Fernandez and Timoteo to play as wing backs.

Edited by Lurker

12 hours ago, Lurker said:

Fillon

Fernandez ------------------ Omar --------------------------------- Campagna ------------------ Timoteo

Would it look something like this? Ruby is still there so you could go back three with him on the right allowing Fernandez and Timoteo to play as wing backs.

This is probably it at the moment however I can't say I'm super confident. I do think we are going to see 3 with Fernandez and Timoteo in more advancing wing-back roles based on Gheisar's comments.

I'm really thinking we are looking at a 3-4-3 sort of set up based on the players we have acquired.

3 hours ago, Copes said:

This is probably it at the moment however I can't say I'm super confident. I do think we are going to see 3 with Fernandez and Timoteo in more advancing wing-back roles based on Gheisar's comments.

I'm really thinking we are looking at a 3-4-3 sort of set up based on the players we have acquired.

Timoteo looked really good as a central midfielder in an advanced role with FC Edmonton when I watched last year.

Signing a vet like Karl Ouimette who can play in the middle or wide in a back line would make a lot of sense.