HFX Wanderers - 2023 Season Thread

https://canpl.ca/article/wanderers-sign-english-midfielder-callum-watson

Once bitten twice shy but I'm cautiously optimistic with Halifax. Need some exciting wide players. Upfront, central midfield and defence looks largely solid and promising.

Absolutely..

BUZZING. 

Edited by toontownman
Hard to contain not sharing his excitement

12 hours ago, toontownman said:

One of these new guys can play on the wing right? Right?? (or left)

I'm convinced that they are going to play high-wingbacks. Based on what we are acquiring it seems like we will see something like a 3-4-3 with our wingbacks pushed up to be the wide aspect of our midfield 4. 

EDIT: No idea who is going to be favored by Patrice, but something like this? Note I'm assuming Morelli still isn't ready in this one.

lineup.png

Edited by Copes

6 hours ago, Copes said:

I'm convinced that they are going to play high-wingbacks. Based on what we are acquiring it seems like we will see something like a 3-4-3 with our wingbacks pushed up to be the wide aspect of our midfield 4. 

EDIT: No idea who is going to be favored by Patrice, but something like this? Note I'm assuming Morelli still isn't ready in this one.

lineup.png

That would make a ton of sense. I also got an illogical spidey sense it would be HFX as a landing spot for Maël Henry. That said I had a spidey sense there would be positive news about Saskatoon in the CPL this week, so expect him to sign with Valour or VFC lol

28 minutes ago, toontownman said:

What. It's 9.42pm in Halifax and no love in this thread from this mornings announcement on Ryan James? 

Another really smart signing. Solid, experienced player that can cover several positions if needed. I'm a broken record at this stage but I'm loving how HFX is shaping up.

Roster quickly filling up,  need a keeper and a U21 player, I guess signing Rushenas, drafted from Dalhousie, would fill both requirements  Depending on Sow's status, there is only one or two roster spots available.   HFX's rebuild sure looks better than Valour's.

6 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Roster quickly filling up,  need a keeper and a U21 player, I guess signing Rushenas, drafted from Dalhousie, would fill both requirements  Depending on Sow's status, there is only one or two roster spots available.   HFX's rebuild sure looks better than Valour's.

That isn't hard. Even Vancouver's looks better than Valour's!!! 😞

In all fairness though, HFX are looking strong this year.

2 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

That isn't hard. Even Vancouver's looks better than Valour's!!! 😞

In all fairness though, HFX are looking strong this yea

Yeah I'm feeling really good about the roster Halifax has assembled. Patrice is off to a good start in my books. I'm so eager to see thus squad on the field. TFC is going to have to hold me over but its going to be tough to wait.

As to the other comment, yes, we are pretty close to full. Second GK is an obvious pickup, and then there isn't much room left. The severe lack of midfield only solidifies my assumption about how we're going to be lining up.

2 hours ago, toontownman said:

Gutted about Salter leaving but think it was always on the cards after the past two years form and HFX stocking up on forwards. Still sad. Hope that gives HFX room for one more standout signing. 

My son is going to be very disappointed, he was one of his favourites.  Personally sad to see him go but he wasn’t lethal in open play and didn’t offer much in the air.  Wish him all the best, hope he does great in Ottawa.

Looking forward to this drastically different season for the Wanderers!