HFX Wanderers - 2023 Season Thread

Success in CanPL revolves to a considerable extent around an ability to attract the best available Canadian players who will play for a relatively low salary. They are a lot more likely to live in the GTA than Halifax so having a coach with strong connections at grassroots level from there and even holding part of pre-season training in the Quebec-Windsor corridor rather than Nova Scotia would probably be a good move.

24 minutes ago, Ftduck said:

I dont remember anyone freaking out when Bobby was hired at Forge and look how that's worked out. 

Exactly, what are the chances of hiring some heavy hitter from somewhere else??  You've got a guy in your backyard with the local L10 connections and has been successful at every level he was at.  We often talk about a pipeline for player development, but giving local coaches a chance is just as important, but if they never get a shot...........

1 hour ago, ATM said:

Going to predict Halifax will have a high percentage of players from Vaughan and York Region.

A lot of coaches for better or worse bring in players they are familiar with.   When TFC went through the revolving door of coaches, we had the Dutch contingent, the East European contingent and the American contingent and if Bobby goes to CF Montreal we may see a few more CPL players there.  Nancy to Columbus, more Canadians there.

I've been thinking about the signing since the announcement. At first I was pretty hesitant but then I think about Bobby and Tommy and how they are the two most successful CPL coaches, and where they came from. 

I like what I've heard from. Gheiser so far. I like his record over the past few seasons. That is hard to accomish in any league and I think shows a real knowledge of man-management and ability to get player buyin. 

I'm on board to give this a try. Hope he brings in a couple of studs from his recent team. Very curious what roster moves he makes. I'm still gutted over JGL.

So based on the above video I think we can indeed assume that at least those 3 are returning. 

With that in mind, any roster speculation? With the coach question answered the next big news will be who is staying and who is moving on. 

We know several players are signed until 2023, and we've heard of several leaving. Here are my wild predictions (unless I've missed some news along the way): 

Staying

Contract to '23: Morelli, Campagna, Daniels, Mwandwe, Amla, Marshall 

Executed Options or Renewing: Rampersad, Salter, Polisi, Santos, Schaale, Omar, Fernandez

Leaving

Confirmed or Rumored: Baskett, Lamothe, Gagnon-Lapare, Garcia

Declining Options / Not Renewing: Oxner, Ruby, Bent, Escobar, Gagan, Nouajaa, Samb, Tabi

Also I have to say I'm still sad Gagnon-Lapare is where he is on my list. 

Edited by Copes

On 11/30/2022 at 7:59 PM, ATM said:

Going to predict Halifax will have a high percentage of players from Vaughan and York Region.

Maybe some of them ooze out of the woodwork like Daniel Cramarossa, Daniel Gogarty... was Brandon John a Gheisar boy? and of course, all agented by Dylan Carreiro.

It will be fun to see how much of his pipeline, old and new goes with.

3 minutes ago, Copes said:

Woah, Schaale is the big surprise to me. I think he’ll be a hot commodity elsewhere in the CPL if he doesn’t return to Europe. 

The Timoteo option is super interesting. A midfield with Timoteo, Daniels and Omar (if they can get back to form) sounds like a lot of fun.

Morelli, Salter, and Mwandwe is a strong attacking core if you can get them healthy at the same time. 

it’s going to be most interesting to see how they build out the backline with Campagna and Fernandez as the focal pieces.

5 hours ago, Copes said:

Here are my surprises:

• No Baskett, I understood there were off field issues but I thought he played well enough that this would be left in the past under a new coach.
  • Daniels, things went so poorly with him last year I figured his option wouldn’t be exercised or he'd be looking for something completely different... perhaps Gheisar is the difference.
  • Santos, I thought he played considerably well last year and improved over 2021.  With Campagna in the mix I guess he was expendable.

I'm not sure how I feel about Amla... love the size, hopefully he has a great year.  Every appearance last year didn't amount to much, could have just been the teams general inept attack that was the issue though.

Edited by Lurker