Vancouver Whitecaps - 2023 Season Thread

MM3/MM2/MM

3 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I'd have to see the numbers, but it's probably a good extension.

Does this player have any path to playing for Canada (should he be wanted) given that he has been here for some years and will be here for three more? I suppose that he would want to apply for permanent residency and acquire a Canadian passport. Just wondering.

1 hour ago, Stoppage Time said:

Does this player have any path to playing for Canada (should he be wanted) given that he has been here for some years and will be here for three more? I suppose that he would want to apply for permanent residency and acquire a Canadian passport. Just wondering.

He has suited up for Serbia twice, most recently in a friendly against the US in January. 

I think the acquistions of the two Canadians are very good but supporters need to remember that the team will be on the road, a lot, during this final stretch of the regular season, so the notion that the playoffs are a given needs to have a reality check.  I think it will (as it always seems) come down to the last game or two of the season.

15 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Boy, I'm going to be interested to see how many of these deals get across the finish line.

Extraordinary there's a club named in honour of Steven Biko.

He's a tall CB. I just looked at his agent and it's the same as Ranko's.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/spocs-global-sports/beraterfirma/berater/728

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

11 minutes ago, Soro17 said:

Yet I feel Gressel was the most replaceable of their key players. They didn't look like they missed him too much when he was gone with the US.  

I would say this was more a quirk of the schedule. I'm a big Adekugbe fan and don't mind Laryea, but Gressel is still the better player.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

I would say this was more a quirk of the schedule. I'm a big Adekugbe fan and don't mind Laryea, but Gressel is still the better player.

Gressel delivers a good cross and is maybe a better overall passer, but that would be as far as I would go over the other two IMHO.

Gressel was the first half of the season team MVP, especially as Gauld wasn't clicking at that time.  But he has been used more centrally for the Caps, which I was quite skeptical about to start the year, but he has done quite well with it.  The irony is that when playing in his early years' position of strength for the USNT's interim managers (wide right player, winger or wingback), I don't think he was particularly good, including being rather anonymous in his GC start against us.  His advantage over the new Canuck arrivals is his dead ball service.

15 hours ago, masster said:

Yes. Outside of the DPs, Gressel was the Whitecaps best player.

Okay, you Caps fans that watched Gressel more than I would know I guess.  But Laryea was absolutely dominant for TFC, and their best player by far.  They have completely gone in the tank without him.  I guess we'll see if he can change your mind.

2 hours ago, Ivan said:

Okay, you Caps fans that watched Gressel more than I would know I guess.  But Laryea was absolutely dominant for TFC, and their best player by far.  They have completely gone in the tank without him.  I guess we'll see if he can change your mind.

I haven't read or seen any Whitecaps fans unhappy with the Laryea acquisition. 

33 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Didn't think that is what we were debating, but regardless, glad to hear it.

I guess technically it wasn't. I just wanted to state that while I think most Whitecaps fans think Gressel is better (and in contention for the team's MVP if he hadnt left), everyone seems quite happy with the arrival of Laryea.

And I suspect everyone thinks Adekugbe is an upgrade on Martins.