Vancouver Whitecaps - 2023 Season Thread

MM3/MM2/MM

Just now, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Caps have officially rounded the corner and are proving that they are for real. No, they are not the finished product quite yet. They blew a lead vs. Seattle and almost blew the game vs a 10-man LA, which suggests to me the guys still got some learnin' to do.  They need to kill off games, tidy up their play, understand what it takes to control a game when they are up.  Like Canada in the Gold Cup, there are still far too many self-inflicted errors.  But the team IS growing and growing, and if they can keep learning, stay humble, and work their asses off, I could see a top four finish for them in the western standings.  It is a relatively young team, which bodes well for the future.

One strong sign is starting games well, intensely. Scoring early. Making it far easier on themselves.

Also a bit more possession, a few more attacking options with White picking up after a mediocre season last. A clearly better keeper.

I think Sartini deserves credit. He bugs me, but he's sound on a lot of levels.

The only piece missing is to be a bit better away, not to throw so many away so easily.

13 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

One strong sign is starting games well, intensely. Scoring early. Making it far easier on themselves.

They impose themselves much better from the start and their midfield is very good at intercepting passes between the lines if teams try to methodically build up from the back.  

The three-in-the-back is still vulnerable to being exposed to long, crossfield diagonal balls played to wingers in space (i.e. Chu for Seattle), so I think this continues to be the Achilles heel for the team based on the personnel available back there.

They are a playoff team, but the keeper will need to help steal a game while Real Captain Gauld and Cubas bringing their A games will help make the rest of the squad a tough out.

27 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think Sartini deserves credit. He bugs me, but he's sound on a lot of levels.

The only piece missing is to be a bit better away, not to throw so many away so easily.

But some of that is on Sartini.  He'll roll out formations or tactics ill suited for the road or the opponent they're facing.

17 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The only piece missing is to be a bit better away

A bit better?  They have to be a lot better.

The Caps are 7-2-4 at home.  A good record.  But they're 1-5-3 on the road.  Dismal.

They have twelve games left in the season - eight(!) of which are on the road.

They're currently in seventh place in the West.  I hope they make the playoffs.  But I'm not as optimistic as some here.  Their road performance will, I fear, drag them down below the playoff line.

1 hour ago, Goal_Kick said:

The Caps are 7-2-4 at home.  A good record.  But they're 1-5-3 on the road.  Dismal.

They're currently in seventh place in the West.  I hope they make the playoffs.  But I'm not as optimistic as some here.  Their road performance will, I fear, drag them down below the playoff line.

Nothing gets you better prepared for playoff battles than 8 changes to learn how to play good defense. All eyes are on Sartini over the next 12 games.

5 hours ago, Goal_Kick said:

I agree. I guess I said that because from what I recall, they were even worse away last season. But maybe I'm wrong.

15 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

They were 2 wins, 11 loses, and 4 draws on the road last year.

So I wasn't far off, thanks. Though I think that technically a lot of home games were also played away due to Covid, so maybe it's not the best comparison. 

What gets me is they have no fight at all, what gives? It is not like home support is so fantastic that they really feel it away, they play at home to lots of empty seats and a relatively cool crowd overall.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

24 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So I wasn't far off, thanks. Though I think that technically a lot of home games were also played away due to Covid, so maybe it's not the best comparison. 

What gets me is they have no fight at all, what gives? It is not like home support is so fantastic that they really feel it away, they play at home to lots of empty seats and a relatively cool crowd overall.

No "home" games were played away last year - that was 2021.  MLS does have an abnormally high "home win" rate across the league, not just the Whitecaps.  I'll assume some of that is travel, climate, etc.  But for the Whitecaps, so much of it really is just naïve management from Vanni.  He constantly seems caught off guard that a team would play differently at home than away, that when they're at home they're going to attack much more vigorously than when they're on the road. 

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

No "home" games were played away last year - that was 2021.  MLS does have an abnormally high "home win" rate across the league, not just the Whitecaps.  I'll assume some of that is travel, climate, etc.  But for the Whitecaps, so much of it really is just naïve management from Vanni.  He constantly seems caught off guard that a team would play differently at home than away, that when they're at home they're going to attack much more vigorously than when they're on the road. 

Thanks, that is an interesting observation. It is basically the difference between the top in MLS and the top elsewhere, as you say, and here I am surmising: normally the best team gets away results readily, has a winning record home and away. When an MLS team regularly figures that out, then we'll see a dynasty.

• 2 weeks later...