Vancouver Whitecaps - 2023 Season Thread

MM3/MM2/MM

8 hours ago, masster said:

Noticed the match was on the radio on CKNW last night. Was that the first time?

Better coverage for the Caps if true (although I don't know if CKNW carries the same cache as it used to).

I think it was on once before, but the reason is because there was a Lions game on 730am that overlapped. I've heard CKNW does a morning segment with Vanni once a week, but I've never listened.

Stop the presses!  Vancouver wins back to back away games!

Given that they've only won one away game this season prior to this, it's noteworthy.

Given their dismal away record, I thought their playoff chances were slim going into this seven game extended road trip.  But now that they've got the first two under their belt, let's look at the remaining five games:

They play NYFC, Toronto and Colorado - all winnable games.  They also play Houston and Salt Lake which may be more problematical.   But if they can come away with eight or nine points from these five away games, they should still be in a playoff position at the end of it.

They then have a rough four games to end the season - against DC, St Louis, Seattle (away) and LAFC.

So it's still a tough row to hoe.  But at least they're showing some spirit.

Whitecaps mostly going through the motions. The defensive work is solid. The attacking intensity is lacking.

Laborda was poor first half and v weak on the NYC goal, but Adekugbe hasn't been helping back there much either. Caps a bit lucky to get that penalty call.

With 30 min left a third away win in a row is very possible.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Just now, Unnamed Trialist said:

Whitecaps mostly going through the motions. The defensive work is solid. The attacking intensity is lacking.

Laborda was poor first half and v weak on the NYC goal, but Adekugbe hasn't been helping back there much either. Caps a bit lucky to get that penalty call.

It definitely looks like their 3rd game in 7 days while going coast to coast.  I'd take a draw here, if they can hold on.  Not sure they can though.

The captain, Gauld, rightly gets the kudos for his leadership and performance.  He is what a DP should be:  a tide that rises the other boats.  No drama:  just leads by example.  I have always been a big Cubas fan, too.  These two players are surefire starters on any team in this league.

What has really been noticeable to me is the contributions of guys like Schöpf, Vite, Berhalter, Raposo, Ahmed, all playing their part.  Laryea is a massive pick up for this stretch run and will further enhance his cv. Adekugbe will get his sea legs as is he is still in early Euro season mode 

This is looking like a team peaking at the right time and will be a tough out.  Lots to like here

20 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

The captain, Gauld, rightly gets the kudos for his leadership and performance.  He is what a DP should be:  a tide that rises the other boats.  No drama:  just leads by example.  I have always been a big Cubas fan, too.  These two players are surefire starters on any team in this league.

What has really been noticeable to me is the contributions of guys like Schöpf, Vite, Berhalter, Raposo, Ahmed, all playing their part.  Laryea is a massive pick up for this stretch run and will further enhance his cv. Adekugbe will get his sea legs as is he is still in early Euro season mode 

This is looking like a team peaking at the right time and will be a tough out.  Lots to like here

I am greedy, I wanted the win vs. NYC as we'll need the points. And as Caps rise in the table we'll be played tougher, and that'll make things tougher. 

Our advantage with these away games is we have a decent counter attack. As rivals, many lower in the table, need points, they'll come at us, we can exploit that in a lot of ways. We almost did vs. a NYC that was frustrated and going for the win late.

In any case, last year and this, our road record is poor. This is the critical moment in the season to redress that.

My take on LAFC -Inter: good to see our conference rivals lose. I enjoy seeing the Inter show go well, but I am not a Miami fan, in any sport, and frankly just I'd love to see them beat Western Conference teams, helping Caps, and still miss the playoffs. 

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Our advantage with these away games is we have a decent counter attack. As rivals, many lower in the table, need points, they'll come at us, we can exploit that in a lot of ways. We almost did vs. a NYC that was frustrated and going for the win late.

I agree. We are quite good against teams that like to build on the deck from the back and then pressure to get that errant pass/possession midfield turnover.  However, I still think they are quite vulnerable to that long diagonal ball to the flanks when the wingbacks are pushed high.  They haven't played a team that uses that effectively like Seattle did at BC Place awhile back or SKC in the past.  I would not be surprised to see more of that employed by future opponents, especially down their left/Caps' right, where Laryea has been very aggressively advanced but with the question marks of Brown and Laborda sharing that back line side behind him.

5 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I agree. We are quite good against teams that like to build on the deck from the back and then pressure to get that errant pass/possession midfield turnover.  However, I still think they are quite vulnerable to that long diagonal ball to the flanks when the wingbacks are pushed high.  They haven't played a team that uses that effectively like Seattle did at BC Place awhile back or SKC in the past.  I would not be surprised to see more of that employed by future opponents, especially down their left/Caps' right, where Laryea has been very aggressively advanced but with the question marks of Brown and Laborda sharing that back line side behind him.

Laborda is weak link imo, disappointing player.