Vancouver Whitecaps - 2023 Season Thread

MM3/MM2/MM

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

And I suspect everyone thinks Adekugbe is an upgrade on Martins.

Is Adekugbe going to be used on the left in the back three?  Because that's where Martins is pretty well being used right now.  I hope that is not the plan and that he is actually being used at LWB, where he is a clear upgrade on the other incumbents who have played there.

3 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Is Adekugbe going to be used on the left in the back three?  Because that's where Martins is pretty well being used right now.  I hope that is not the plan and that he is actually being used at LWB, where he is a clear upgrade on the other incumbents who have played there.

Martins was really only there because of the Blackmon injury. Think the actual plan is along the lines of Adekugbe-Blackmon-Veselinovic-Brown/Laborda-Laryea, with a center back being dropped it it's a back four.

4 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Martins was really only there because of the Blackmon injury. Think the actual plan is along the lines of Adekugbe-Blackmon-Veselinovic-Brown/Laborda-Laryea, with a center back being dropped it it's a back four.

Yes.  I think incumbents Raposo and Johnson's time will be curtailed, though the latter has shown some shake 'n bake as winger.

Just now, BearcatSA said:

Yes.  I think incumbents Raposo and Johnson's time will be curtailed, though the latter has shown some shake 'n bake as winger.

I think Johnson needs to be used further up the pitch. He's not a wing back. I think Raposo is going to be the new Teibert: he some how keeps getting playing time even though he shouldn't.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

I think Johnson needs to be used further up the pitch. He's not a wing back. I think Raposo is going to be the new Teibert: he some how keeps getting playing time even though he shouldn't.

I agree, but while White and DP Cordova are here, now and beyond, that won't likely happen.  They like Becher as a sniffer/poacher off the bench, too.

Vanni is a complete goof. I heard his audio post game saying he loved what Tigres goalie did. He said he even went over and told him that he loved it. I would fire my coach if he said this.

1) Your team is eliminated from competition on the back of some questionable antics by the other team and your immediate reaction is you loved it?

2) how does a serious adult find that amusing? What a total weirdo. How do you not have more common sense but to keep that to yourself?

I really can't believe there wasn't more made of the Tigres goalie's antics and now Vannis comments 

15 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Vanni is a complete goof. I heard his audio post game saying he loved what Tigres goalie did. He said he even went over and told him that he loved it. I would fire my coach if he said this.

1) Your team is eliminated from competition on the back of some questionable antics by the other team and your immediate reaction is you loved it?

2) how does a serious adult find that amusing? What a total weirdo. How do you not have more common sense but to keep that to yourself?

I really can't believe there wasn't more made of the Tigres goalie's antics and now Vannis comments 

What's questionable is arguing they were eliminated "on the back of some questionable antics". They drew two matches vs tough LigaMX teams and in both penalty rounds you could argue the real problem was that the Caps keeper has no skill whatsoever in stopping them. 

Never mind that penalty round losses should never be cause for major recriminations.

Tigres has the second highest Transfermarkt value in the entire tournament, Club León is 9th, Vancouver is 26th. We did very well.

In any case, I suppose for you we won women's gold in Tokyo on the back of Labbé's questionable antics.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

13 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

What's questionable is arguing they were eliminated "on the back of some questionable antics". They drew two matches vs tough LigaMX teams and in both penalty rounds you could argue the real problem was that the Caps keeper has no skill whatsoever in stopping them. 

Never mind that penalty round losses should never be cause for major recriminations.

Tigres has the second highest Transfermarkt value in the entire tournament, Club León is 9th, Vancouver is 26th. We did very well.

In any case, I suppose for you we won women's gold in Tokyo on the back of Labbé's questionable antics.

The LotG require that the goalkeeper maintain at least one foot within the plane of the goal line until the ball is kicked. There's nothing that says that he can't Vogue with his hands to his heart's content while doing so. Nothing questionable about the goalkeeper's behaviour. The 'Caps players' inability to laugh at him while knocking the ball past him on the other hand.....

23 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The penalties vs Leon went 19 rounds and the only missed shot by the Whitecaps vs Tigres was by a central defender, so I'm not sure the LigaMX sides had great stopping skills either.  My actual complaint about the shoot out was Vanni's questionable decisions on who shot: Martins x2 vs Leon (missed both) and Veselinovic vs Tigres. Against Leon I thought Veselinovic looked very calm taking them (he took two and made them both) but they weren't great shots.

3 hours ago, Watchmen said:

The penalties vs Leon went 19 rounds and the only missed shot by the Whitecaps vs Tigres was by a central defender, so I'm not sure the LigaMX sides had great stopping skills either.  My actual complaint about the shoot out was Vanni's questionable decisions on who shot: Martins x2 vs Leon (missed both) and Veselinovic vs Tigres. Against Leon I thought Veselinovic looked very calm taking them (he took two and made them both) but they weren't great shots.

What other options were for the two shots Martins took? Wasn't he last before the keepers (or close)?

Just now, PastPros said:

What other options were for the two shots Martins took? Wasn't he last before the keepers (or close)?

No. He was included in the initial 5 shooters. Then after they went through the entire roster, he was selected to shoot again before a few other players who had made their shots.

FYI, the last shooter before the keeper was Teibert.

31 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

@Watchmen I think by the time you are 14 you should know how to shoot a penalty kick.

In any case, drawing two of the top 10 most valuable teams in the region is not bad at all. We were competitive. I'd say we were really outplayed by Galaxy but won against the flow down there.

Oh, my complaints are minor. Both home games were incredibly enjoyable and there's no shame in drawing both sides. I simply thought some of the decisions for shooters were a bit odd, but I'd rather they found that out now then when it potentially matters more in the MLS playoffs.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

Massive missed opportunities by the Whitecaps. San Jose is a bad road team and were only 1 point ahead in the standings. On the road for 7 games now.

Bloody Vanni, that line-up is what he puts on the field after 3 weeks off? With 7 straight road matches coming up, it was essentially a must-win. How is it that Messi can come in and play 5 matches in 2 weeks, but Richie and Adekugbe can only manage 45 minutes after training with the team for 3 weeks? 

19 minutes ago, Soro17 said:

Bloody Vanni, that line-up is what he puts on the field after 3 weeks off? With 7 straight road matches coming up, it was essentially a must-win. How is it that Messi can come in and play 5 matches in 2 weeks, but Richie and Adekugbe can only manage 45 minutes after training with the team for 3 weeks? 

And one subbed on for the other.

50 minutes ago, Soro17 said:

The Whitecaps were off for closer to 2 weeks than 3 (since they advanced past the group). Gauld carrying an injury. But Richie looked good and should have stayed on. I think he subbed Sam in at the half because he didn't want to use a substitution window too early, but that goes back to most people's biggest complaints about Vanni: his in game management is poor. Laryea was playing well and could have gone another 15 for sure, then you look to put Sam in.

6 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

They need to ditch Vanni. He's not a winner. You can tell he's satisfied with being mediocre and being silly. This market needs a coach who values winning and doesn't accept losing so easily 

I've been out of the loop with the Whitecaps the last decade but where did they find him? Was he out front of BC Place selling game programmes, and they hired him because they liked his accent?