Vancouver Whitecaps - 2023 Season Thread

MM3/MM2/MM

11 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Didn't watch. What happened? Any concerns or just the gameday circumstances?

First goal was a deflection off the wall on a free kick. Second goal was a lot of standing and watching. After that it just sort of got away from them. The kind of result that happens for a game #5 on the road and midweek.  Write it off and move on. Only concern is the number of guys maybe dealing with minor injuries.

I brought it up in Laryea's thread, but I see Whitecaps blogger Russell Berrisford also brought it up and summarized it better: "And Richie Laryea may have moved from “needs time to bed in” to “isn’t that good as an attacking threat”. Certainly not for a team that had grown used to Gressel’s confident and early delivery into the box."

23 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I brought it up in Laryea's thread, but I see Whitecaps blogger Russell Berrisford also brought it up and summarized it better: "And Richie Laryea may have moved from “needs time to bed in” to “isn’t that good as an attacking threat”. Certainly not for a team that had grown used to Gressel’s confident and early delivery into the box."

To be fair these guys haven't even played a home game yet. A lot of time traveling. You can't expect them to perform until you spend a week at home (I suspect hotels for Sam, Junior and Richie) and train daily working on how to fit in.

That's my attempt at a generous, optimistic post, wasn't easy.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

To be fair these guys haven't even played a home game yet. A lot of time traveling. You can't expect them to perform until you spend a week at home (I suspect hotels for Sam, Junior and Richie) and train daily working on how to fit in.

That's my attempt at a generous, optimistic post, wasn't easy.

I'm more forgiving of Sam and Junior, who weren't playing before the games. Laryea's fitness isn't an issue, he just doesn't seem to be meshing with his teammates. And certainly, it takes time. I just think he's had that time and it's not improving. I'll grant you the travel and less practice time might be a factor.

3 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Feel that Sartini will start going with Ahmed over Richie if the latter doesn't start positively impacting games soon. He had several terrible give-aways last game, all of which were unnecessary. Sloppy stuff. 

Firstly, Ahmed won't be at wingback.  He is in that central midfield three rotation. Secondly, I highly doubt Schuster benches such a key acquisition.  Hell, when Cordova was healthy, they kept playing him when he was out of form.  Meritocacy rules have exceptions in the eyes of some TDs/coaches.  

I'd be more concerned about not having a trusted back up keeper to give the out of form Takaoka a night off to watch, reflect and re-focus.  

Once again the Caps take a lead in a game (twice, in fact) and can't hold onto it.

Still, they've got a five point lead over both 10th place Kansas and 11th place Minnesota with a game in hand on both.  So they should make it into the playoffs, even if its one of the 8th or 9th place play-in teams.

But this inablility to hold onto a lead doesn't fill one with confidence that they're going to do anything in the playoffs once they get there.

I personally don't go much anymore because there are too many political banners in the Southside and the stadium. Not really my thing. It doesnt feel welcoming. Canadians dont really speak up because they dont like to be disruptive but i know other people that dont like the vibe. Its also just really tough getting in and out of downtown Vancouver. 

Edited by SpursFlu

1 hour ago, PegCityCam said:

Why are their attendance numbers so shit? Watching these games on TV is pretty sad to be honest. You'd think with the Canadian chip this year, the better play and results and the influx of Canadian nats things would change. 

Because Canadian nationals don't actually move the needle. It's a mid-week game, which always draws poorly. They lost a segment of fans over the years by being truly awful and cheap, and those fans distrust short-term results. Disposable income is less available. 

And no, VFC hasn't really impacted them.

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

I personally don't go much anymore because there are too many political banners in the Southside and the stadium. Not really my thing. It doesnt feel welcoming. Canadians dont really speak up because they dont like to be disruptive but i know other people that dont like the vibe. Its also just really tough getting in and out of downtown Vancouver. 

Haven't been myself for ages, tbh. Curious what politics you are speaking about, though. I thought the supporters sections were, generally speaking, getting more inclusive (and by definition welcoming), not less. In Vancouver and elsewhere.

The old stereotypical supporter image at most football clubs was white heterosexual men, 18-50. Times have mostly changed, though, as I see people of all walks of life, gender, age, ethnicity, abilities, out at most matches these days.

Genuinely curious now, though.

53 minutes ago, nolando said:

Haven't been myself for ages, tbh. Curious what politics you are speaking about, though. I thought the supporters sections were, generally speaking, getting more inclusive (and by definition welcoming), not less. In Vancouver and elsewhere.

The old stereotypical supporter image at most football clubs was white heterosexual men, 18-50. Times have mostly changed, though, as I see people of all walks of life, gender, age, ethnicity, abilities, out at most matches these days.

For some, being inclusive is confronting / political. 

53 minutes ago, saladroit said:

considering that the only remotely "political" banners/flags at caps games are pride flags/symbols, "political banners" is a pretty obvious dogwhistle lol

Most CanPL fan groups regularly display pride flags/symbols prominently as well, so that isn't just a Whitecaps or MLS fan culture thing in Canadian soccer terms. Maybe Vancouver FC have been an exception on that though? 

2 hours ago, saladroit said:

considering that the only remotely "political" banners/flags at caps games are pride flags/symbols, "political banners" is a pretty obvious dogwhistle lol

Not true.

There are Pro Choice banners as well as residential school related stuff in addition to pride. And those are only the ones I have noticed. I have no idea what any of these causes or issues have to do with either the Whitecaps or soccer, but they are hung at every game.

When I used to be involved in the supporters groups, the MLS supporters code of conduct was clear that banners, flags, tifo, etc were to be free from political messaging. Not sure what happened to this.

Unlike @SpursFlu I don't believe this has had any real impact on attendance whatsoever.

3 hours ago, nolando said:

You are correct. When I was involved with Curva Collective, it was obvious that there were individuals of all walks of life, gender, age, ethnicity...as you mentioned...as well as political persuasion.

So my feeling was, in order to be as welcoming as possible, leave all the political stuff outside the group. My goal was for the group to focus on the one and only thing that actually united all of these different people...the Whitecaps.