Windsor CPL Club

Watchmen

On 1/13/2022 at 8:58 PM, Kent said:

Do you mean "One Soccer Today"?

No it's Soccer Today.  Podcast with Duane Rollins and Kevin Laramee

Edit-Sorry saw someone already pointed you in the right direction.  I forgot to read everything before replying right away lol

Edited by Rheo

So I've started up a Windsor CPL podcast.  Just a trailer but has the links.  Going to be every couple of weeks, going over the latest news for the Windsor expansion bid.  Also covering the bigger league news. Interviews to come hopefully.  First real episode will be up in a day or two.

Spotify-

Anchor-https://anchor.fm/mike-whaley

RSS-https://anchor.fm/s/7e26d684/podcast/rss

Will be up on Google and Apple shortly.

On 1/12/2022 at 8:42 AM, archer21 said:

It’s not ideal certainly. Only 2000 seat stadium and its artificial turf with football lines as has been mentioned. St Clair college also just built a stadium but they have the same problems, and only 1500 capacity. There really isn’t anything currently that’s soccer specific with even close to the capacity that is needed if we’re talking about having 5000+ spectators. 

Funny thing about St.Clair college is that they built this 1500 seat stadium with money from the alumni specifically for football. However, St. Clair does not have a football team . There is no college football in Ontario. St. Clair college does have a college soccer team though that uses this new stadium . However, the alumni didn’t build the stadium for the soccer team but for an outside  pointy ball U21 football team that plays in an Ontario Junior pointy ball football league. The St. Clair college alumni basically funds this football team and built them a stadium , therefore, the reason this stadium has permanent football lines. It just goes to show how low soccer is on the totem pole still in Canada . You have a college that has had a soccer team for who knows how long , but no football team, however the school alumni builds a stadium for an outside club football team on their land as the main tenants and basically makes their soccer team a secondary tenant in a new stadium. We have all these kids that play organized soccer which last I heard was second only to hockey in terms of youth registration , however , a college with no football team goes out and funds a new stadium for an outside football team to play there . 

26 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Funny thing about St.Clair college is that they built this 1500 seat stadium with money from the alumni specifically for football. However, St. Clair does not have a football team . There is no college football in Ontario. St. Clair college does have a college soccer team though that uses this new stadium . However, the alumni didn’t build the stadium for the soccer team but for an outside  pointy ball U21 football team that plays in an Ontario Junior pointy ball football league. The St. Clair college alumni basically funds this football team and built them a stadium , therefore, the reason this stadium has permanent football lines. It just goes to show how low soccer is on the totem pole still in Canada . You have a college that has had a soccer team for who knows how long , but no football team, however the school alumni builds a stadium for an outside club football team on their land as the main tenants and basically makes their soccer team a secondary tenant in a new stadium. We have all these kids that play organized soccer which last I heard was second only to hockey in terms of youth registration , however , a college with no football team goes out and funds a new stadium for an outside football team to play there . 

From what I understand, the student alliance at the college bought the football team. So they not only fund it, they own it. The soccer teams play there as well and have their own locker rooms and everything so it’s not like they’re pushed out. You’re probably right though that without the football team, there wouldn’t be a stadium.

9 minutes ago, archer21 said:

From what I understand, the student alliance at the college bought the football team. So they not only fund it, they own it. The soccer teams play there as well and have their own locker rooms and everything so it’s not like they’re pushed out. You’re probably right though that without the football team, there wouldn’t be a stadium.

Sorry your right I meant the student alliance not alumni. Probably would have made more sense for this student alliance to buy a League 1 Ontario soccer team seeing that the college actually has a soccer team and some how tie it into the college soccer team. I’ll just make a pretty good assumption that in the Windsor area youth soccer registration is much much higher than youth football registration probably it’s not even close . 

4 hours ago, SoccMan said:

We have all these kids that play organized soccer which last I heard was second only to hockey in terms of youth registration

I guess the last time you heard was before the mid 1990's. Soccer has been number 1 since sometime in the 90's.

10 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Sorry your right I meant the student alliance not alumni. Probably would have made more sense for this student alliance to buy a League 1 Ontario soccer team seeing that the college actually has a soccer team and some how tie it into the college soccer team. I’ll just make a pretty good assumption that in the Windsor area youth soccer registration is much much higher than youth football registration probably it’s not even close . 

The college has a lot of money suddenly because they’ve started a big exchange program. Like half of the campus is foreign exchange students, paying huge international fees. The extra money they have probably had as much to do with building the stadium as anything. Hey also built a new stadium for the softball team.

I believe they thought of the football team as a way of recruitment. Both of football players, and as a way of creating some buzz and giving the students an event to go to. Not sure it was the greatest idea, because it’s not like the football games all sold out. And I doubt any foreign students care whether the school has a football team or not.

The first episode of the Windsor CanPL podcast is live. We go over what we actually know right now about the potential CPL team to Windsor, talk about where we think a soccer stadium might go and where we'd like it to be and end up with some CPL news. Now available on Google, Apple, Spotify and wherever you get your podcasts.

54 minutes ago, Rheo said:
The first episode of the Windsor CanPL podcast is live. We go over what we actually know right now about the potential CPL team to Windsor, talk about where we think a soccer stadium might go and where we'd like it to be and end up with some CPL news. Now available on Google, Apple, Spotify and wherever you get your podcasts.

And ... this episode isn't just dead air, right?    I kid. I kid. 🤣

2 hours ago, Rheo said:

I didnt find it on google podcast. Are you sure it is available?

• 2 weeks later...

A suitable stadium is needed. Joe Belan actively pursued that in both Regina (a downsized Taylor Field) and Saskatoon (a downtown SSS at an old railyard) in a manner that was visible in mainstream media terms before he got ditched for LSSE and Prairieland became the main focus. If the Windsor thing is serious we'll see something similar unfold. 2024 is not that far away in terms of the timeline needed to make something like that happen.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

Back in 2018 I was ridiculed on here for posting about the information that was very much in the public domain that pointed strongly towards the league launching with a 750k salary cap, probably with fewer than 8 clubs rather than the 8-10 range that was being mentioned in league press releases, and with "Port City" winding up in the Greater Victoria area, if they emerged at all in time for that.

Why does the available information not look too promising in a Windsor expansion context at the moment? When provisional expansion to Saskatoon was announced there was a credible local investor group in place with a clear stadium plan that had strong local municipal support. In comparison with that, does David Clanachan as a former Tim Hortons paid employee have the net worth needed to launch a CanPL club and, if not, does he have a partner or partners who do? Is there a viable stadium project in the pipeline given none of the existing ones are close to being fit for purpose? Does said stadium project have the backing of local politicians?

For 2024 to be credible as a timeline, the answers to those questions could reasonably be expected to be as clear by now as they are in Saskatoon. Instead, what did emerge last week is that the role of David Clanachan as league commissioner is not going to be directly replaced and that the league is restructuring so that the overall leadership of CSB and CanPL is more streamlined in future, with a committee of league investor representatives now apparently having a stronger role than was the case previously. That tilts the information that is in the public domain more towards the face saving exit explanation for why the announcement was made.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

4 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Back in 2018 I was ridiculed on here for posting about the information that was very much in the public domain that pointed strongly towards the league launching with a 750k salary cap, probably with fewer than 8 clubs rather than the 8-10 range that was being mentioned in league press releases, and with "Port City" winding up in the Greater Victoria area, if they emerged at all in time for that.

Why does the available information not look too promising in a Windsor expansion context at the moment? When provisional expansion to Saskatoon was announced there was a credible local investor group in place with a clear stadium plan that had strong local municipal support. In comparison with that, does David Clanachan as a former Tim Hortons paid employee have the net worth needed to launch a CanPL club and, if not, does he have a partner or partners who do? Is there a viable stadium project in the pipeline given none of the existing ones are close to being fit for purpose? Does said stadium project have the backing of local politicians?

For 2024 to be credible as a timeline, the answers to those questions could reasonably be expected to be as clear by now as they are in Saskatoon. Instead, what did emerge last week is that the role of David Clanachan as league commissioner is not going to be directly replaced and that the league is restructuring so that the overall leadership of CSB and CanPL is more streamlined in future, with a committee of league investor representatives now apparently having a stronger role than was the case previously. That tilts the information that is in the public domain more towards the face saving exit explanation for why the announcement was made.

Does it...does it really? Btw the drivel you just spewed on this forum page is not an explanation but merely speculation. And that would be ok if presented as such but you have a way of turning your nose down at others and their views that irks so many of us here. I wouldn't hazzard a guess whether that would be a majority of people or not that share my opinion but I believe that you've been ridiculed long before 2018 and it's pretty apparent why. Simply put...you are the hugest douchebag on this board.