Windsor CPL Club

Watchmen

1 hour ago, masster said:

How is the location of Windsor Stadium? Doesn't look too far from the City Centre on Google Maps.

5-10 minute drive. Really nice location, big park beside it. Parking will be an issue for sure. Historic area that there has been a movement to try and revitalize the last few years.  The bandshell is right beside the stadium

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/jackson-park-bandshell-windsor-canopy-1.6196914

Mini documentary on it (starts at 8 minutes 24 seconds

https://gem.cbc.ca/media/absolutely-canadian/s21e09?fbclid=IwAR3jx5aniQFaKHEYbOYlKwqCRui40B-sW3OPw8YYTZFYloDup73DpotR2WE

Ok having reread the article my main takeaways

1-Official confirmation of Windsor Stadium as their preferred site

2-Drawings of what proposed upgrade would look like

3-Official confirmation of Vancho Cirovski as part of the David Clanachan group

4-Still looking at 2024-2026 start

5-They're talking about it for the first time since January.  Hopefully this is the second start at engagement and awareness in the area because it's been a long 4 months with no info (as has been noted on here and is valid)

Still lots to know but it's encouraging to see them back in the news.

13 minutes ago, narduch said:

Lol. Northern Tribune with some real detective work there. Basically only got the story because it was posted here

There was some background stuff that wasn’t in the article. To be fair I posted it to twitter first before it was posted here lol. All because a bar regular mentioned it to me lol

5 hours ago, narduch said:

Lol. Northern Tribune with some real detective work there. Basically only got the story because it was posted here

Yeah, I've seen Northern Tribune write multiple stories after things were posted here or reddit first, including some of the stuff I've posted. Still though, the more coverage about Canadian soccer, the better, even if it's just providing more of the same. More places = more eyes

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Around 6:00 they talk about where the next franchise will be. They mention the new Vancouver team and the Saskatoon team, but no mention of a Windsor team. Hoping they just didn’t mention them because it’s already been announced but that doesn’t really make sense with Van and Sask being mentioned.

On 8/19/2022 at 7:38 PM, archer21 said:

Around 6:00 they talk about where the next franchise will be. They mention the new Vancouver team and the Saskatoon team, but no mention of a Windsor team. Hoping they just didn’t mention them because it’s already been announced but that doesn’t really make sense with Van and Sask being mentioned.

Windsor hasn't been announced. When Clanachan left his Commissioner (or was it President? I forget now) job it was said that he was going to pursue getting a team in Windsor, but it wasn't said that there was definitely going to be a Windsor team. Saskatoon even isn't officially a club yet. Their announcement was that the ownership group has been approved the rights to a found a team in Saskatoon and/or Regina, but they didn't announce that the team exists yet.

45 minutes ago, Kent said:

Windsor hasn't been announced. When Clanachan left his Commissioner (or was it President? I forget now) job it was said that he was going to pursue getting a team in Windsor, but it wasn't said that there was definitely going to be a Windsor team. Saskatoon even isn't officially a club yet. Their announcement was that the ownership group has been approved the rights to a found a team in Saskatoon and/or Regina, but they didn't announce that the team exists yet.

That’s interesting to hear. Still though, you’d think they’d get a mention as a possible future team before Quebec who have had no talks of it at all. Even London gets a mention and I haven’t heard anything about them being a prospective team (though I do think they could support a team).

1 hour ago, archer21 said:

That’s interesting to hear. Still though, you’d think they’d get a mention as a possible future team before Quebec who have had no talks of it at all. Even London gets a mention and I haven’t heard anything about them being a prospective team (though I do think they could support a team).

That's fair. I just watched the video now and they seem to be answer the question like it's a wish list rather than the most likely teams.

But who knows how likely Windsor is at this point. If I'm not mistaken, Paul Beirne left the CPL a couple years back and was talking about pursuing a team (and hinting at Toronto). Nothing has come of that so far. I might have my facts wrong on this one, it might have just been a random tweet that got overanalyzed that I am remembering.

3 hours ago, archer21 said:

...Even London gets a mention and I haven’t heard anything about them being a prospective team (though I do think they could support a team).

Think if you went through the London Free press archives you would find it is in the public domain that CanPL representatives met the FC London ownernship pre-launch to explore the possibilities. Problem that was outlined in the Free Press is finding a suitable stadium. The FC London owner was hoping a parking lot close to the London Hydro building on Horton Street would be earmarked for a future stadium as part of a municipal plan. According to a guy on Reddit that turned out to be a non-starter because the land is badly contaminated in some way. Since then nothing AFAIA.

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Think if you went through the London Free press archives you would find it is in the public domain that CanPL representatives met the FC London ownernship pre-launch to explore the possibilities. Problem that was outlined in the Free Press is finding a suitable stadium. The FC London owner was hoping a parking lot close to the London Hydro building on Horton Street would be earmarked for a future stadium as part of a municipal plan. According to a guy on Reddit that turned out to be a non-starter because the land is badly contaminated in some way. Since then nothing AFAIA.

Probably the biggest issue for most cities to be honest. If the standard is it needs to be a soccer-specific stadium, it is a pretty big risk to put all that money forward. Hopefully more cities/owners get behind it.

• 1 month later...

https://windsorstar.com/news/local-news/dilkens-gill-commit-to-new-east-windsor-sports-turf?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1665830879

Mayor Drew Dilkens and Ward 7 Coun. Jeewen Gill joined forces in their re-election campaigns on Friday, promising to deliver a new sports turf they said could help Windsor land a top-tier professional soccer franchise....

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

This appears to be the location:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3180695,-82.9216488,886m/data=!3m1!1e3

it's close to the hockey arena where the Spitfires play rather than downtown, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing in a Windsor context.

Noteworthy aspects are the absence of anything from David Clanachan (or Rheo who briefly hosted a Windsor CanPL podcast) on this. The quotes are coming from the Windsor TFC owner Vancho Cirovski who runs the local L1O club. Also sounds like the city may only be providing a plot of land and a fieldturf type playing surface but everything else would potentially need to be done by the CanPL investor.

...The candidates said they will support the city moving ahead with planning, design and construction of new turf field space for football and soccer. They said the facility would expand access to local teams while helping attract regional and national tournaments to Windsor...

That's not anything even close to the Langford or Prairieland in Saskatoon scenarios in other words. Have a sneaking suspicion this might be more about the L1O team in the here and now but it's being spun as potentially being about CanPL down the road to make it sound more exciting to voters.

Don't think that's fully clear. Doubt either Cirovski or Clanachan are in the wealth league needed to backstop something like this financially. CanPL own L1O so having the local L1O owner around when announcing a conditional franchise was understandable enough. I'd been under the impression that it was more the old Windsor Stadium (see Mike Whaley tweet above) that Clanachan was thought to be angling for.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry all news to me.  Closed some tabs on my computer and haven't been here in a while.

Dilkens won the election (much to my chagrin lol) Gill lost.  No clue what the winner's view on this is but I'll be asking around to people more in touch with the local political landscape (not my ward)

To go over some of the questions here

-I've heard McHugh Park was the focus recently. Talked to my councilman one day (he's a huge footy fan) a month or so ago. Issue with Windsor Stadium is that it's owned by the school board and they're reluctant to put money in to refurbish it. Hence the apparent switch to McHugh. Sucks because it's not centrally located but the OHL team is out there as is a lot of people and a few smaller suburbs/communties.

-The article from Drive Magazine I posted before https://t.co/5fj5Mjw11K was the first time it was publically acknowledged that Vancho Cirovski was involved in the bid.

It's really been super quiet.  As I said in my last post on here the goal is for the team to start in 25 or 26 so it's not exactly a huge rush for publicity. 

Hopefully with the World Cup coming up they'll make some kind of appearance or push of info.  Windsor is getting one of the official Carlsberg Canada Soccer parties at the local footy bar as well as it hosting the Voyageur's watch parties and would be nice to see them make an appearance.

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies if this has been discussed, but isn't travel the Number 1 roadblock (over-and-above all of the other roadblocks)?

WestJet only flies seasonally from Windsor, and only to Calgary, and its 3 and a half hours to get to YYZ - that's a pretty brutal travel surtax.