Windsor CPL Club

Watchmen

Yeesssh.  During an era of 100% speculation on rumors about the nascent CPL many people thought the salary cap would be higher and a wide range of numbers were thrown out.  4-5 years later you are still starting every second post with "I was widely ridiculed by the usual suspects".  If you were ridiculed then it was for your constant negative posts about almost everything that was rumored about future CPL plans. 

The level of play has exceed most peoples expectations (beating MLS squads so soon and CONCACAF success) so every negative drumbeat from 5 years ago did not come true.  Bragging about the ones you were right about is just petty but very much in line with your "usual" posts.  

Personally I DO think there is a decent chance of the Windsor Clanachan thing being whatever the pro sports equivalent of "vaporware" is. But, the fact that there has been a month since he left his commissioner position doesn't strengthen that feeling. I have emails I've been meaning to respond to for longer than a month.

It's been 11 months since Saskatoon was announced and things don't seem any closer to reality now than they were back then, but I don't think that project is dead.

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Tigers said:

Ozzie, if you can go one full year year with bringing up how you were "ridiculed" / how you were "right" four years ago, I'll buy you a case of beer

Here's a youtube video that might enhance your understanding of soccer a bit:

If after watching that you refrain from complaining about diving on here for a year I'll buy you a box of Timbits.

Meanwhile back on topic let's compare and contrast Windsor with what is unfolding in the Fraser Valley. We already knew who the main investor was going to be and the probable stadium location in 2019 for what was strongly rumoured to be a 2021 launch before COVID got in the way. Neither of those things are clear yet in a Windsor context.

I'd very much like Windsor to happen as it would boost the probability that pro soccer happens again in a London, Ont context but podcast dude is going to need more to work with if he's going to have anything to talk about or it will soon be out in K/W expansion sort of territory.

Something that was briefly talked about a lot with quite a bit of active fan group interest on here but is now barely even mentioned because the people who had previously run the K-W United PDL team looked at it for a bit but couldn't sort out a suitable stadium location.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

13 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Here's a youtube video that might enhance your understanding of soccer a bit:

If after watching that you refrain from complaining about diving on here for a year I'll buy you a box of Timbits.

Meanwhile back on topic let's compare and contrast Windsor with what is unfolding in the Fraser Valley. We already knew who the main investor was going to be and the probable stadium location in 2019 for what was strongly rumoured to be a 2021 launch before COVID got in the way. Neither of those things are clear yet in a Windsor context.

I'd very much like Windsor to happen as it would boost the probability that pro soccer happens again in a London, Ont context but podcast dude is going to need more to work with if he's going to have anything to talk about or it will soon be out in K/W expansion sort of territory.

Something that was briefly talked about a lot with quite a bit of active fan group interest on here but is now barely even mentioned because the people who had previously run the K-W United PDL team looked at it for a bit but couldn't sort out a suitable stadium location.

The CPL could put a new London team in your backyard and you still wouldn't go to a game unless said team has some sort of an MLS/USSA affiliation. You know it...and so does everyone else on here.

• 1 month later...

I don't have a good sense of the Windsor market. But just curious from Windsorans/Windsorites(?) perspective, how likely is the population to support soccer when they have three of the big four sports easily accessible across the river? And for relatively low prices compared to many cities. Not to mention college sports events less than an hour's drive away. The season for football and hockey doesn't totally overlap, but it just seems to me it would be a tough market to attract the live sports viewing dollar. 

Edited by Cicero

12 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I don't have a good sense of the Windsor market. But just curious from Windsorans/Windsorites(?) perspective, how likely is the population to support soccer when they have three of the big four sports easily accessible across the river? And for relatively low prices compared to many cities. Not to mention college sports events less than an hour's drive away. The season for football and hockey doesn't totally overlap, but it just seems to me it would be a tough market to attract the live sports viewing dollar. 

One positive is that Detroit doesn't have an MLS team I guess 

2 hours ago, Cicero said:

... But just curious from Windsorans/Windsorites(?) perspective, how likely is the population to support soccer when they have three of the big four sports easily accessible across the river? ...

Plenty of support for the Spitfires in the OHL (compare and contrast with what happens in the outer sprawl of Toronto for that) and there was plenty of post-WWII immigration so the demographics that normally support soccer the most in a southern Ontario context is well represented. Having said that if they need 5000+ to make it work long term it's likely to be very challenging and will require someone who is willing to bleed a lot of cash for many years but that's true elsewhere as well.

I could see Windsor in a League 1 Canada context, not so sure about CPL, because of the travel costs of a coast to coast league (which would be harder on small to mid sized cities compared to metropolitan areas like Toronto, Edmonton, etc)

5 hours ago, brianjc said:

I could see Windsor in a League 1 Canada context, not so sure about CPL, because of the travel costs of a coast to coast league (which would be harder on small to mid sized cities compared to metropolitan areas like Toronto, Edmonton, etc)

If you aren't aware, they already have a team in League 1 Ontario since 2014.

One question I have for Windsor is do they have an airport?  I don’t think so but others may know.  There is obviously Detroit but that means going into and out of the US which certainly would be an issue for some players and personnel from outside Canada especially.  London does but its a fair bit away and Toronto a lot farther.

1 minute ago, An Observer said:

One question I have for Windsor is do they have an airport?  I don’t think so but others may know.  There is obviously Detroit but that means going into and out of the US which certainly would be an issue for some players and personnel from outside Canada especially.  London does but its a fair bit away and Toronto a lot farther.

They do have an airport. I've flown there for work.

But it's mostly just flights to and from Toronto 

• 1 month later...

Not looking good for Windsor when you compare and contrast subsequent publicly visible progress there with what just unfolded in Regina.

Regina has an apparently interested identified investor group with a plan for a pop-up or modular type stadium at a location that has already been prepared for future development, with a Sunderland team flying in to play TFC II in this summer for a friendly to gauge interest.

Think that's the level of progress that could reasonably have been expected in Windsor by now if the conditional club rights announcement was more than just a face saving exit for David Clanachan out in a nice if it happens at some point down the road but don't hold your breath territory.

22 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Think that's the level of progress that could reasonably have been expected in Windsor by now if the conditional club rights announcement was more than just a face saving exit for David Clanachan out in a nice if it happens at some point down the road but don't hold your breath territory.

It's been less than five months. Calm down. 

38 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Those pics were in the article?  Weren't on my phone when I found out about it.  It's a local business magazine.  I usually take a few minutes and read it when it comes into the bar but I didn't get a chance with this issue.  One of my regulars mentioned it today which lead to finding.

3 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Those pics were in the article?  Weren't on my phone when I found out about it.  It's a local business magazine.  I usually take a few minutes and read it when it comes into the bar but I didn't get a chance with this issue.  One of my regulars mentioned it today which lead to finding.

Ya I  see it in the article