Windsor CPL Club

Watchmen

1 hour ago, Tigers said:

There's gotta be flights from Detroit to most CPL cities no? Border crossing is an extra step but it's also kind of a fact of life in a border city.

I was assuming that they wanted (needed?) to use WestJet, due to sponsorship; and Westjet does not fly to/from Detroit.

9 hours ago, gkhs said:

I was assuming that they wanted (needed?) to use WestJet, due to sponsorship; and Westjet does not fly to/from Detroit.

As I understand it, the teams get nothing from WestJet in the way of flights and are not required to to fly with the sponsoring airline.

Taking a bus from Pearson to Windsor isn't the end of the world anyway as long as you are not doing it on the day of the game, which they almost certainly wouldn't be. Given international players are likely to be involved, I suspect they would probably avoid using Detroit given the potential for extra hassles on visas. Think Windsor is very much in would be nice if it happens but don't hold your breath territory right now so that would be a good problem for the league to have rather than something they urgently need a solution for.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

School board closing four high school tracks | Windsor Star Some details about Windsor stadium which was originally included in the CPL's plan to launch a club there.

"At Kennedy’s Windsor Stadium, the running surface is overgrown with vegetation “to the point where it is nearly organic,” and its only identifying feature is a concrete curb — another tripping hazard."

"The board will renovate Windsor Stadium behind Kennedy for $1.28 million. In addition to removing that track and replacing it with grass, the board will relocate stadium lighting and restore the washrooms and grandstand seating."

“If someone out there is interested in Windsor Stadium, step up, because we’re interested. We have been interested … for nine years,” LeClair said, inviting public investment in the facility.

In 2020, Windsor Mayor Drew Dilkens decided not to push his long-standing offer to take over Windsor Stadium after school board trustees at the time decided to take no action on a $7-million repair estimate."

The renovation of the grandstand, removal of the track, moving of the stadium lighting and improvement to the washrooms are all things that would help a future CPL club I would imagine. Adding some temporary stands on the west side and you have a decent ~5,000 seat venue. Could this be one of the rumoured 2025 CPL clubs?