General MLS Talk 2022

Big_M

5 hours ago, Watchmen said:

So "no matches on TV" but also "matches on TV". Got it. ...

...and if it's ESPN that is being mentioned on that in an American context then it will probably be TSN in a Canadian context given the ownership overlap. MLS appear to be avoiding the trap of going with streaming only.

$60 million for in house production costs definitely helps explain the number that gets repeated a lot in a Mediapro context for CanPL

The one angle that isn't being reported is how important the Leagues Cup was in arriving at $250 million. CONCACAF ditched CanPL from the North American portion of qualifying for the CCL to facilitate that competition.

17 hours ago, Free kick said:

In the segment below, Filosa is making the identical arguments (about this deal) that i was making  in another thread two weeks ago regarding the deal EPL made with DAZN and how it set back IMHO EPL soccer in Canada.   The point being that with streaming services you will only going to draw existing audiences but you wont create new audiences because casuals need to to see it first in order to get hooked. Nobody is going to pay to subscibe to something in order to sample it.  He claims that in Quebec its far from an established sport..  

https://www.985fm.ca/audio/491575/entente-entre-la-mls-et-apple-ca-me-fait-tres-peur

By the way the 8.5 mill per club is net of production costs from what I read. Unlike what others have noted above.  I read that after all other deals are factored in, the media revenues are expected to be 300 mill per year and production costs 60 mill.  

Still, They more doubling their broadcast revenues from the current deal, so how can anyone complain.  A club could take that extra money and market the game locally (to create new audiences) in new and differnt ways. 

The gateway soccer tv drug in North America has been national team football via World Cups. Watching club football is something people do later on in their soccer product life cycle - if ever at all. It's the opposite of the fandom pathway of major football nations. So, 1st/2nd/3rd gen Canadians with connections to these nations don't need to sample a league before subscribing to it on a streaming platform.

It's one of the reasons why the CSB/CSA reaction has been largely skewed against the CSB since many don't realize the economic dominance of club football over national team football. The MLS tv rights deal is 10x larger than the USSF tv rights deal.

And EPL on DAZN hasn't setback the league in Canada since fubotv just outbid DAZN for the rights. It remains the most valued football league property in Canada.

Plus, watching football matches as a gateway to sampling a league is of much less import compared to 20 years ago. People under 30 more often than not don't watch a match end to end. They're more exposed to it via social media including match highlights. They also tend to avidly follow players rather than clubs. They tend to sample the product via EA FIFA/FUT first. Add in the fashion element, it's why PSG is set to open a store in NY even though ligue 1 is a fringe soccer tv product in the US.

For those who don't sub to the Athletic, they put out a podcast that covers what they wrote. They estimate US$7.5 million net to each club - about 3x more but costs have risen also. They didn't account for the lost revenue from local tv deals which Forbes estimates as US$80 million. So, net about US$5.3m per 30 teams.

They view the deal as overall good but not a game changer in the short run. But it sets up MLS nicely to capitalize on 2026.

Ethan Finlay, MLSPA Executive Board Member 

Edited by red card

5 hours ago, red card said:

The gateway soccer tv drug in North America has been national team football via World Cups. Watching club football is something people do later on in their soccer product life cycle - if ever at all. It's the opposite of the fandom pathway of major football nations. So, 1st/2nd/3rd gen Canadians with connections to these nations don't need to sample a league before subscribing to it on a streaming platform.

It's one of the reasons why the CSB/CSA reaction has been largely skewed against the CSB since many don't realize the economic dominance of club football over national team football. The MLS tv rights deal is 10x larger than the USSF tv rights deal.

And EPL on DAZN hasn't setback the league in Canada since fubotv just outbid DAZN for the rights. It remains the most valued football league property in Canada.

Plus, watching football matches as a gateway to sampling a league is of much less import compared to 20 years ago. People under 30 more often than not don't watch a match end to end. They're more exposed to it via social media including match highlights. They also tend to avidly follow players rather than clubs. They tend to sample the product via EA FIFA/FUT first. Add in the fashion element, it's why PSG is set to open a store in NY even though ligue 1 is a fringe soccer tv product in the US.

For those who don't sub to the Athletic, they put out a podcast that covers what they wrote. They estimate US$7.5 million net to each club - about 3x more but costs have risen also. They didn't account for the lost revenue from local tv deals which Forbes estimates as US$80 million. So, net about US$5.3m per 30 teams.

They view the deal as overall good but not a game changer in the short run. But it sets up MLS nicely to capitalize on 2026.

Ethan Finlay, MLSPA Executive Board Member 

Nicely said bro. 

Big mistake by mls to not have every single game on cable...if the older crowd are those who still have cable its also them who have money so you cant be cutting them out or you risk pissing them off and your revenues could go down elsewhere like merch sales

3 hours ago, Big_M said:

Big mistake by mls to not have every single game on cable...if the older crowd are those who still have cable its also them who have money so you cant be cutting them out or you risk pissing them off and your revenues could go down elsewhere like merch sales

I'm still not clear on this.

Up till now I could watch every Whitecaps game on TSN.  Starting next season, will TSN still be carrying MLS games or are they out of the picture entirely?  And (since I'm not an Apple+ subscriber) would this then mean I'll have to buy a subscription to this new MLS streaming service to watch the Caps?

As far as TSN its still not finalized/announced which TV channels will have games and which games they will have

As far as streaming on Apple if you have a season ticket you have a subscription included...if not then yes you will have to buy a subscription to the mls streaming service

Many great points and views here.  From my point of view, I'm convinced MLS was always gonna go with the highest bidder.  They've been getting by purely on expansion fees for several years.  They needed a major boost in revenue now that they've pretty much maxed out on the number of teams.  If it hurts the growth or not, the had to do it to survive.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2022 at 7:37 PM, Free kick said:

I suspect they might alter the rule to allow one more DP.   

I hope not.  Further improvements in the league will most rapidly be achieved by allowing teams to spend more on players 4-11.  I'd rather see that than just a fourth very highly paid player on each team.

4 hours ago, Kingston said:

I hope not.  Further improvements in the league will most rapidly be achieved by allowing teams to spend more on players 4-11.  I'd rather see that than just a fourth very highly paid player on each team.

How would paying the domestics more improve the quality in the league?  By drawing North American players who currently play abroad back into the MLS?  It would certainly improve life for the domestics, which I support.  I'm just not sure that they would play any better.

14 hours ago, rkomar said:

How would paying the domestics more improve the quality in the league?  By drawing North American players who currently play abroad back into the MLS?  It would certainly improve life for the domestics, which I support.  I'm just not sure that they would play any better.

They don't have to be domestics.  They'd be players - domestic or foreign - who could play in MLS but are currently earning more to play in second tier European leagues.

Right now a typical starting 11 has three very highly paid DPs, three to five guys with some degree of allocation money, and three to five guys making $150 k or less.  I content that getting to the point where the entire starting lineup is in the $500 to $1 million range will do a lot more to improve the level of play than adding a fourth DP.

• 2 weeks later...