General MLS Talk 2022

Big_M

Other details of note re Apple TV deal:

- MLS and Apple will create a production studio, hire presenters and English-, Spanish- and French-speaking announcers, develop shoulder programming and produce a live whip-around show on Saturday nights. All matches involving Canadian teams will be available in French.

-  Regional broadcasts will end following the 2022 season. Club radio feeds will be available in addition to league broadcasters.

-  83% of MLS fans watch sports on a streaming device or recorded TV in a “typical week,” compared to 52% of the general population.

- Deal is sweetened by 1) profit-sharing where MLS gets a portion of Apple’s excess subscriptions, and 2) linear simulcast deals. ESPN and Univision families of networks will likely end up airing a slightly reduced number of games than they do in the current media rights agreement.

- Deal is in part offset by MLS producing and paying production costs for matches shown on Apple TV+. 

- No blackouts. All matches on Wednesday and Saturday nights ex stadium & linear tv conflicts. 1080p broadcasts.

I haven't seen yet any direct mention of TSN/TVA but if it is like the US deal, TSN/TVA will carry matches but less in number. 

2 minutes ago, red card said:

Other details of note re Apple TV deal:

- MLS and Apple will create a production studio, hire presenters and English-, Spanish- and French-speaking announcers, develop shoulder programming and produce a live whip-around show on Saturday nights. All matches involving Canadian teams will be available in French.

-  Regional broadcasts will end following the 2022 season. Club radio feeds will be available in addition to league broadcasters.

-  83% of MLS fans watch sports on a streaming device or recorded TV in a “typical week,” compared to 52% of the general population.

- Deal is sweetened by 1) profit-sharing where MLS gets a portion of Apple’s excess subscriptions, and 2) linear simulcast deals. ESPN and Univision families of networks will likely end up airing a slightly reduced number of games than they do in the current media rights agreement.

- Deal is in part offset by MLS producing and paying production costs for matches shown on Apple TV+. 

- No blackouts. All matches on Wednesday and Saturday nights ex stadium & linear tv conflicts. 1080p broadcasts.

I haven't seen yet any direct mention of TSN/TVA but if it is like the US deal, TSN/TVA will carry matches but less in number. 

Some games will be on TV in Canada:

The CBA covering till 2027 outlines how much the tv deal MLS will need to be passed on to the players.

Salary budget + GAM + TAM goes from US$9.225 million in 2021 to US$13.013 million in 2027. 

Then, MLS will increase player spending by an amount equal to 12.5% of the incremental media revenue, as defined in the CBA, in 2023 and 2024, increasing to 25% for the 2025, 2026 and 2027 seasons. "Incremental" implies not all of the US$250 million revenue is up for sharing. So, the CBA comp increase of US$3.788 by 2027 should be larger than would be accrued from the increased media revenue.

Edited by red card

2 hours ago, red card said:

TVA announced that it's the end for them

À la suite de cette entente, les chaînes de télévision linéaires comme TVA Sports – diffuseur exclusif de l’équipe montréalaise depuis les six dernières années et dont l’entente prend fin en 2022 – et TSN ne pourront donc plus présenter des rencontres de la MLS. L’adjoint au commissaire, Gary Stevenson a toutefois mentionné être ouvert à la possibilité de présenter certains matchs sur des chaînes câblées au Canada et aux États-Unis.

• Following this agreement, linear television channels such as TVA Sports – exclusive broadcaster of the Montreal team for the past six years and whose agreement ends in 2022 – and TSN will therefore no longer be able to present MLS matches. . The assistant commissioner, Gary Stevenson, however, mentioned being open to the possibility of presenting certain matches on cable channels in Canada and the United States

«TVA Sports est heureuse d’avoir contribué à l’essor et au rayonnement du CF Montréal et de la MLS depuis six ans. Nous sommes surpris et déçus de la décision de la MLS qui, selon nous, va nuire à l’engouement et à la visibilité du soccer au Québec. D’ici la fin de la saison, nous diffuserons 18 matchs restants du CF Montréal sur les ondes de TVA Sports», a réagi la chaîne. 

• “TVA Sports is pleased to have contributed to the growth and influence of CF Montreal and MLS for six years. We are surprised and disappointed by the decision of the MLS which, in our opinion, will harm the enthusiasm and visibility of soccer in Quebec. By the end of the season, we will broadcast 18 remaining CF Montreal games on TVA Sports,” the channel responded.

Joey Saputo voted against the deal

Edited by Ansem

2 minutes ago, Ansem said:

À la suite de cette entente, les chaînes de télévision linéaires comme TVA Sports – diffuseur exclusif de l’équipe montréalaise depuis les six dernières années et dont l’entente prend fin en 2022 – et TSN ne pourront donc plus présenter des rencontres de la MLS. L’adjoint au commissaire, Gary Stevenson a toutefois mentionné être ouvert à la possibilité de présenter certains matchs sur des chaînes câblées au Canada et aux États-Unis.

• Following this agreement, linear television channels such as TVA Sports – exclusive broadcaster of the Montreal team for the past six years and whose agreement ends in 2022 – and TSN will therefore no longer be able to present MLS matches. . The assistant commissioner, Gary Stevenson, however, mentioned being open to the possibility of presenting certain matches on cable channels in Canada and the United States

«TVA Sports est heureuse d’avoir contribué à l’essor et au rayonnement du CF Montréal et de la MLS depuis six ans. Nous sommes surpris et déçus de la décision de la MLS qui, selon nous, va nuire à l’engouement et à la visibilité du soccer au Québec. D’ici la fin de la saison, nous diffuserons 18 matchs restants du CF Montréal sur les ondes de TVA Sports», a réagi la chaîne. 

• “TVA Sports is pleased to have contributed to the growth and influence of CF Montreal and MLS for six years. We are surprised and disappointed by the decision of the MLS which, in our opinion, will harm the enthusiasm and visibility of soccer in Quebec. By the end of the season, we will broadcast 18 remaining CF Montreal games on TVA Sports,” the channel responded.

Sounds like TVA Sports are upset they weren't even able to bid.

2 minutes ago, narduch said:

They are pretty spot on on the impacts of this deal. They can forget casuals now who I doubt will get Apple for MLS. Season tickets will by default but not all fans will take the service for that unless they already were subscribed.

CF Montreal problems weren't their fanbase (for the most part) but their shocking inability to attract new fans & casuals beyond Montreal Island. This deals does not facilitate that one bit

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

And no more TSN either. 

et TSN ne pourront donc plus présenter des rencontres de la MLS.

Though, Garber's letter says they are working to simulcast games on major North American linear networks. 

Filosa also says in the replies that TVA was paying CFM $5 million - one of better local deals. 

If season ticket holders get free subs, how much more is left for Apple? Plus, with nearly all matches now at night, it means losing traction in UK & Europe. Need North American growth to pay off. And/or using MLS as proof of streaming capabilities for bigger sports properties.

Edited by red card

3 hours ago, Ansem said:

So "no matches on TV" but also "matches on TV". Got it. This mostly sounds like TVA throwing a bit of a fit right now. I'm sure when people have calmed down, an agreement of some sort will be reached. It won't be for all the games, but they'll probably get some.

3 hours ago, Watchmen said:

So "no matches on TV" but also "matches on TV". Got it. This mostly sounds like TVA throwing a bit of a fit right now. I'm sure when people have calmed down, an agreement of some sort will be reached. It won't be for all the games, but they'll probably get some.

They have a right to be upset. Filosa said they used to pay MLS $5M a year (amongst the highest for local deals) and they were pretty good partners to the league in Québec. When I lived there, they really did all they could to promote not only the club but the league as a whole.

TVA must have felt dumped to come out with that statement and just declaring themselves out. Hard to think that TSN is thrilled either.

Saputo voted against this deal for a reason. Like TVA pointed out, the exposure of the club and the sport will take a dive. It's wishful thinking to expect casuals to subscribe to Apple TV just for MLS and those on that service might not care all that much for it. Think of the fans who had cable + DAZN like my dad...no way he buys Apple TV just for CF Montreal and he watched them as a casual

Rejean Tremblay, major sport journalist in Québec, said on radio this afternoon "what's the incentive now for channels here to invest in content, sending crews to cover the league here and in the US?" Wanna bet there about to be some firing coming soon?

But hey, saying that the league might have not thought this through for this side of the border is taboo in these parts... maybe we were never really a priority except getting clout and Canadian dollars to help grow their league.

Don't mind me... carry on

Edited by Ansem

25 minutes ago, Ansem said:

They have a right to be upset. Filosa said they used to pay MLS $5M a year (amongst the highest for local deals) and they were pretty good partners to the league in Québec. When I lived there, they really did all they could to promote not only the club but the league as a whole.

TVA must have felt flushed to come out with that statement and just declaring themselves out. Hard to think that TSN is thrilled either.

Saputo voting against the deal for a reason. Like TVA pointed out, the exposure on the club and the sport will take a dive. It's wishful thinking to expext casuals to subscribe to Apple TV just for MLS and those on that service might not care all that much for it. Think of the fans who had cable + DAZN like my dad...no way he buys Apple TV just for CF Montreal and he watched them as a casual

Rejean Tremblay, major sport journalist in Québec, said on radio this afternoon "what's the incentive now for channels here to invest in content, sending crews to cover the league here and in the US?" Wanna bet there about to be some firing coming soon?

But hey, saying thatbthe league might have not thought through this side of the border is taboo in these parts... maybe we were never really a priority except getting clout and Canadian dollars to help grow their league.

Don't mind me... carry on

Sure, didn't say TVA couldn't or shouldn't be upset. Just that it's day 1 of the announcement. Let's let things cool off and see where they go.

In terms of casuals subscribing to Apple just for MLS, I agree it's mostly wishful thinking. It's the same argument I made about OneSoccer - it's naive to think casuals will sign up for it.

As for the journalists going to cover games on the road, that's been in major decline across all sports for a while now. The Whitecaps have been getting most of their coverage remotely even before the pandemic. Even the Canucks traveling group of journalists is down to very few. So I don't think that's directly as big an issue as you think it is, or at least not one that's unique to MLS.

6 hours ago, Ansem said:

This sounds like a good thing to me. I want to watch Montreal games out here in the west and can’t do it. I also want to watch other MLS teams so I’m all for this new deal. 

$250M a year for the league purely for streaming rights. That’s massive. The days of cable tv have been coming to an end for a long time.  Televised sports in Canada have always just focused on hockey so they can continue to stick to only that. 

What I really want to see happen though is a more balanced schedule. It’s far to focused on their own conferences lately. I miss seeing teams play each other. 

4 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

This is not good news IMO, the visibility of MLS will drop in Canada.

You won’t need Apple TV+ to view the games.  I have Apple TV on my phone and tablet and I pay very little.  I don’t even notice it on my credit card bill.  And, from what I read,  anyone who is a season ticket holder will get it for free.  So I only see a good deal here.   The service has a global reach so whether you are American or Canadian you are not getting any less or any more.  From what I read,  they are negotiating with linear service providers (and maybe that will include a Canadian media company) and I think that that is important because they can help to bring in new audiences 

Some more details about Apple deal from the Athletic:

- Portuguese language coming in 2025

- MLS is planning to hire between 10 and 14 broadcast teams. MLS could also build out facilities, including a studio.

- MLS is close to a 4 yr deal with ESPN that would put between 23-25 regular season games per season on the ESPN family of networks vs 34 this year. ESPN and Apple TV would alternate which network broadcasts MLS Cup over the next 4 years. Implies matches on North American linear tv could be phased out towards the end of the 10 year deal.

- ESPN would pay a fraction of the US$35m/yr they currently pay, in part because it would not include USSF matches anymore. ESPN did not bid to keep the local MLS game package on ESPN+. 

- Univision is far more interested in Leagues Cup than it is in MLS regular season, but that it will likely end up with inventory from both.

- MLS informed TSN and TVA about the Apple deal in the hours before the announcement. MLS would like to continue discussions with those networks about carrying their broadcast agreements past 2022.

- Between that and deals with its linear TV partners, multiple sources expect MLS’s media rights income to end up somewhere just shy of U$300 million per year. But this will be reduced by MLS spending around US$60 million on producing games each season, with additional costs in the next year or two associated with starting-up its own production arm. 

- Per terms of the CBA, in 2023 and 2024, players will receive 12.5% of the net increase in media revenue for anything more than US$100 million above the league’s 2022 media compensation. If, for example, MLS winds up around US$290 million for its media rights, that is approximately US$125 million more than the US$165 million mark where revenue share kicks in. That should take a substantial bite out of the cut given to the players. 

- The significance of this deal for the big leagues across the pond is that Apple has finally taken the plunge. The EPL/Ligue 1 have successfully enticed Amazon into the market but it has not fired the gun on another media-rights arms race. 

https://theathletic.com/3365616/2022/06/14/mls-media-rights-deal-facts/

As of March, Apple TV had estimated 25m paid subs & 50m free 1 yr subs. Share of global streaming is just below 6%.

8 hours ago, narduch said:

In the segment below, Filosa is making the identical arguments (about this deal) that i was making  in another thread two weeks ago regarding the deal EPL made with DAZN and how it set back IMHO EPL soccer in Canada.   The point being that with streaming services you will only going to draw existing audiences but you wont create new audiences because casuals need to to see it first in order to get hooked. Nobody is going to pay to subscibe to something in order to sample it.  He claims that in Quebec its far from an established sport..  

https://www.985fm.ca/audio/491575/entente-entre-la-mls-et-apple-ca-me-fait-tres-peur

By the way the 8.5 mill per club is net of production costs from what I read. Unlike what others have noted above.  I read that after all other deals are factored in, the media revenues are expected to be 300 mill per year and production costs 60 mill.  

Still, They more doubling their broadcast revenues from the current deal, so how can anyone complain.  A club could take that extra money and market the game locally (to create new audiences) in new and differnt ways.