General MLS Talk 2022

Big_M

On 2/23/2022 at 4:59 PM, Ruffian said:

Maybe not all games are produced in Spanish. Maybe they will only show those ones.

Didn't think about that, could be; but usually no Spaniard would watch a game with a Mexican or South American commentary. Yes, it is a form of prejudice. Not against their knowledge or capacity, against the accent. And a bit against the style. 

You can have an Argentine or Mexican do colour, but not the play by play. I appreciate people don't realise this, but even animated movies are done separately, there's a Latino "Frozen" soundtrack and a Spanish one.

I didn't watch but I just suppose they'd put their DAZN people in Spain on them.

A lengthy, lengthy read:

Only had a chance to skim through it so far, but a few highlights for me:

- Executives think Whitecaps ownership does hold the team back, but isn't the worst group.

- Schuster is the 2nd most difficult executive to deal with (that's neither good or bad to me, just interesting)

- They seem to all hate the GAM/TAM rules

- Aiming to be the 6th best league in the world by 2027 (with an eye to catching France)

- Related to that last one - they fully acknowledge that none of their teams are as good as the top teams in a number of leagues, but think as a whole they're stronger than a few right now - seem to rank themselves between about 8th and 12th, behind the Big 5, Brazil, and Mexico.

21 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Didn't think about that, could be; but usually no Spaniard would watch a game with a Mexican or South American commentary. Yes, it is a form of prejudice. Not against their knowledge or capacity, against the accent. And a bit against the style. 

You can have an Argentine or Mexican do colour, but not the play by play. I appreciate people don't realise this, but even animated movies are done separately, there's a Latino "Frozen" soundtrack and a Spanish one.

I didn't watch but I just suppose they'd put their DAZN people in Spain on them.

No, not surprising at all. There have been commercials and animated shows, even movies in the western market that have had American/Canadian accent dubs over the original Australian or British voices. 

18 hours ago, Watchmen said:

- Aiming to be the 6th best league in the world by 2027 (with an eye to catching France)

- Related to that last one - they fully acknowledge that none of their teams are as good as the top teams in a number of leagues, but think as a whole they're stronger than a few right now - seem to rank themselves between about 8th and 12th, behind the Big 5, Brazil, and Mexico.

Ranking leagues is always going to be a difficult thing to do.  Ranking MLS is more difficult that most because it has a parity structure that the leagues it gets compared to don't.

Big picture, though, the potential for the league to grow is still massive.  The combined US/Canada economy is bigger than the combined EU/UK economy but with one major soccer league instead of a bunch.  The NHL is currently the fourth biggest Canada/US league by revenue, well behind the third place NBA.  Still, the NHL handily beats every soccer league in the world for revenue except the EPL.  Meaning MLS doesn't even have to become a top four sport in its home market to become the second richest soccer league in the world.

MLS is only in its 27th season.  I could easily see a tipping point being reached where increasing revenue and increasing level of play, salaries, and attractiveness to top players enter a feedback loop.  Give the league another couple of decades of growth and I think we'll all be surprised where it ranks when it turns 50.

On 3/3/2022 at 7:03 PM, Watchmen said:

A lengthy, lengthy read:

- Executives think Whitecaps ownership does hold the team back, but isn't the worst group.

- Schuster is the 2nd most difficult executive to deal with (that's neither good or bad to me, just interesting)

I alluded to this article in another thread.   Its definitely recommended reading in my opinion 

5 hours ago, Kingston said:

The combined US/Canada economy is bigger than the combined EU/UK economy but with one major soccer league instead of a bunch.  The NHL is currently the fourth biggest Canada/US league by revenue, well behind the third place NBA.  Still, the NHL handily beats every soccer league in the world for revenue except the EPL.  Meaning MLS doesn't even have to become a top four sport in its home market to become the second richest soccer league in the world.

I have alluded to this many times.  There is more money here in North America and the league and league structures are not saddled by age old fallacies and antiquated customs like you have in Europe.   Like the need for promotion and relegation when its the same damn teams that go up an down.  In North America we are more adaptable, receptive to change and new approaches.    And organizations actually hire professions to work in front offices.  Just look at the stadiums that some of the clubs in Italy have to play in.   And, the bureaucracy you have to fight in order to build a new stadium, even if you want to pay for it yourself.   

There are more Private sector sources to get sponsorships from in North America.     

8 hours ago, Kingston said:

Ranking leagues is always going to be a difficult thing to do.  Ranking MLS is more difficult that most because it has a parity structure that the leagues it gets compared to don't.

It's not just the parity.  The Champions League, Europa League, and maybe the Conference League allow you to directly compare teams from different leagues playing each other.  It's obviously not an exact science, but it does allow at least a general sense of where things stand.  MLS can compare itself to Liga MX on a regular basis, but not really any of the others.  I've been in favour of an enlarged Copa America for a while, but I don't think we'll see an enlarged (ie South and North America) Copa Libertadores any time soon.

A guy who I thought would do well in MLS is now a DP with the Fire.  Shaqiri is one of those inverted flank attackers/wingers who have usually done very well in this league (i.e. Piatti, Blanco, Vela).  I wonder how he'll do in the Windy City and if his play can raise the fortunes of a moribund MLS franchise

On 3/3/2022 at 7:03 PM, Watchmen said:

A lengthy, lengthy read:

I think if they are really serious about being one of the best leagues in the world they need to cut back to 18 or 20 teams. 30+ teams is way too many for a real top flight.

I just don't think they are interested in that.

The other thing is they would need to remove the salary cap and all the other stupid roster rules. 

Edited by narduch

48 minutes ago, narduch said:

I think if they are really serious about being one of the best leagues in the world they need to cut back to 18 or 20 teams. 30+ teams is way too many for a real top flight.

The other thing is they would need to remove the salary cap and all the other stupid roster rules. 

Cutting back teams isn't going to happen and it really isn't necessary either. Like others have mentioned, when it comes to a North American context, MLS just needs to reach NHL levels of revenue to leapfrog every soccer league in the world financially bar the EPL.

Edited by Macksam

1 hour ago, narduch said:

The executives didn't seem opposed to having a salary cap, they just wanted more flexibility on how they use it.  They'd prefer to spend say $20 million on the full team, as opposed to $12 million on 3 players and $8 million on the rest of the team.

6 hours ago, narduch said:

Argentina has had between 26-28 teams for a decade now, and nobody talks about them cutting back 10 clubs to be more competitive. A larger sized country may just have more teams because of size and reach for people outside the largest markets. Most European countries are the size of New Brunswick.

2 hours ago, Trois Reds said:

Argentina has had between 26-28 teams for a decade now, and nobody talks about them cutting back 10 clubs to be more competitive. A larger sized country may just have more teams because of size and reach for people outside the largest markets. Most European countries are the size of New Brunswick.

I once had to explain to my wife that Vancouver Island was actually bigger than Belgium from where she is from (after she had said when we go to Vancouver we can just pop over to Vancouver Island for the day and see some friends of hers that had moved there).

5 hours ago, Trois Reds said:

Argentina doesn't go around telling everyone they are aiming to be the 6th best league in the World.

Too many teams make it harder to get excited about some of your opponents.

8 hours ago, narduch said:

Yes, but which opponents don't excite you depends on who you are.  I don't really care about Portland but Portland are a big deal for Seattle and Vancouver fans.  So every team is exciting to someone.  (I've also never really understood the idea that we should somehow feel more strongly about a team as an opponent because of, basically, the size of the city they come from.  I get a local rival where you could "easily" go to an away game.  But why should I care more about, say, Los Angeles than, say, Salt Lake just because LA is a bigger city?  If RSL is a better team, that is what should matter.)

Also, the MLS market contains 370 million people.  It should have more teams than the 20 that are traditional in a single-country European league with a market of 20 to 60 million.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Wondering if MLS is having 2nd thoughts about the expanded Leagues Cup based on the weekends events in Mexico 

Doubt it. They probably want most of the matches in the US or Canada anyway and this would just help that along.

14 hours ago, narduch said:

Argentina doesn't go around telling everyone they are aiming to be the 6th best league in the World.

Agreed about Argentina, but they are already one of the best 10 leagues in the world, even with 28 teams.  They don't need to try to be top 6, they're already in that conversation.  MLS is not there yet, and they want to be.

Argentina expanded from 20 teams because almost all the top flight teams were from Buenos Aires.  They still have 15 of the 28 clubs from only one city, but now other places around the country can cheer their home club. It's like having the CPL expand to 20 teams, and 12 of them being from Southern Ontario.  Argentina is a pretty big country, too.  The USA is large than most of Europe, so a 30 team league is pretty much necessary to get fans from everywhere.

I also don't think Newcastle fans get really pumped about playing Everton, Wolves, or Southampton every year, and vice versa, unless there's a relegation battle between them.  Proximity is the main reason for a rivalry, followed by team/city history and team success. 

15 hours ago, Ruffian said:

They played 2 really bad teams. We'll see if they are actually quality when they play Portland.

True, Cincinnati and Inter Miami are not world beaters.

But DC United play Cinci and only scored 1 goal.  And Chicago played Miami and scored 0 goals.  So Austin has to get some credit for putting 5 goals against both of them.

And, yes, the game against Portland, in Portland, should tell us more.