General MLS Talk 2022

Big_M

13 hours ago, Free kick said:

Are you sure about this?  I could be wrong but a couple of years ago, I installed the Apple TV app.   I was thinking just like you, it's just another app there is no commitment on my part.  Well, since around that time, or shortly after, I started to notice a charge of $6.77 from Apple TV on my credit card statement each month.   I never bothered to cancel it because: 1) I would have to find out where to go to cancel 2) there might come a day when I want to watch something on Apple TV and 3) its a small amount.    I never knowingly signed up or subscribed.   It might have been one of those things whereby you are told its free and then hidden in the fine print is info that its free only for a certain time.   But i dont get the sence that you can get it standalone.  I could be wrong.  

that must have been apple TV+, which is the paid service; not sure what happened

either way, MLS and apple's press releases have stressed that it's independent from TV+: "a new MLS streaming service, available exclusively through the Apple TV app." 

as an aside apple really messed up with the naming on these products... there's the physical apple TV (akin to smart TV/chromecast), the apple TV site and app (free app, basically just a hub to go to netflix/prime/disney+ and purchase movies from the apple store), and appleTV+ (the paid streaming service within appleTV, where ted lasso/severance/for all mankind/tragedy of macbeth can be found). confusion is understandable

Yes.  Indeed I was confused for the longest time because I would go into the App and see all these shows and, for every one of them, I would have to pay extra for.  Funny you mentioned Ted Lasso, because that's the only show I watch.  and it seems to be the only one that is free.

Edited by Free kick

maybe..but now that you look back you gotta admit Olsen did ok with a pretty low budget DC..he took over a dead last team towards the end of 2010, improved them in 2011, made playoffs in 4 of the following 5 years and the year that he didnt make playoffs they won the open cup (2013 with de rosario and porter), then missed playoffs in 2017 and made it in 2018 and 2019 and got fired in 2020

look at DC the past couple seasons..theyve had multiple coaches, missed playoffs both years, had some heavy losses this year and finished last in the east and Rooney doesnt seem ready from what we've seen up to now

could go either way with this hire in Houston but I wouldnt be surprised if it works out