General MLS Talk 2022

Big_M

14 hours ago, narduch said:

Interesting about the tepid response to Leagues Cup.

Wonder if they abandon that after a few years.

Except from Univision, who's actually more interested in those rights.  Might be a way for the league to leverage a (slightly) better deal.

Think the interesting part now might be the term on any deal.

5 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Except from Univision, who's actually more interested in those rights.  Might be a way for the league to leverage a (slightly) better deal.

Think the interesting part now might be the term on any deal.

They may be more interested but they are going to provide MLS with the money Garber has been hyping for years.

5 hours ago, narduch said:

They may be more interested but they are going to provide MLS with the money Garber has been hyping for years.

Oh no, I think we're all seeing that the "next level" contract Garber was hoping for hasn't emerged at all. So, I think we'll see a deal that ensures the most number of games are available, in an attempt to grow the product further. But, they also need to figure out how to make the product better.

• 3 weeks later...

American Soccer Analysis ranked MLS teams based on their devotion to analytics.

Nerd Boss = DCU has a GM with an analytics background. TD worked for Prozone one of the commercial pioneers in analytics. DC also recently hired Blake Parry as a Data Scientist.

Toronto FC: Devin Pleuler is the director of analytics for Toronto. He wrote an analytics column for MLSSoccer.com and worked for Opta prior to joining Toronto. Pleuler is one of the world leaders in the soccer analytics space and routinely presents at conferences such as Sloan and NESSIS. He has also been profiled in The Athletic. Arthur Casupanan is manager of scouting and data analysis. The Toronto FC data team also has access to support from other Maple Leaf Sport and Entertainment staff (Raptors, Maple Leafs, Argonauts).

Vancouver Whitecaps: The Whitecaps have previously invested heavily into sports science, hiring multiple PhDs in the field, headed by Ben Sporer including data scientist Johann Windt (who recently wrote about data visualization in sports). Nikos Overheul, previously with StatsBomb, is their Director of Recruitment and is heavily invested in analytics.  

Club de Foot Montréal: According to MLS, assistant sporting director Vassili Cremanzidis heads up analytics for Montreal. He has experience as a performance analyst and his role is described as “managing the first team’s salary cap, as well as preparing and structuring player contracts.”

image1.jpg

Edited by red card

Curious what folks think of Gabriel Slonina, Chicago Fire’s young keeper.  I rarely buy non-Canadian soccer cards but I just grabbed a base Bowman rookie of his.  The US has a habit of producing solid keepers and this kid is 6’4” and is a starting MLS keeper at age 17.  Seems like a pretty solid prospect.  

18 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Curious what folks think of Gabriel Slonina, Chicago Fire’s young keeper.  I rarely buy non-Canadian soccer cards but I just grabbed a base Bowman rookie of his.  The US has a habit of producing solid keepers and this kid is 6’4” and is a starting MLS keeper at age 17.  Seems like a pretty solid prospect.  

His numbers are crazy. 2 goals against in 7 games! Chicago do play a very defending style to help him though. I was lucky enough to take a flyer on his Sorare card last year.

34 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

His numbers are crazy. 2 goals against in 7 games! Chicago do play a very defending style to help him though. I was lucky enough to take a flyer on his Sorare card last year.

Cool. I don’t know much about him other than his stats, but a kid  that age playing as an MLS starting keeper seems like a safe bet.   Thanks 

that was a very special situation and hes the first one to be happy about leaving so wouldnt call it much of a casualty...talked badly about management multiple times saying they dont spend...dumbly played full field man to man defensively which resulted in conceding many goals and getting little results...absolutely everyone is happy about this...himself the fans the management the players lol

12 hours ago, Ruffian said:

Chicago's numbers are crazy.  They've only scored 5 goals in 7 games and yet are in a playoff position in the East thanks to those aforementioned 2 goals against .

Remarkable!  Probably pretty boring to watch but still remarkable.

11 hours ago, Goal_Kick said:

Chicago's numbers are crazy.  They've only scored 5 goals in 7 games and yet are in a playoff position in the East thanks to those aforementioned 2 goals against .

Remarkable!  Probably pretty boring to watch but still remarkable.

They are looking for a big pay day from selling Slonina. They may actually be adjusting their play style just for that reason and a side effect is that their record is pretty good.