Forge FC - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

2 hours ago, Cicero said:

Article in the Spec today says Cisse is now playing in Morocco. I can't find any info on which team.

https://www.thespec.com/sports/hamilton-region/opinion/2022/04/14/for-openers-its-a-renewal-of-forge-cavalry-rivalry.html

Adam Jenkins mentioned this during one of the Champions league broadcasts months back, and still nothing has come out publically. 

• 1 month later...
39 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

I didn’t get the chance to watch the HFX match, how did Rama and Belewu look? Maybe not the best game for assessing defenders but it looked like an exciting lineup. 

I only watched the first half, but both looked okay. I thought Belawu looked better, much more mobile, a couple nice runs, but both honestly didn't have to do too much.

• 2 weeks later...

Athletic's Kloke put out a piece on Forge/CPL given Saturday's match.

Mostly a rehash of things for people less CPL familiar.

But here are the most interesting lines:

What is certain is that the quality of the Canadian player has increased with access to professional standards of play. That’s why many CPL executives and players are bullish on the league’s future in a way you might not expect from a league playing just its third full season after a shortened 2020 campaign.

“I wouldn’t say there’s that big of a gap,” said Ashtone Morgan when asked about the differences between a CPL training session and the training sessions he had at TFC. “But there are a lot of young guys on this team, which is fine. So I think the key thing right now for us, especially, is learning quick and growing up fast.”

Throughout these matches (Cdn Championship), multiple MLS employees The Athletic informally polled for this story were continually surprised by the overall quality of CPL players.

“Once you understand where you are in the food chain, you know how you can take advantage of that,” said Smyrniotis.

It’s the divergent philosophies between the two leagues that continues to come to the forefront, both on Saturday and into the future: is there enough interest among the wider Canadian soccer fanbase in watching largely under-the-radar players, regardless of how much the quality of play has increased? Or are more recognizable stars, which TFC will continue to spend on, necessary to maintain that interest?

https://theathletic.com/3348580/2022/06/03/forge-fc-toronto-fc-canadian-championship-final/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

Omar Browne is no longer on the roster on Forge's website, I'd assume that means his loan was cancelled.

I don't know if it's official now, but I'd heard that he basically no showed. Panamanian league website doesn't appear to be working/updated, so no clues there. As usual, Forge seems to assume fans have no interest (need?) in knowing what's happening with players.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Why do we even pretend there's a salary cap

Wish so much all the money involved was fully disclosed for all teams. If Forge is going over the cap its outright cheating, no? If they are are going over the cap and simply paying a fine that's bullshit too. Both scenarios look horrible for any league let alone a new league. Now, if other teams are just under spending significantly, that's different.  Fans can call out the owners on that, and in turn the owners can call out fans for not having enough asses in seats. I'm in Hamilton and will be pretty much devastated if Forge is cheating. Takes away from the continental accomplishments. If Bob Young is just spending the limit then we are lucky I guess? Lots of Hamiltonians don't have good things to say about Young and his underlings. Fuck I want this league to work but it needs parity.