Forge FC - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

...I found this frustrating because you could see that the quality of these mexicans sides was extraordinary...  

Montreal have drawn some huge crowds against them indoors at the Big Owe. Maybe Quebecers are less indocrinated into thinking that only a handful of clubs from the top two or three European leagues matter and being able to play indoors with easy public transport access definitely helps at this time of year.

Cruz Azul as an opponent is a bit like playing Everton rather than Liverpool or Torino rather than Juventus but a club like the Forge meeting them in a competitive fixture is still a much bigger deal in soccer terms than most people seem to realise and I doubt it would have been much different with Chivas or Club America anyway.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

Regarding attendance. Let's not forget things are far from normal yet. Towards the end of 2019 Forge were getting significantly better attendance than the covid era( which we are still in) crowds. I'm looking forward to a regular season with predominantly weekend games. I think attendance will swell again. I had two extra tickets for last night and gave them to a friend. They had fun and will be back. I'm always trying to recruit new people to CPL.  I can't be the only SSH doing so!

8 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The drum they use which has a cymbal on top adds a lot to the atmosphere. It's part of the soundtrack that says South American futbol. 

For other CPL supporter groups, I would say it's a must have. More easier and laid back way to provide 90 mins of support than using your vocal chords. 

We know Henry is going to be the primary man still, but after three years of being around the club I'd love to see Baj Maan get a larger opportunity this season. Albeit only a 6 game sample size, but Maan's 73% save percentage last season slightly outperformed Henry's 71%. He held his own most of the time we've seen him, let's see what we have to work with.

New goalkeepers are needed at Forge. Time for a change was awhile ago. Too many times Hentry has been sub-par when it mattered most. You can't have that with your primary goalkeeper. Especially if Forge has visions of consistent CPL championships and Champions League matches. Hentry will continue to disappoint when it matters. Again in the Azteca last night, he just watched a cross come in the 6 yard box on the first goal. Of course, his defenders just watched all 4 Cruz Azul attackers come in freely too. Maan lacks confidence himself, and probably has little confidence from the coaches. Many times, Maan should have played instead of Henry and he wasn't put in the starting lineup. It's just an odd goalkeeper situation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://forgefc.canpl.ca/article/forge-fc-signs-hamiltonian-goalkeeper-bontis

17 year old local keeper signed to a developmental contract. The article mentions he is part of the U20 player pool, so I wonder if he is on the upcoming U20 Concacaf Championship roster. Bontis comes from TFC III and seems to be related (I think the son of) CSA president Nick Bontis.

As far as my understanding, he is now fourth on the pecking order at Forge considering Henry, Maan, and Kalongo. I'm not sure if Kalongo is also on a developmental contract, or is fully signed this season.

Hidden in this article is the fact that Cale Loughrey is going on loan to FC Edmonton, and Shamit Shome was signed and loaned to FC Edmonton. As much as I would love to have Shome in the fold, I'd imagine this is just a league favour and that he will be able to fully sign with FC Edmonton when they eventually find ownership.

Edited by Pottsy3

Sigma's 2022 roster was released, featuring:

2022 Forge USPORTS Draft pick Mohamed Alshakman 

Dino Bontis appears on the roster, as we could've assumed from the developmental contract but there is surprisingly no signs of Marcus Caldeira. 

Club legend Kadell Thomas is still kicking around on Sigma. As is another Forge alumni: Oluwaseun Oyegunle and recent York draft pick Soji Olatoye.

Chris Kalongo is not on the Sigma roster nor is Sebastien Castello, which seems to confirm the idea that both are on normal player contracts with Forge.

1 hour ago, gator said:

I think the team will really miss Cisse, he was so versatile and though that wasn't his prime position I thought he was by far our best right back!

One of our best players for sure. It's also stated in the article that Krutzen is out until July. That's the first time I've heard that. Another blow, but maybe a chance for Metusala to really step up.

Edited by Cicero