Forge FC - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

8 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

Hamilton -> Halifax round trip is only about $120 with Flair/SWOOP for the May 23rd match with Forge. I'm considering it, or even better the one in June. Is the price worth risking the hassle of those airlines?

Took Swoop to Jamaica and it was fine. They have a small fleet so if they have a plane that needs a repair some group obviously gets canceled on. I was talking to someone on the flight who travels a lot and they pointed out that for every flight that gets cancelled, hundreds do not. Not a huge risk. Have no clue about refunds though. My dad and I have been talking about making this trip quite a bit so I'm going to look into it too. 

I'm starting to ramp up excitement for the season, and with the lack of announcements I've been a bit impatient. So I've been trying to watch back the Forge socials videos and there are 4 players in camp that I did not recognize, haven't been able to figure it out so thought I'd share here.

image.png.a477df2c6b19125cf88866fa7d2d682b.png

image.png.047de05504845d5b77a03f8cc6f2b0e2.png

image.png.a5d17c38ece86ec45a1afc9ca1929f08.png

The second pic could just be Krutzen, but the hat is throwing me off. I swear they also keep showing a side profile of Tristan Borges, so I'm pretty confident about his return.

One name that I've noticed having a good amount of social activity related to Forge players, is Malik Belewu. The 19 year old CB seems to have left SPAL back in the summer but there has been no word on his current club situation. Judging by his amount of interaction with Theo Corbeanu and Stefan Mitrovic, I'm assuming he grew up in the Hamilton area as well.

Edited by Pottsy3

I think the first and third-right are the same player, but I don't know who it is. #28 was Robert Cleary last year, and it's obviously not him. Is the third-left Cela with a full beard? Not sure.

Weird thing with Champions league is that if we don't win, we don't play again until the season starts two months later. Strange for the players to do all this prep, then have almost another off-season to wait.

29 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I think the first and third-right are the same player, but I don't know who it is. #28 was Robert Cleary last year, and it's obviously not him. Is the third-left Cela with a full beard? Not sure.

Weird thing with Champions league is that if we don't win, we don't play again until the season starts two months later. Strange for the players to do all this prep, then have almost another off-season to wait.

They aren't the same player, those two screenshots are from the same clip where it pans across and shows them in frame at different times! The third-left guy is shown in another clip and I don't believe it to be Cela, almost looks like Gabriel Bitar (formerly of Cavalry). I'm thinking it might also be Marcus Caldeira who was signed to a developmental contract last summer.

It's definitely possible that the ones without numbers are extras brought in from Sigma/McMaster for camp, but I'd imagine #28 is signed if he's been assigned a number. He looks a bit like a Ben Fisk doppelganger but seems to be a defender. Maybe I'm also just not familiar with the new look USPORTS addition Pianelli.

Edited by Pottsy3

4 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

They aren't the same player, those two screenshots are from the same clip where it pans across and shows them in frame at different times! The third-left guy is shown in another clip and I don't believe it to be Cela, almost looks like Gabriel Bitar (formerly of Cavalry). I'm thinking it might also be Marcus Caldeira who was signed to a developmental contract last summer.

It's definitely possible that the ones without numbers are extras brought in from Sigma/McMaster for camp, but I'd imagine #28 is signed if he's been assigned a number. He looks a bit like a Ben Fisk doppelganger but seems to be a defender. Maybe I'm also just not familiar with the new look USPORTS addition Pianelli.

Yeah, I see now that the top guy has no number on his shorts. I don't understand why they're so stingy with info, what's the big secret? The roster page on the website has not been updated all off-season. Maybe there are just so few staff that communications are an afterthought.

...New left-back Ashtone Morgan hasn’t been registered as of yet, but this is likely due to the fact that the FIFA registration window opens on February 10. Since Morgan is arriving from US side Real Salt Lake, he’d need an international transfer certificate prior to registration – likely the same reason that Aboubacar Sissoko isn’t listed yet, either...

Was looking at some previews from Mexico on the Champions League matches, and see the team most on form is Cruz Azul.

They are third in the league, after 5 competitive matches. They lost their first match yesterday at home to Necaxa. Yes, they are playing weekends and then midweek, but it's early in the season. Apparently most players are healthy and they are travelling with a full team. They say they are travelling today Monday to get used to the cold, their reports say they game will be played at -13; I see it may in fact be above zero...

In contrast, Santos is dead last and Montreal plays them there first, with the second leg at home, so that could be a favourable draw for Montreal in the end. Clearly Forge FC got the toughest team possible in the entire competion. 

I think this is a great challenge for Forge, an exciting way to start the season. Too bad local fans don't realise what having a team of this prestige means, though if they get a few hundred Mexican supporters that at least will enhance the ambience.

I wanna know what's going on with Cisse. Haven't heard if he's coming back yet, and IMO that's a huge loss. Hope he is moving to a higher level if he's not sticking at Forge.

I'm going to take a stab at tomorrow's lineup:

Borges - Campbell - Browne

Hojabrpour - Bekker - Achinioti

Morgan - Krutzen - Samuel - Grant

Henry